Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 06:00 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Because life should be fair and the world should always be kind? You're new here, huh?

Tell us about your world where unicorns poop strawberry ice cream and people fly powered by happy thoughts!

I thought this subject didn't bother you? you seem a bit worked up because I think kids shouldn't be called names. get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 06:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I thought this subject didn't bother you? you seem a bit worked up because I think kids shouldn't be called names. get a grip.
Not at all. Sticks and stones. Never bothered me a bit and I don't think it should bother anyone else. You're the one in a lather over it, self-congratulating on how you are above such things. If you're going to profess moral superiority, pick something worthwhile.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Yes- I agree with that. I just think the emphasis shouldn't be on the child, who didn't have anything to do with the legal arrangement of his or her parents when they got together to make him or her.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the point that people (both then men and the women) just seem wayyyyy too casual about having a baby with this man, then having a relationship with another dude that implodes, and then another, and so on. If the kid is having to deal with all of this drama, when they really should have a much more stable home environment, can the kid(s) at least be given the kindness to not be called "illegitimate??!"

Call me a prude (I readily admit it), but I think they are wayyyyy too casual about sex, period. Whatever happened to restraint?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Not at all. Sticks and stones. Never bothered me a bit and I don't think it should bother anyone else. You're the one in a lather over it, self-congratulating on how you are above such things. If you're going to profess moral superiority, pick something worthwhile.

you are prickly aren't you? I never claimed "moral superiority" nor was I "self congratulating" your words not mine. BTW just because you are not bothered by something doesn't mean other people feel the same way.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Because it helps single moms feel better about the fact their baby daddies didn't value them enough to marry them.
and sometimes the single mom would rather be single than marry the father of the child.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:30 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This thread thread leaves me stunned. I live just about as Father Knows Best as is possible in this world, and I'd like to castrate any man who walks away from his progeny. When people flippantly dismiss pregnancy as solely the responsibility of the woman, they are supporting irresponsible male sexuality. Is this really the way we want to raise our sons? I don't think so. It's certainly not the way I'm raising my sons.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:30 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't think he didn't "value himself" enough. I think it is selfishness. But, it's not an "outdated term." It is a legal term. It's meaning is still valid.
Well, I had to jump back in here to say that the replies so far are an answer to my pie-in-the-sky state of bewilderment. The mentality that gave rise to this insidious term is alive but not well. In regard to this reply, I am unconcerned about what the term means from a legal standpoint because the law only reflects the degree of enlightenment of the people. In common discourse, people are not using a legal definition - and that is even weak, in a practical sense.

It is just sick that people make the behavior of the parents a stigma on the innocent child. Don't the culture of life folks call every embryo a child of God? I am chuckling right now. I say embryo because conservatives are bleeding hearts about LIFE until the child is born - at which point they must pull themselves up by the bootstraps or the hades with with.

The point of my post is that there is no such thing as an illegitimate human being - period!
How can a human being be illegitimate? Define that in any way that makes sense without switching the topic to the sins of the parent.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I have always thought that to stigmatize children for the behaviors of their adult parents with such a term is simply bizarre. A father is a parent regardless of not having been married to the child's mother. -That has always been true whether or not society played stupid human tricks with reality due to their stupid bog-headed religious and social beliefs. Women also used to be the property of their husbands and thus took the surnames of their "owner" husbands. Women continue with this tradition regardless of the fact that it makes no sense and is rooted in a backward belief system.

What is remarkable is that I still hear people using the "illegitimate child" terminology. I feel that even if someone is speaking of a historical account, from a time when people held such absurd beliefs, that they should not use that terminology to describe a child born to such circumstances.
I agree it is a unfair label to put on a child, but in reality that is still what they are. Would it be better to call them bastards? There are way too many children being raised by single moms but that isn't the fault of the kids, that is the fault of casual sex. What ever happened to sex being part of true love?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Wrong. All children are legitimate.
Legitimate to whom?

Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
and sometimes the single mom would rather be single than marry the father of the child.
....which is why this is a topic for discussion rather than an automatic "that's pointless and hurtful, don't say it." People should not be having kids with people they are unwilling to marry. If a woman isn't willing to marry the father, she ideally should make sure she or he are using protection (as should he of course, it's a mutual responsibility), and failing that should abort. A tremendous number of the social and economic problems in modern American society are caused by the disintegration of the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies