Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Multiple Choices (Can Choose More than One)
You Can Definitely Be Bullied Online 26 54.17%
I Don't Believe You Can Be Bullied Online 8 16.67%
The Only Way You Can Be Bullied is Physically in Person 7 14.58%
People Claiming Online "Bullying" Need to Get Tougher Skin, Stick Up for Themselves and or Just Ignore It 12 25.00%
Online "Bullying" is Just as Serious as Being Bullied in Person 12 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Many schools are instituting cyber-bullying rules where they WILL have a little talk with someone using social media to abuse people.

The big irony is that all these jack-arses doing this, might just leave a big fat cyber footprint about what kind of person they are as they try to go forward in life in terms of apply of jobs, schools etc.

I'm thinking a big fat libel\slander suit against the ring-leader would set the tone.
Wouldn't even have to follow through, just have the kids parents served with the papers at work.
Then have a little "sit down" with lawyers and see if they've addressed the issue.
Just recently, long-term cyber-bullying at my kids' high school resulted in an arrest when one of the targets finally got fed up and threatened violence against the school community. It's a mess, but many students are now fired up to do something about it, and I'm proud to see them taking a stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
When I first heard about online "bullying" I thought it was a joke.
It is.

Quote:
My generation was always taught "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt me".
That has nothing to do with bullying.

There's a physical component to bullying.

Bullying is effectively an assault -- threat, intimidation, fear-based coercion -- that is often consummated by battery (actual physical violence).

Quote:
So when I heard there were actually people commiting suicide and being emotionally scarred by people's opinions of them written online, I seriously thought these are some extremely thin skinned people who's parent's need to teach them how to stand up for themselves.
Yeah, they are definitely whacked.

Those people grew up sheltered being told they were some Indigo Star Child Special Snowflake thing, and when they get into the real world, not only do the realize they are not special, they are un-special.

Quote:
I don't know what the definition of online bullying is...
There isn't, but I'm sure Team PC has consulted with Göbbels to come up with one.

Quote:
I don't think you can compare real life physical bullying to something done at a distance online. Maybe a weaker version of intimidation but I don't think it should be called bullying. Give it another name.
It does have another name. It's called Co-Dependency.

You touched on it.

In class, on the play-ground, in the neighborhood, where can you go? You don't really have many options.

On-line? You have thousands of options.

So, what does it say, when those nutters keep going back --- aside from the fact that they're nutters?

It says they are Co-Dependent.

Co-Dependency is learned behavior. The child learned that from the parents, who if not in an Abuser-Abused relationship are alcoholics or drug users, or both abuse and substance abuse are involved.

It's no different than the woman who keeps running back to her lover (at enormous cost and expense to the tax-payers wasting precious Capital), because, you know, she "loves" him.

American society is very dysfunctional. Many, many, many emotionally ill (not the same as mentally ill) people running around.

You're watching Calhoun's Rat Utopia being played out before your very eyes. And technology is driving a lot of this. A successful healthy society has the majority of people being Independent or Inter-Dependent, and not Dependent or Co-Dependent.

Not joking....

Mircea

Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It is.

That has nothing to do with bullying.

There's a physical component to bullying.

Bullying is effectively an assault -- threat, intimidation, fear-based coercion -- that is often consummated by battery (actual physical violence).

Yeah, they are definitely whacked.

Those people grew up sheltered being told they were some Indigo Star Child Special Snowflake thing, and when they get into the real world, not only do the realize they are not special, they are un-special.

There isn't, but I'm sure Team PC has consulted with Göbbels to come up with one.

It does have another name. It's called Co-Dependency.

You touched on it.

In class, on the play-ground, in the neighborhood, where can you go? You don't really have many options.

So, what does it say, when those nutters keep going back --- aside from the fact that they're nutters?

It says they are Co-Dependent.

Co-Dependency is learned behavior. The child learned that from the parents, who if not in an Abuser-Abused relationship are alcoholics or drug users, or both abuse and substance abuse are involved.

It's no different than the woman who keeps running back to her lover (at enormous cost and expense to the tax-payers wasting precious Capital), because, you know, she "loves" him.

American society is very dysfunctional. Many, many, many emotionally ill (not the same as mentally ill) people running around.

You're watching Calhoun's Rat Utopia being played out before your very eyes. And technology is driving a lot of this. A successful healthy society has the majority of people being Independent or Inter-Dependent, and not Dependent or Co-Dependent.

Not joking....

Mircea
You obviously have no idea about cyber bullying. This bullying is going on starting with elementary kids. Why are you calling them nutters.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,151 times
Quote:

Not joking....

Mircea

I agree with SOME of this, not all of what you wrote above; you made a couple of good points here. ^

Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:

No, there are no options, because typically on-line bullying (or whatever you want to call it) is not about someone being mean to you directly, but rather distributing pictures, rumors or lies about you to everyone else. It destroys the reputation of the victim, and that person does not have an option, because it will continue even he/she never went back on-line.

If someone invented a story about you having sex with minors, and posted it on USA-Today, would it go away if you didn't read the paper? No, it would damage your reputation whether or not you read it.

I think the correct word is "defamation" or "libel".

Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, there are no options, because typically on-line bullying (or whatever you want to call it) is not about someone being mean to you directly, but rather distributing pictures, rumors or lies about you to everyone else. It destroys the reputation of the victim, and that person does not have an option, because it will continue even he/she never went back on-line.

If someone invented a story about you having sex with minors, and posted it on USA-Today, would it go away if you didn't read the paper? No, it would damage your reputation whether or not you read it.

I think the correct word is "defamation" or "libel".
Very nice explanation.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, so you have a 7th grade daughter who has a girl posting lies about her on-line like how she tried to steal another girls boyfriend by giving him oral sex and then her friends stop letting her sit with her at lunch, stop inviting her to parties etc.

She was protected by not being on social media?

Some of you seem really really out of the loop with regards to how things work with teens these days.

Just how old are some of you?
Also that other girl could upload a picture of the daughter, could even shop the picture ... And these things can spread so fast online there is no way to stop it.

During that entire time that 7th grader is being bullied without even being logged in or connected.

It seems we have many people here on CD who don't understand Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you aren't on "social media", it's pretty hard to be bullied online!
This is true, take the phones away, limit computer time, keep the kids busy learning and playing outdoors and they will be better off.

Online bullying is a man made disease. It's not too hard to figure out how to stop it, parents just need be parents and use a little common sense.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
This is true, take the phones away, limit computer time, keep the kids busy learning and playing outdoors and they will be better off.

Online bullying is a man made disease. It's not too hard to figure out how to stop it, parents just need be parents and use a little common sense.

Keeping your kid offline in no way stops them from being bullied online. They just wont know about it till they hear it at school. It might even be worse, they won´t have any chance to respond.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post

You would need to keep ALL the kids offline, during and after school. Also, you would need to ensure proper parenting. Good luck with this "not so hard" problem.

It seems many of you have no grasp of this problem.

With a child in first grade I already see kids with phones....I plan to be patrolling the web for my child's name, connecting with other parents to watch Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. If a child bullies online I plan on reporting them to police, school and parents. But unfortunately many people think this isn't a serious problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies