Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:00 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times

Advertisements

More than one-third of all adults want to die early...judging by the fact that they are committing suicide with fork and spoon. Go to the mall and look around, or read the stats.

"Live for today." If that is your motto, I really don't care about your failure to provide for your future self. It is a free country, do what you want (and eat what you want), but please do not send me the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I think that euthanasia should and can be an option, kind of like the scene in Soylent Green, where "Sol" is enjoying his last moments in peace with the music and movie that he chose.
Euthanasia could also be an option to those in poor, overpopulated countries where futures are very bleak.
Perspective is everything. In those poor nations, the people get used to living without the latest gadgets from the get go. They will adjust to retirement better than most.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:06 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
BUT, you will have higher medical expenses (especially if medicare goes away) and will have to pay for services you were able to do yourself when you were younger.

One thing that surprised me about my dad getting older is he had to start getting pedicures because he could not cut his own toe nails and it was difficult for him to even do the nails on his hands. It is EXPENSIVE to have someone come to your home and do your nails because you can't. As the money ran out, it became my job to cut his toe nails . My step mother and my MIL both ended up in senior living centers that cost a bundle. My step mother had to pay for someone to administer her medications because of the possibility of her choking on them and she had to pay for housekeeping because she couldn't do it herself anymore. You WILL need that much of your final income or more to retire unless you happen to be privy to the date of your departure and can plan to run out of money just in time. Young people would be smart to start putting 15% of their income aside from day one.
I was talking about retirement, you are talking about the final years of life and assisted care, which is only a small fraction of retirement (in most cases).

Old 01-04-2015, 09:18 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
However, you may need to help with tuition for grandchildren, and also live close enough by to help out with childcare.
That would be your choice.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've been saying it for years. Once I retire, I'm refusing all medical treatment except palliative care. I have no children and no desire to live into my 80s or 90s. Quality, not quantity.
Agreed. Something "simple" like skin cancer and so on, I'll have it taken care of. Something serious that would have me cut open like a fish, hell NO!

Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
BZZT you lose.

$1000 per month disqualifies single childless adults from food stamps in some states e.g. Oregon.
Not in Arizona. The cut off is about 1,300 a month.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
1,000 a month won't even pay the taxes on a house in the larger cities. Add 300 for electric in the summer months, add more for water, gas and insurance. Sure, you can sell and move to a smaller city, but the hospitals aren't so hot. And what about dental, old people's teeth fall apart. 4,000 for a root canal and a crown, except now they are pushing implants at 8,000. 1,000 isn't going to cut car insurance or repairs either. Heck, paper products and over the counter meds can run 200. Sure, 1000 a month with a room mate in a ratty apartment, with no car, no internet, no cable, no toilet paper, no ever eating out, no visiting the grandkids and maybe sharing a cell phone. Yep, that sounds super. I'd rather be dead.
I'm in Bullhead City. Rent's 500 in a trailer on its own lot, my WORST electric bill summer of 2014 was about 140 dollars, "winter" bills WITH gas and electricity together, maybe 80, water is 15 dollars and so on. Like I said: it's all about choices.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And I will choose to do so before I run out of money and that should be my right. I figure I will be able to fund about 20 years of retirement IF social security is still there when I retire. When the money runs out, I'll be taking an overdose of something (I plan on finding a doctor who will let me experiment with drugs if I live to be 80. If I die from one, so beit. I'll die with a smile on my face.). I am not going to live OLD and in poverty or become a burden to my kids. When you're young there's hope of working your way out of a bad situation. When you're old there isn't.
Agreed.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:57 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've been reading this article online and it certainly sounds quite depressing.

"A new survey from Wells Fargo reinforces just how anxious middle-class Americans are over how much financial security they will have once they retire, if they can ever afford to.

Wells Fargo found that “22 percent of the middle class say they would rather ‘die early’ than not have enough money to live comfortably in retirement.”

This is the depressing state of retirement in America: survey questions that pose an early death as a viable alternative to comfortable retirement."

22 Percent Of Americans Would Rather Die Than Retire Without Enough Money

This one particular friend I have is certainly not lazy. He is making a little above average. For people like him who obviously live paycheck to paycheck, exactly how can he possibly save enough for retirement?

Thoughts?
I feel sorry for future retirees. Unless you are a professional worker you won't be able to save enough for your retirement along with raising a family. Our government doesn't seem to have enough tax dollars to help our seniors and vets but plenty of money to support illegal aliens or the welfare kings and queens who are just too lazy to work.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I feel sorry for future retirees. Unless you are a professional worker you won't be able to save enough for your retirement along with raising a family. Our government doesn't seem to have enough tax dollars to help our seniors and vets but plenty of money to support illegal aliens or the welfare kings and queens who are just too lazy to work.
agreed!

I know that I only have myself to depend upon. I started early with my own investment plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies