Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Last evening my sister was visiting....she is a staunch republican (near to an extremist).....I am a conservative, and there is a difference. My sister is the kind of person who backs her political party no matter how corrupt they are, like so many people today.

I told her, that I'm so sick of politics and how corrupt our entire government is, that I may not vote, and she comes up with this insane come back and thats all it was...."well, if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain". To me, and for me, it is insane to vote when your voting for another puppet.

She said the only reason Obama got in for a second term is b/c a lot of people were to lazy to get up off their duffs and go to the polls to vote. I told her, they are not lazy, they are sick of it, b/c they give us no one to vote for. Of couse, she answers, "then you hold your breath and go in and vote for the lessor of two evils".

What the heck kind of answer is that, as if condoning corruptness....lawlessness.....just to get your party in. Bush did nothing for this country, and now Obama is even worse. I tried to explain to her, that no President or our government works for the people any longer, they work only for the corporations and the rich that tell them what to do....why do you think we've gone global.

Anyway, I am sick to death of this government and their antics....I asked her where she has been for the last 72 years, that in itself should prove to her, we go back and forth and back and forth and nothing ever gets done to fix our problems.....and it would be so easy to do so.

I really don't want this to be a party debate, who is worse or who caused what, b/c both sides are corrupt and I cannot believe more people don't see this....and why don't they see it.

I really would like to hear some intellectual thoughts on this and not fighting, and bickering on who it was that caused all this?

What is your take....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
It is so easy to talk politics because there is so much to complain about and everyone has an opinion. What is not so easy is to have a family member whose views are so opposite of yours. If there is a way you can get together with your sister and not talk politics then that would be ideal.
I have a relative who doesn't talk with me anymore due to us having a fallen out over politics. She is a nut, a kool aide drinking card carrying liberal who still believes Obama is the second coming. I am no staunch Republican but my thoughts are more conservative and boy do we bump heads anytime Obama is mentioned. She gives me media snippets and I give her the actual facts. She got so upset one day she said " I don't care about the facts"

The best thing you can do is enroll as a independent and vote for the best person for the job.
I don't know if our corrupt system can be fixed since it seems like every politician is out for themselves and America takes a baack seat. Voting is the only thing we can do about it but the squeeky wheel gets the most notice so raise a stink and break out your poison pen and write some opinion letters.

Good luck we need it.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
I think it is important for everyone to vote, even if it isn't one of the two big parties. Because one votes doesn't mean the person or party they are voting for are going to win, but it is a way for other parties to build a base to the point they might actually win elections.

Though it would also be useful for voters to push for changes in the law so that it makes it equal for any party to register for any election.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:40 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Last evening my sister was visiting....she is a staunch republican (near to an extremist).....I am a conservative, and there is a difference. My sister is the kind of person who backs her political party no matter how corrupt they are, like so many people today.

I told her, that I'm so sick of politics and how corrupt our entire government is, that I may not vote, and she comes up with this insane come back and thats all it was...."well, if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain". To me, and for me, it is insane to vote when your voting for another puppet.

She said the only reason Obama got in for a second term is b/c a lot of people were to lazy to get up off their duffs and go to the polls to vote. I told her, they are not lazy, they are sick of it, b/c they give us no one to vote for. Of couse, she answers, "then you hold your breath and go in and vote for the lessor of two evils".

What the heck kind of answer is that, as if condoning corruptness....lawlessness.....just to get your party in. Bush did nothing for this country, and now Obama is even worse. I tried to explain to her, that no President or our government works for the people any longer, they work only for the corporations and the rich that tell them what to do....why do you think we've gone global.

Anyway, I am sick to death of this government and their antics....I asked her where she has been for the last 72 years, that in itself should prove to her, we go back and forth and back and forth and nothing ever gets done to fix our problems.....and it would be so easy to do so.

I really don't want this to be a party debate, who is worse or who caused what, b/c both sides are corrupt and I cannot believe more people don't see this....and why don't they see it.

I really would like to hear some intellectual thoughts on this and not fighting, and bickering on who it was that caused all this?

What is your take....
Most people don't vote. If those people got off their lazy ass and voted for the choices they have other than Democrat and Republicans then maybe they wouldn't be so fed up or lazy.

Your sis is right. Don't vote? Don't complain.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:41 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Not privy to your entire conversation, so I don't know all arguments presented, however, if you don't vote in protest you are giving tactic approval to whoever gets into office. In politics, if you don't vote against something you are voting for it by allowing it to pass when your vote could have spelled the difference between a poor choice and a bad choice.

Nothing will change as long as so many people sit back and state "The choices are poor, so by not voting I'm telling them I don't support them", which allows the situation to get worse when the bad choice is allowed to advance from the inaction of the "protest non-vote".

If you want things to change you have to make them change. You either support someone with your views, or you run yourself. Always waiting for someone else to make the changes you want only results in failure.

The way our system of government operates is that it is the responsibility of the people to monitor and to demand a level of accountability from the representatives we hire through elections. If nobody votes, then the politicians see that nobody minds what they're doing, so it gets worse.

If the government isn't performing as the people desire, it's up to the people to make the changes necessary to restore order.

The election of 2014 was a good start, but the people have to keep up the pressure and support the representatives actually doing their job instead of throwing them under the bus if they don't meet someone's unrealistic expections. Politics is a constant work in process. You can't stop and say it looks good, because there are others waiting for their opportunity to cause more of the problems we have now.

It's up to the individual if they want to take part and become part of the citizens who own the title to this nation, or they can relinquish their power of the vote to those special intrests that have the destruciton of this country as their goal.

Up to you.

I vote.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think it is important for everyone to vote, even if it isn't one of the two big parties. Because one votes doesn't mean the person or party they are voting for are going to win, but it is a way for other parties to build a base to the point they might actually win elections.

Though it would also be useful for voters to push for changes in the law so that it makes it equal for any party to register for any election.

Shoving two Progressives at a Conservative voter and they will have better things to do, besides wasting their time.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Shoving two Progressives at a Conservative voter and they will have better things to do, besides wasting their time.
Because a conservative can't find an actual conservative to vote for? That just sounds lazy.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:50 PM

293 posts, read 317,004 times
Well, as much as I hate the system and we want to loathe it, we did create it. Our views and ideologies morphed into two parties no matter how hard we want to hate them.

One can try to break off into a more complex independent view of things, but Americans these days like things dumbed down. Therefore, creating a two party system (black and white) makes things easier to control and understand. Simple to deliver a quick message to constituents.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:53 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Millions of write-in votes would make a bigger impact for change than millions of people staying home on Election Day.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:54 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is so easy to talk politics because there is so much to complain about and everyone has an opinion. What is not so easy is to have a family member whose views are so opposite of yours. If there is a way you can get together with your sister and not talk politics then that would be ideal.
I have a relative who doesn't talk with me anymore due to us having a fallen out over politics. She is a nut, a kool aide drinking card carrying liberal who still believes Obama is the second coming. I am no staunch Republican but my thoughts are more conservative and boy do we bump heads anytime Obama is mentioned. She gives me media snippets and I give her the actual facts. She got so upset one day she said " I don't care about the facts"

The best thing you can do is enroll as a independent and vote for the best person for the job.
I don't know if our corrupt system can be fixed since it seems like every politician is out for themselves and America takes a baack seat. Voting is the only thing we can do about it but the squeeky wheel gets the most notice so raise a stink and break out your poison pen and write some opinion letters.

Good luck we need it.
believe me, I am enrolled as an independent and have been for years....I got sick of jumping back and forth, and the fact that there are so many extremists any more is scary.

As far as my sister, she knows how I feel, and she used to agree with me, but now that election time is drawing near, she is trying to get me to vote republican.....usually I do...but they make me sick....
An honest man would stand there and honestly tell Americans what he wants to do, to make these problem issues better....and then live up to them, without bashing another man/candidate....and they all do it, it is really sick, not to mention the liberal media.

I've written my representatives so much I'm probably on the FBI's most wanted list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies