Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Even with the poll being rigged by referring to question about the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation techniques as "torture" (which they weren't), a landslide 76% of Americans support the use of these techniques, especially when in a "ticking time bomb" type scenario.
They are torture.

It's the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.

Are your English language skills so poor that you can't understand?

At lot of Americans support a British-style National Death System. Oh, sorry, National Health System.

That doesn't mean they're right.

The only thing you have done is presented a Fallacy:

Double Standard
There are many situations in which you should judge two things or people by the same standard. If in one of those situations you use different standards for the two, your reasoning contains the fallacy of using a double standard.

For you, the beliefs of the Majority only count when you agree with the Majority.

How many of the people polled would allow the techniques to be used on themselves?

Torture for Thee, but not for Me.....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:24 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
From the Washington Post:

Even with the poll being rigged by referring to question about the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation techniques as "torture" (which they weren't), a landslide 76% of Americans support the use of these techniques, especially when in a "ticking time bomb" type scenario.
First, there was never anything like a ticking time bomb scenario described in the report.

Second, neither domestic laws nor international accords are nullified by newspaper polls.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:

This is an excellent article. You guys should check it out.

Even with the vast majority of the media going "all-in" to promote the left's narrative on this, Americans still support the policies used by the Bush Administration. Which after 9/11, did keep us safe after all.
Well, hopefully this will put to rest any pretense that we are better than they. Enhanced interrogation techniques, along with collateral damage, is becoming one of my favorite euphemisms.

[sleep well, people, sleep well...zzzzzz]

Old 01-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:

Even with the vast majority of the media going "all-in" to promote the left's narrative on this, Americans still support the policies used by the Bush Administration. Which after 9/11, did keep us safe after all.
Your article is about an opinion poll , you know that right ?

having an opinion is not the same as a fact.

At one point, it was the opinion of people that the world was flat, it was not a fact, and was later discovered to be completely false. The is true here.

people BELIEVE, that the CIA's torture provided information that kept us safe, that is an opinion, not a fact. the report by the SIC says that opinion is based on a lie.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:36 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The vast majority of Germans agreed at the beginning of world war 2 as well.

I know many people on the right who vehemently disagree with torture, many of them former veterans.

Then look at the wording of the poll:

Often vs's sometimes? Really? That covers a huge range. This is how you manipulate polling data.

and 58% is a "vast majority"? No its not.

And where do you get the 76 percent number? I dont see that in the article.

Kind of like "almost no doubt".
Now you understand.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If it could save an American life, I would yank fingernails and toenails drill kneecaps wire nuts for sound and pluck out eyes. The health and comfort of terrorists matters very little to me.
Then you need to put a stop to people driving cars, to fracking, to politicians sending our young men and women off to war when we have not been attacked. (Non of which I advocate, other than the last one, but all just to help you support your cause to save American Lives.)

Most of all, you need to realize that "saving one American life" could cost more American lives.

This soundbite that you like to recite makes even less sense than all the "green" idiots who want to ban big oil (while they serve organic rack of lamb to their guests in their 4,000 S.F. Home that has a solar panel on the top to make them feel good.)

Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Kind of like "almost no doubt".
Now you understand.
Ahhh how special, i am being stalked in multiple threads by the definition police.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

I can see some Republicans running on a "more torture" platform in 2016, but I do not think it will be a successful campaign.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I can see some Republicans running on a "more torture" platform in 2016, but I do not think it will be a successful campaign.
Expect them to run on a pro-national security platform, with emphasis on supporting our friends and allies more than our enemies. And if you think that will not be well received, you do not know very much about politics or the priorities and values of the American people.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:08 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
I think a more important poll would be to ask if these enhanced interrogation techniques would be acceptable for general use on people suspected of crimes. Maybe even used to get a confession. That is the real problem with approving of torcher. It opens up the back door to bring it home and be use against those in favor of it. Just as we have a attitude of them against us where the general population is the enemy of those with the power to make or enforce laws. We now open the door of acceptability to have it used to our detriment. Maybe the ones who scream the loudest will be the ones who were for it.

I think at the least it violates the spirit of the constitution concerning cruel and unusual punishment for those not even convicted of a crime. But if your in favor of it, then by all means, welcome it when you are caught in the wrong area at the right time and singled out for the treatment based on suspicion with no supporting evidence. Oh -- your innocent -- my bad, have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies