Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Tyson is clearly an atheist and enjoys mocking religious people. He makes these cutesy, wink wink statements and then plays innocent about the meaning. So why is he afraid to actually come out and just say he is an atheist?
What makes you say he's an atheist? Creationists are a dying breed. Most religious people have no difficulty aligning their faith with science.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 01-06-2015 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Let me know when science figures out how to remove a fetus at conception to put inside someone else who would want to actually have that fetus. A woman shouldn't be forced to let a fetus grow inside her body if she doesn't want to have that.
Uhm?

Surrogate... Unless I'm missing something here.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Uhm?

Surrogate... Unless I'm missing something here.
Are there enough surrogates for the women who do not wish to carry a baby to term and raise it? A woman has the right to choose what grows inside her body, don't like that, don't knock a woman up.

Just like if you don't like Tyson poking fun at fairy tales, then don't follow him on Twitter or any other form of social media and you will be just fine.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
To those who are criticizing Tyson: Do you believe in a heliocentric solar system?
People were executed during the Roman Inquisition for suggesting this. Religion deserves to be ridiculed for any anti-science nonsense.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I went looking to see if the right-wing claim that it was a ratings disaster was true, and I found a list of all the awards the series has won. I won't post the list because it will make the right sad and we can't have that!
Well, certainly not. Posting an ordinary fact like that would be disrespectful of those that believe otherwise.

(Note - this is an example of *sarcasm*)

Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, uhh, I doubt they are 'on par' with the female fans of a movie star or pro athlete.

He can have those female fans.
You're just jealous you don't have thousands of smart women signed up for your tweets. How cute.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:37 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
He says he's agnostic, though prefers not to label himself as such. He's a man of science; he doesn't see any benefit to getting caught up in what word he wants to give his views on things.

In short, I think he supports what science says. He'll entertain any idea but he'll encourage that the presenter of the idea brings evidence with his idea for it to be taken truly seriously. To some, that makes him a bigot I guess.
And in fact, he's pretty clearly separated himself like people like Dawkins on this matter. And as an atheist (though one who doesn't really follow someone like Dawkins either), I can respect that. Seems to me that we should just call people what they want, within reason.

But yeah, he takes math and science seriously. And he's chosen the particular part of science that he wishes to study (astrophysics) and to communicate to the everyday man. And in addition, to be a public black scientist, in order to encourage other black people to go into that line of work as well.

And I have to laugh at the people whining about the supposed "second season" of Cosmos which was never in the plans, or his supposed lack of education credentials (he has a PhD is astrophysics). I'm technically more educated that Bill Nye, but I'd be very careful about going toe-to-toe with him, because my education let's me know that, in many subjects, he knows more than me. Taking on Neil Degrasse Tyson on these matters? Not a chance.

For the love of Greyskull, can't people just stay in their lanes?

Old 01-07-2015, 05:18 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Let me know when science figures out how to remove a fetus at conception to put inside someone else who would want to actually have that fetus. A woman shouldn't be forced to let a fetus grow inside her body if she doesn't want to have that.
I never said she should, my point is that liberals are just as anti-science as conservatives are when it suits them.

Another example is the promulgation that global warming is "settled science". Calling anything settled science is about as anti-science as you can get.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Tyson describes himself as agnostic, so no he is not an athiest.
I can dig it.

Being 100% sure in your beliefs whether it is atheist or a Christian is an arrogant position to hold. No one can ever know for sure.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:58 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You're just jealous you don't have thousands of smart women signed up for your tweets. How cute.
Jealous? LOL. Please.

I do quite well for myself, and they aren't groupies. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies