Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 03:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

And so far 11 counties in Florida have decided to stop having court house ceremonies.

Pasco clerk on gay wedding ceremonies: Not us, not yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 03:38 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It would be better if the people of the state of Florida wanted this new definition of marriage, and not just some activist judge forcing it down people's throats, eh?
Yes, of course it would. But at least those families are now able to receive the protections that come with legal marriage. In time, others will grow to accept them. Much happiness for them..

Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM

152 posts, read 142,603 times
Another non-issue for this bleeding heart libertarian.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It would be better if the people of the state of Florida wanted this new definition of marriage, and not just some activist judge forcing it down people's throats, eh?
Who is being forced to change what they consider marriage? Are all of the heterosexual couples being forcefully divorced and remarried to same sex partners? If not, then there is no effect on their lives or marriages.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The Republicans are backing away from their anti-gay rhetoric.
True, but it also took a long time for Democrats to get over being anti-black.

I have no issue with gay marriage myself. My only problem with marriage is government involvement. Marriage needs to be a social and/or religious contract. The government has no business in marriage and should get out of the licensing of it completely.

Any consenting adult should be able to declare they are married to any other, or even multiple, adult(s).

It's not the business of anyone else.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Another nail in the coffin of the opposition to marriage equality.

Good.

Florida was the 36th state (and D.C.)where gay and lesbian couples can legally marry, and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeal refused to halt the marriages from happening despite Florida's Attorney General Pam Bondi's strenuous attempts to do so. A very telling decision.

The game is almost over. The Republicans are backing away from their anti-gay rhetoric. The group that was the main opposition to marriage equality - the National Organization for Marriage (NOM) - is broke and in debt and in disarray. For them it is like a Greek Tragedy, going through the motions of trying to put on a brave face ... but it's over. Historical analogy: Richmond has fallen and Lee's tattered remnant of an army is wearily marching towards Appomattox.
Now, a whopping 70% of Americans live in a Marriage Equality state!!! HOORAY.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And so far 11 counties in Florida have decided to stop having court house ceremonies.

Pasco clerk on gay wedding ceremonies: Not us, not yet
There shouldn't be any courthouse ceremonies anywhere. Government should be out of the marriage business.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:45 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Congratulations to every couple.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
True, but it also took a long time for Democrats to get over being anti-black.

I have no issue with gay marriage myself. My only problem with marriage is government involvement. Marriage needs to be a social and/or religious contract. The government has no business in marriage and should get out of the licensing of it completely.

Any consenting adult should be able to declare they are married to any other, or even multiple, adult(s).

It's not the business of anyone else.
In a way, I agree with you. I am myself gay and have gay friends who blindly worship in the Catholic Church, which STILL even with Pope Francis, gives them a subservient status. If religious churches bestowed this contract, then ppl like my friend would more likely cleave away from the injustices that the Catholic Church metes out to them. Of course, this would mean NO special government benefits that the government bestows on married couples. all individuals would be taxed the same and not given less than married people.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:48 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
The same bureaucrats that approve hetero relationships.
Hahaha, burrrrrrrn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies