Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I was rereading articles regarding the pregnant UPS worker case which went to the Supreme Court and wondered what peoples thoughts were on the subject. They still haven't made a decision on that case.

How much does a company really owe a woman just because she decided to get pregnant? Other than what's on the law books of course. Shouldn't she have thought about the consequences before she decided to get pregnant while working at a job that requires a lot of lifting?

It just seems like a lot of these women expect a lot of preferential treat to the detriment of the rest of the corporate and working world. If they put a pregnant women into a light duty job doesn't that take a job away from someone else? The light duty work was there regardless of whether she got pregnant or not. So someone must have been doing that work right?

As an old millennial that has never had kids I just don't know what to make of it after some things I have seen in the corporate world. I might have a skewed view since I'm one of the people that think people with kids in general get a better deal in the corporate world compared to the people without children.
Surely we are a rich enough, generous enough a nation that we can extend a bit of consideration to those who bring life into this world.

I dont know about you, but I believe that when we honor life, we are all the better for it.

When we honor money, when we honor the so called free market over life, we are lacking.

JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:20 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Companies should not be penalized for peoples personal choices.
The law disagrees .

Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I work with a serious "breeder" She's probably early 30s with FIVE kids and working on the next one. Each time she's gone the rest of us have to pick up the slack. She's been away from work more than here and I doubt she's gone more than a month after birth before she's pregnant again(She announces it). Sounds fair, right?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:36 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I work with a serious "breeder" She's probably early 30s with FIVE kids and working on the next one. Each time she's gone the rest of us have to pick up the slack. She's been away from work more than here and I doubt she's gone more than a month after birth before she's pregnant again(She announces it). Sounds fair, right?
When you created this story you should have added that she is a drug addict and abuses welfare as well. It would have made things so much more entertaining.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I was rereading articles regarding the pregnant UPS worker case which went to the Supreme Court and wondered what peoples thoughts were on the subject. They still haven't made a decision on that case.

How much does a company really owe a woman just because she decided to get pregnant? Other than what's on the law books of course. Shouldn't she have thought about the consequences before she decided to get pregnant while working at a job that requires a lot of lifting?

It just seems like a lot of these women expect a lot of preferential treat to the detriment of the rest of the corporate and working world. If they put a pregnant women into a light duty job doesn't that take a job away from someone else? The light duty work was there regardless of whether she got pregnant or not. So someone must have been doing that work right?

As an old millennial that has never had kids I just don't know what to make of it after some things I have seen in the corporate world. I might have a skewed view since I'm one of the people that think people with kids in general get a better deal in the corporate world compared to the people without children.
"It just seems like a lot of these women expect a lot of preferential treatment'

Many are hypocrites.

On one hand the cry and whine about "equality" then they cry and whine about "special" treatment.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It just seems like a lot of these women expect a lot of preferential treatment'

Many are hypocrites.

On one hand the cry and whine about "equality" then they cry and whine about "special" treatment.
I'm all for gender equality but not to the point of where we completely ignore the differences between genders like pregnancies and menstrual cycle. There is a lot of hypocrisy with modern feminism.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
How much will companies have to bow down?
Enough to avoid getting sued by pregnant employees, of course.

Pregnancy is a temporary imparment, just like a badly broken hip or any medical condition that requires a long time to recover from. But in the case of pregnancy, a healthy mother can return to work much quicker now than ever before. We don't have problems with all the men who think they are armor plated and get into stupid accidents, or even put themselves into jeopardy intentionally. What's the big difference with pregnancy?

If a few mild restrictions are necessary for a job to help produce a healthy baby, they are better for all of us than any other alternative. Sick babies cost us all a lot more money than healthy babies, and until American business can come up with making a better baby than a healthy human mother, they had best snap out of it and allow nature to take its best course.

If a woman needs a little more time off after giving birth, why should she fear losing her job suddenly if she was a good employee before she became pregnant? What's wrong with a good solid bond between mother and child?

America needs more children as it is. Making things hard for women won't ever make that fact better. Do we want to become another France, where the birth rate is drastically declining? I don't think so. Women now have to work, and women are most often the most reliable workers. Give moms a break. It's patriotic.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:09 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think this one falls under the heading, "Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD."

You can fire a pregnant woman because she can no longer do the heavy lifting, but you shouldn't. It's a PR nightmare.

My workplace has a special room for nursing women who need to use a breast pump. Nobody required them to provide that room, but they decided it would be a nice perk. It's a good idea. Keep your employees happy.

Also, say they do fire the pregnant woman. Now all the breeding age women that work at UPS will be terrified at the idea of getting pregnant. Is that a good work environment? Is it really that much of a hardship for these companies to reassign these women to desk jobs? What about employees that get too old to do the heavy lifting? Do you fire them because they chose to get old?

I think legally, UPS was in the right. But it's still a stupid business decision.
My company uses a room for breastfeeding women to pump their milk. The only problem is they had a camera in that room to monitor employees who work in that tiny room. I don't think the young mothers who had to use that room knew about the camera.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:02 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I don't think employers owe pregnant women anything....as good citizens and employers they should want to help their employees with their lives including accommodating pregnant women. The government should be involved in assuring pregnant women have all the health care they need for a successful pregnancy and delivery.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Surely we are a rich enough, generous enough a nation that we can extend a bit of consideration to those who bring life into this world.

I dont know about you, but I believe that when we honor life, we are all the better for it.

When we honor money, when we honor the so called free market over life, we are lacking.

JMHO.
Honoring the free market is what gives you enough prosperity to be able to afford honoring pregnant women without going broke in the process.

Exhibit A of this is the current Democrat party, that lionizes social spending and demonizes business, with the result that we run hundreds of billions of dollars in debt every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies