Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
lol
So that is an admission that you lack the will to physically do anything?

Thought so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
They tried this same thing with the minimum wage protests and they fizzled because the people didn't care. They had to ship people in to protest. That isn't the case here. These protests are happening in many areas of the country.
Perhaps because the race card was not forced to the forefront on minimum wage.

Playing on the insecurity and frustrations to take illegal actions is just the method those like you would support is just your newest tactic.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, no I don't the supreme court specifically uses the word and says you cannot block entrance to an abortion clinic. You CAN protest on the sidewalk and say "don't do it" or whatnot to people walking to the building but you cannot block them from entering.

Not sure why you are now disagreeing with the unanimous finding of the Supreme court you were touting earlier. Just want to take the half you like and throw out the other half or did you not read the whole thing....which seems to be a persistent issue.
Were people blocked in NYC from getting to where they want to go? Did anyone get arrested? If 1000 people are on a sidewalk they can not put their hands on you but they have as much of a right to be there as you.

Can you push your way through? I wouldn't get too physical.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Were people blocked in NYC from getting to where they want to go? Did anyone get arrested? If 1000 people are on a sidewalk they can not put their hands on you but they have as much of a right to be there as you.

Can you push your way through? I wouldn't get too physical.
If you are unclear then go back and re-read the Supreme court ruling.

Here is an example:
25 arrested in protest at Oakland Police Department headquarters | abc7news.com

If you want more then you can google "protesters arrested for blocking entrance".

Please note that the police either in trying to diffuse a situation or under political direction don't always arrest people when they otherwise could.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:33 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Protesting the government is protected, but it does not protect you from getting your ass kicked by a civilian.
Derp. If you use free speech, and a civilian assaults you because of it, they are breaking the law... duh.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
absolutely everything is debatable.

do you think an award ceremony for a 100 year old WW2 hero is the appropriate place to howl and gibber 'hands up!' ?
Uh, any public place is the appropriate place to utilize free speech. Get over it.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You don't understand the constitution, obviously. Your right end where mine begin. You cannot "assemble" in a place that blocks my path to work.
Show me your constitutionally guaranteed right to traverse public areas without being inconvienenced by people utilizing their first amendment rights.... I'll wait.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you are unclear then go back and re-read the Supreme court ruling.

Here is an example:
25 arrested in protest at Oakland Police Department headquarters | abc7news.com

If you want more then you can google "protesters arrested for blocking entrance".

Please note that the police either in trying to diffuse a situation or under political direction don't always arrest people when they otherwise could.
I never claimed you can chain yourself to a building.

Oakland police told ABC7 News that there were no permits issued for Monday morning's action and that it came as a surprise to city planners and law enforcement.

Officers arrested at least 13 people who had chained themselves to the entrances of the police building at 455 Seventh St. starting around 7:30 a.m.

P.S. they do not need a permit to protest.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Show me your constitutionally guaranteed right to traverse public areas without being inconvienenced by people utilizing their first amendment rights.... I'll wait.
You are BOTH correct depending upon the extent of the "blocking"\"inconvenience".

per the supreme court you can protest on the sidewalk of an abortion clinic but you cannot block people such that they can't enter the place.

Things like laying in front of the doors so they can't be opened or forming a human wall....those would get you arrested as you are infringing on the rights of others at that point.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I never claimed you can chain yourself to a building.

Oakland police told ABC7 News that there were no permits issued for Monday morning's action and that it came as a surprise to city planners and law enforcement.

Officers arrested at least 13 people who had chained themselves to the entrances of the police building at 455 Seventh St. starting around 7:30 a.m.

P.S. they do not need a permit to protest.
They were charged with "blocking the entrance to a public building". People get arrested that way for anything from chaining themselves to the building or just using passive resistance (aka lying there) or just standing there and refusing to disperse.

Please note that onnly 13 out of hundreds were arrested with those protesting on the sidewalk being uncharged.

Protesting on sidewalk = Free Speech
Blocking entrance <> Free Speech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies