Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

I love how republicans like to eat their own. I hope they become so separated that the people get fed up with them and vote them all out in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:39 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If nothing gets done it won't be from lack of trying. I think the house and senate will do a brillant job, but our President isn't about to sign anything unless it is based on his ideas. This will not hurt the Republicans in 2016 but could sure hurt the Dems.
You mean like the last time they held both the House and Senate? The tea baggers are going to tear the house and senate apart and cry baby Boner and Mitchy won't be able to do anything to stop it. Great times.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I love how republicans like to eat their own. I hope they become so separated that the people get fed up with them and vote them all out in 2016.
When President Obama said "americans want that new car smell" do you think he was referring, "not another Clinton"

"I think the American people, you know, they're going to want that new car smell," Obama said in an interview that aired Sunday on ABC's "This Week." "You know, they want to drive something off the lot that -- that doesn't have as much mileage as me."

I did!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:20 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
I wouldn't classify this move to replace Boehner "eating their own". I would say it is following through on the election results.
Interesting contrast is with the shellacking the democrats took they are still happy with Pelosi and Reid. I would be more concerned about that than the Republicans who are looking to install leadership that reflects their new majority better than the current one.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

The only realistic opponent to John Boehner was Jeb Hensarling of Texas ..... he announced over a month ago that he would not run for Speaker. IF the Tea Party folks want to challenge Boehner, then they need to be a bit more inventive with their candidate.

Some suggestions:

Sarah Palin
Michelle Bachman
Rick Santorum
Mike Lee
Ted Cruz
Mark Levin
Shawn Hannity
Ron Paul
Name your favorite True Conservative

Too funny. You are Grubers target market!
Do you know what speaker of the house is, and how they and who they are chosen from?

Old 01-04-2015, 04:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

The Conservatives seem to be eating the Progressives in both parties.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
A house divided will not stand
There is division across the land
While our C & C has pen in hand
Frolicsome in the Hawaiian sand ...

.............Burma Shave

Old 01-05-2015, 07:14 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Do you know what speaker of the house is, and how they and who they are chosen from?
Well, according to the Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 3, "The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment."

I have a copy of the Constitution right here in front of me, and I can't find a thing in it that says said Speaker or Officers must be chosen from the members of the House.
If there is such a rule or law, please give a reference to it.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah..keep on hoping the Dems will take over the House and Senate yet again.
Geez...Another one who believes that the Republicans have a permanent majority.

Anyway...to the topic. ..

Louis Gohmert. Northeast Texas Goober extraordinaire.

Nothing would please me more.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, according to the Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 3, "The House of Representatives shall choose their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment."

I have a copy of the Constitution right here in front of me, and I can't find a thing in it that says said Speaker or Officers must be chosen from the members of the House.
If there is such a rule or law, please give a reference to it.
It's a bit of Government Trivia that very few are aware of ..... The Speaker of the US House of Representatives does NOT need to be a member of the US House.

Office of the Clerk - US House of Representatives FAQ

2. How is the Speaker of the House elected?
Article I, Section 2 of the U.S. Constitution states, "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers."

Although the Constitution does not require the Speaker to be a Member of the House, all Speakers have been Members.

The Speaker of the US House has a lot of power - he chooses who gets on Committees and all leadership positions. There are only 5 or 6 members who have stated they won't vote for Boehner - it's not all that unusual for there to be some that don't support the Speaker, Nancy Pelosi also had some. It is usual that those that openly buck the Speaker might find themselves marginalized when it comes to Committee assignments. There is no way that this group will get 29 votes to oppose Boehner.

Quote:
YEP ..... I did know, the real question now is ..... Did you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies