Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 09:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This thread thread leaves me stunned. I live just about as Father Knows Best as is possible in this world, and I'd like to castrate any man who walks away from his progeny. When people flippantly dismiss pregnancy as solely the responsibility of the woman, they are supporting irresponsible male sexuality. Is this really the way we want to raise our sons? I don't think so. It's certainly not the way I'm raising my sons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Pretty soon no word will be safe.

Illegitimate child does not mean evil, sinful, horrible, unwanted, never-should-have-been-born love child of doooom!

It's a legal term used to mean, simply, that the parents weren't legally bound in matrimony.

That's ALL it means.

I wish people would stop assigning emotion (usually negative) to perfectly fine, literal words.
Why label a child because of the actions of his parents?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Why label a child because of the actions of his parents?
It's a matter of who is taking responsibility for raising that child properly. A child being a bastard or illegitimate is saying that the father doesn't recognize that child as being his official progeny and therefore not giving that child his surname nor intending to pass along his surname and when deceased any part of his possessions. It also shows disrespect to the child's mother and her family.

I suppose if a man is impoverished, having a bastard child doesn't make much difference. But as a man has more worldly possessions and wealth, having a bastard son is more of a slight to that child and the child's mother.

I'm not going to apologize for being traditional in my opinions. Children should only be born within wedlock and both parents committed to raising their children properly.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
I do not need a married at all.
Every couple should have the bc and kids talk.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It's a matter of who is taking responsibility for raising that child properly. A child being a bastard or illegitimate is saying that the father doesn't recognize that child as being his official progeny and therefore not giving that child his surname nor intending to pass along his surname and when deceased any part of his possessions. It also shows disrespect to the child's mother and her family.

I suppose if a man is impoverished, having a bastard child doesn't make much difference. But as a man has more worldly possessions and wealth, having a bastard son is more of a slight to that child and the child's mother.

I'm not going to apologize for being traditional in my opinions. Children should only be born within wedlock and both parents committed to raising their children properly.
In 2014 a man is held responsible for any children he fathers whether he is married to the mother, or not. The term has no relevance today.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
I have always thought that to stigmatize children for the behaviors of their adult parents with such a term is simply bizarre.
So you have a problem with Truth® and Reality®?

The bastard illegitimate child wasn't exactly on the Menu, right?

The Menu has:

Appetizer:
Hot Sex
Deception

Salad:
Hot Sex
Lying

Main Course:
Hot Sex
Broken Vows

For Afters:
Hot Sex
Debauchery

See?

Babies and Birth Control aren't on the Menu.

Quote:
A father is a parent regardless of not having been married to the child's mother.
No, a father is a sire.

A parent is someone involved in the child's upbringing and care.

Quote:
Women also used to be the property of their husbands and thus took the surnames of their "owner" husbands.
A Red Herring not relevant to the discussion, but thanks for proving your rant is weak.

Quote:
Women continue with this tradition regardless of the fact that it makes no sense and is rooted in a backward belief system.
Again, a Red Herring combined with Propaganda & Disinformation.

There are many matrilineal societies on this Earth, which use the mother's last name.

Additionally, for Slavic and Balkan societies (excluding Romania) the woman has the choice of keeping her name, or adopting her husband's name and feminizing it or using both her and her husband's name, you know, the hyphen thing.

Quote:
What is remarkable is that I still hear people using the "illegitimate child" terminology.
Illegitimate children are accidents, you know, mistakes.

Quote:
I feel that even if someone is speaking of a historical account, from a time when people held such absurd beliefs, that they should not use that terminology to describe a child born to such circumstances.
We can call them "bastards."

Will that make you feel better?

How about this....child whose mother's brain is smaller than her clitoris?

Do you have some Politically Correct term in mind?

Well, let's hear it so we can get a good laugh,

Signed....

Illegitimate Bastard Child

Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Any male can father a child. But it takes a man to be a father.

A male who doesn't see the importance of being head of the family that he started is not worth the time to even talk about.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:47 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,988,207 times
I haven't heard the term "illegitimate" used in real life regarding a child in probably 20 years. I'm surprised how many here defend it. It's a useless, archaic word, as is the expression "love child." If you're still using it, you might want to reconsider.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:05 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
[quote=nmnita;37886170]I agree it is a unfair label to put on a child, but in reality that is still what they are. Would it be better to call them bastards? There are way too many children being raised by single moms but that isn't the fault of the kids, that is the fault of casual sex. What ever happened to sex being part of true love?[/quote]

This. Can't rep you again, but you nailed it.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:11 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
I have always thought that to stigmatize children for the behaviors of their adult parents with such a term is simply bizarre. A father is a parent regardless of not having been married to the child's mother. -That has always been true whether or not society played stupid human tricks with reality due to their stupid bog-headed religious and social beliefs. Women also used to be the property of their husbands and thus took the surnames of their "owner" husbands. Women continue with this tradition regardless of the fact that it makes no sense and is rooted in a backward belief system.

What is remarkable is that I still hear people using the "illegitimate child" terminology. I feel that even if someone is speaking of a historical account, from a time when people held such absurd beliefs, that they should not use that terminology to describe a child born to such circumstances.
Perhaps we should call them "undocumented" ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies