Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:36 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That's great.. I have a .308 Winchester, which IS the standard.
10s are heavy, just sayin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yepimonfire View Post
People have to realize that laws only apply to law abiding citizens. Not even a month ago to police were shot with a fully automatic rifle in the town I live in. Thought we weren't allowed to own those?
Maybe you can post a link to the story, eh? Also do you understand the difference between semi-automatic and fully automatic? I'd like to see this story where it says two cops were shot with a legally owned fully automatic weapon.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yepimonfire View Post
People have to realize that laws only apply to law abiding citizens. Not even a month ago to police were shot with a fully automatic rifle in the town I live in. Thought we weren't allowed to own those?
Is there a link to the local news story? Full auto violence is pretty rare.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default What is your opinion on Americans owning Assault Rifles?

I don't own one.

But as a guy who enjoys shooting and owns a variety of other firearms, I fully grasp the allure of the AR style rifles. They're light, accurate, reliable, have good ergonomics, and light recoil. There are literally millions of them currently in the hands of responsible, law-abiding gun owners across America. And they cause no one any trouble.

Keeping them (and other forms of weaponry) away from the mentally defective - that's the issue.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
People can make full auto weapons from scratch it's not rocket science.
If you bother to keep up with what' going on even the Taliban are machining their weapons, it not new.
Criminals will choose soft targets (the defenseless ) before they choose some one even suspected of being capable of defending them self.
With the rise of gun sales, violent crime has dropped around the country, but it is hard for the democrats to accept.
As for clashes with police particularly with blacks this is going to be an on going issue so long as black leaders keep pushing the war. Kids want to prove their ethnic strength and act thusly. Tools.
Islamic groups working toward breaking down America have their stake in stirring the blacks as well, knowing the violent nature.
The chief Islamic threat is in the White House. He is a Marxist bent on America's destruction. Fact.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Honestly, I see no reason that a civilian should own one. But guns are in our world, now, so America certainly can't get rid of theirs.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I don't own one.

But as a guy who enjoys shooting and owns a variety of other firearms, I fully grasp the allure of the AR style rifles. They're light, accurate, reliable, have good ergonomics, and light recoil. There are literally millions of them currently in the hands of responsible, law-abiding gun owners across America. And they cause no one any trouble.

Keeping them (and other forms of weaponry) away from the mentally defective - that's the issue.
I've been thinking that a revival of the DCM program, with decent funding, good instructors, and affordable, surplus rifles would be a good idea. When CBS ran that smear piece on the DCM, back in the late 80s, they depicted the program as a "fleecing" of Americans. Wild accusations of gangs and other violent criminals getting rifles from it, and other such spew.

M14s and old Garlands were the flagships of the DCM program, and , while it is true one could get a rifle for a decent price from them (after passing the qualification and training) criminals getting guns there is pure bilge. Still, their tactic worked. The program has been gutted and flayed to nothing. The best thing we had for proper training, quality rifles, and screening of applicants for surplus rifles, as well,....poof!

Yep, now the feds give surplus rifles to third world nations, and they get smuggled here, straight to the bad guys. The gangs now have their very own DCM, and the anti gunners called a program that helped decent, law abiding people become responsible, armed citizens a "fleecing" of America.

Promoting responsibility, proper safety, marksmanship, and allowing v tax paying citizens a chance to own a rifle , that is a piece of history, is a baaaaaaad thing. Much better, it is, to just give these weapons away to warlords and dictators, so they can profit from them and use them against US interests. Thanks CBS. Your support of anti firearms agendas has ensured the utter WASTE of our tax dollars, and made the world a more dangerous place. Good on ya!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
The way I see it A responsible individual is responsible of their own security . When one makes another person responsible for said security they become a slave to that person. and have neither freedom nor security.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:35 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've been thinking that a revival of the DCM program, with decent funding, good instructors, and affordable, surplus rifles would be a good idea. When CBS ran that smear piece on the DCM, back in the late 80s, they depicted the program as a "fleecing" of Americans. Wild accusations of gangs and other violent criminals getting rifles from it, and other such spew.

M14s and old Garlands were the flagships of the DCM program, and , while it is true one could get a rifle for a decent price from them (after passing the qualification and training) criminals getting guns there is pure bilge. Still, their tactic worked. The program has been gutted and flayed to nothing. The best thing we had for proper training, quality rifles, and screening of applicants for surplus rifles, as well,....poof!

Yep, now the feds give surplus rifles to third world nations, and they get smuggled here, straight to the bad guys. The gangs now have their very own DCM, and the anti gunners called a program that helped decent, law abiding people become responsible, armed citizens a "fleecing" of America.

Promoting responsibility, proper safety, marksmanship, and allowing v tax paying citizens a chance to own a rifle , that is a piece of history, is a baaaaaaad thing. Much better, it is, to just give these weapons away to warlords and dictators, so they can profit from them and use them against US interests. Thanks CBS. Your support of anti firearms agendas has ensured the utter WASTE of our tax dollars, and made the world a more dangerous place. Good on ya!
I totally agree with this post. It would be good if all those M1 Garands in Korea they want to get rid of as surplus could be put back into the DCM program and re-activated.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I totally agree with this post. It would be good if all those M1 Garands in Korea they want to get rid of as surplus could be put back into the DCM program and re-activated.
I would love to have a Garand. An M14 would be fine to. I bad to sell my M1A NM. My Dad had a Garand NM when be shot for the Navy. What a SWEET piece! A civilian populace, armed with such rifles and properly versed in their use, would be a force to be reckoned with. A couple hundred well maintained Garand, in the hands of crack shots, on the side of good, would keep any community safe and secure.

Though not an "assault weapon", by today's definition, the old War Horse is a powerful, accurate and highly effective piece, and 1000 yards is well within its realm of influence. Truly, it even fits into the limitations the anti gunners say would be proper. Under 10 rounds capacity, no bottom detachable mag, no protruding pistol grip, wooden furniture (no evil black poly) no muzzle brake, perfect. Every decent, honest citizen should have one, courtesy of the federal govt. With 2000 rounds of M2 ball and a large package of en blocs, wrapped in Cosmo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies