Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Multiple Choices (Can Choose More than One)
You Can Definitely Be Bullied Online 26 54.17%
I Don't Believe You Can Be Bullied Online 8 16.67%
The Only Way You Can Be Bullied is Physically in Person 7 14.58%
People Claiming Online "Bullying" Need to Get Tougher Skin, Stick Up for Themselves and or Just Ignore It 12 25.00%
Online "Bullying" is Just as Serious as Being Bullied in Person 12 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:02 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You would need to keep ALL the kids offline, during and after school. Also, you would need to ensure proper parenting. Good luck with this "not so hard" problem.

It seems many of you have no grasp of this problem.

With a child in kindergarten I plan to be patrolling the web for my child's name, connecting with other parents to watch Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. If a child bullies online I plan on reporting them to police, school and parents. But unfortunately many people think this isn't a serious problem.
It's only hard because people don't try. The problem is simple "Social Media" children don't need it. The solution is good parenting, your children don't need to be on social media, it serves no purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's only hard because people don't try. The problem is simple "Social Media" children don't need it. The solution is good parenting, your children don't need to be on social media, it serves no purpose.
Good parenting is not something that can just be implemented. The problem is even smart involved parents aren't as technically savvy as their kids. Most likely there will be an online neighborhood watch program created by the few tech parents to try and combat this.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:13 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
When I first heard about online "bullying" I thought it was a joke. My generation was always taught "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt me". I've never been a person who's cared what people think.
{snip}
It's probably a different generation thing. But am I being what some people probably think is insensitive, when I say I think these people claiming all of a sudden that they're being bullied online, need to just get tougher skin and learn how to stand up for themselves?.
If people mock and ridicule a person in public, making a big show of it in front of the class, on the bus, in the lunch room, in gym class, it's the same thing if they mock you in any public forum. Most bullies choose the above route, because they don't want to resort to physical attacks. A physical attack can get the bully suspended, and it's possible their intended victim might punch back. A verbal attack is not going to get the bully in trouble from the school, and they can do it anywhere with complete immunity from school discipline.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
But all there friends are and they can be bullied online without being online.

Try keeping a 12 year old girl away from social media, she will absolutly be online behind your back unless you live alone in a hut in the desert with no other humans for miles and keep her locked in the closet.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post

Try keeping a 12 year old girl away from social media, she will absolutly be online behind your back unless you live alone in a hut in the desert with no other humans for miles and keep her locked in the closet.
...and even then the closet probably has WiFi.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Keeping your kid offline in no way stops them from being bullied online. They just wont know about it till they hear it at school. It might even be worse, they won´t have any chance to respond.
They don't need to respond, that's part of the problem and that's what keeps it going.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:

It's called knowing what your child is doing, also you can buy phones and not have text or the internet on them, there is no reason a child needs this device in their hand 24/7, social skills should be obtained on a personal level not on a electronic device. A lot of adults need to learn this also.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
When I first heard about online "bullying" I thought it was a joke. My generation was always taught "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt me". I've never been a person who's cared what people think. If anything, I'll probably instigate and rub "it in, if I find out there's something you don't like about me. Just for fun. So when I heard there were actually people commiting suicide and being emotionally scarred by people's opinions of them written online, I seriously thought these are some extremely thin skinned people who's parent's need to teach them how to stand up for themselves. I don't know what the definition of online bullying is (haven't gave it enough thought to find out) but I don't think you can really be bullied online. So people talk bad about you, or to you, and maybe try to ruin you online in other ways (post pics), which yea.... I would think that would affect you more than just verbal assaults. But is that really bullying?. To me.. you've only been bullied that way if you've let it affect you. Cared what they thought. Plus a lot of things done online can just be ignored or deleted (like emails, facebook posts, replies to threads). A real bully.... in real life.... will physically do damage. Now that's a scar that you can't get rid of if it's serious enough, run from, delete or ignore. And can traumatize you with actual fear. That's bullying. Using force or intimidation that could result in physical pain or even death inorder to take advantage of you. I don't think you can compare real life physical bullying to something done at a distance online. Maybe a weaker version of intimidation but I don't think it should be called bullying. Give it another name.

It's probably a different generation thing. But am I being what some people probably think is insensitive, when I say I think these people claiming all of a sudden that they're being bullied online, need to just get tougher skin and learn how to stand up for themselves?.
People being bullied online should get thicker skin but not everyone is able to. Just like name calling in person will hurt some people more than others.

Quote:
A real bully.... in real life.... will physically do damage.
I have seen online bullying that is threatening violence.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 AM

794 posts, read 818,034 times
No, I don't think it is. I grew up in an era where bullying meant a possible a$$ kicking when confronted outside of the home. That's real bullying, as you are scared for your physical well being. Being hassled online is something you allow, not something you cannot control.

Kids today are such emotional wimps. Try growing up in the 70's and 80's. You have no idea how easy you have it.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
There is definitely such a thing as online bullying that results in serious harassment.

First, there are situations where real life bullying extends to internet sites like Facebook. Then, on anonymous message boards where a member's identity is found out and they become harassed and stalked in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies