Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If they are rioting and looting hell ya. I don't consider shooting dirtbag criminals murder btw.
Criminals are humans with rights. Criminals get the right of due process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think this is harsh, taser and ass kicking might be better.

How much do you want to bet, if two or three are taken down, how many more will step forward to break windows and set fires?
Criminals are not animals. Your statement is vile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Prosecuting law breakers as it should be.

Do you understand what kind of regime YOU are describing? You think mob rule and anarchy is Ok?

People have learned nothing since Martin Luther King.

I hope you are able to see the distinction I am trying to point out. In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law, as would the rabid segregationist. That would lead to anarchy. One who breaks an unjust law must do so openly, lovingly, and with a willingness to accept the penalty. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

But of course what todays "protesters" really want is carte blanche to riot, loot and assault without being prosecuted.
No. What makes you an expert on what the 99%+ of the peaceful protesters want?

Have you participated in any of the protests?

They want a fair criminal justice system.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-06-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post and reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:14 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Peaceful or not, the leaders of this protest knew they were breaking the law. Most of the people who participated thought they were engaging in a peaceful and legal protest. But even they never thought to look past their own actions and see what their protest was going to do to the thousands of other people trying to shop, nor how it would adversely affect shop owners on one of the busiest shopping days of the year.
The law of the land is the constitution.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Criminals are humans with rights. Criminals get the right of due process. Criminals are not animals. Your statement is vile Your racism is blatantly vile.,,No. What makes you an expert on what the 99%+ of the peaceful protesters want Have you participated in any of the protests? They want a fair criminal justice system.
Seems that you have concluded the rioters are criminals. Then using your own standards, they should be charged with crime. Case closed.

Since you are lobbing charges of racism, what is your definition of this word?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This here......one thing to protest another to destroy buildings and injuring people. Charge everyone of them for blocking streets and the loss of income others had to endure.
Yeah, money matters more than lives, right?

The point of protesting is to disrupt normal activity so that people become aware of the problem. These particular protestors did not loot, they did not burn, they did not hurt people. They simply kept people from going to stores. Wow!

The police were the ones who decided to close the stores, btw.

The city should go after the police who kill black people with the same zeal they are going after the protestors with.

Can the Mall of America block free speech on their premises because the corporations lose money? Can they choose who can assemble on the property? Last year, for example, the Mall allowed around 7,000 people to gather in the same rotunda to honor a young white man who died of cancer. Suburban malls are public spaces serving the same function as the old town square used to. Why should the average American be silenced by corporations?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:

They want a fair criminal justice system.
Now they will get a chance to be IN the criminal justice system.

They can see first hand how the system works.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:35 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,215,678 times
I say fine them to cover court costs and restitution for the stores that were forced to close then give the protestors community service hours to be carried out in a predominantly black neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,094,775 times
They were offered a location outside of the mall to legally protest but instead chose to protest inside on private property fully knowing they would be charged. They made their choice, now they should live with their decisions. They selfishly punished innocent citizens who did nothing wrong. If they had protested outside the mall they still could have gotten their message across, even before people entered the mall.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Can the Mall of America block free speech on their premises because the corporations lose money? Can they choose who can assemble on the property? Last year, for example, the Mall allowed around 7,000 people to gather in the same rotunda to honor a young white man who died of cancer. Suburban malls are public spaces serving the same function as the old town square used to. Why should the average American be silenced by corporations?
See underlined.

Town squares were not private property.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:02 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,264,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Prosecuting law breakers as it should be.

Do you understand what kind of regime YOU are describing? You think mob rule and anarchy is Ok?

People have learned nothing since Martin Luther King.

I hope you are able to see the distinction I am trying to point out. In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law, as would the rabid segregationist. That would lead to anarchy. One who breaks an unjust law must do so openly, lovingly, and with a willingness to accept the penalty. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

But of course what todays "protesters" really want is carte blanche to riot, loot and assault without being prosecuted.
This is the real danger in just ignoring the Mob Actions when they openly break laws.
It does lead to even more lawlessness and a Mob Rule type of mentality.
NOBODY is above the Law, there are NO "special" people who should just get a PASS on the Law.
Not the Police Officers and not the Mobs ..... we have Laws and a Judicial Process. We have to use them, OR lawfully change them as needed. Mob Rule is not an answer and neither is a type of "street justice".

Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
So you want American citizens murdered because you don't agree with them?
It's one thing to protest and have your voice heard. It's quite another to incite fear in the public, cause harm to innocent people, or destroy private property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If they are rioting and looting hell ya. I don't consider shooting dirtbag criminals murder btw.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. I have no sympathy for anything bad that happens to looters or those bent on harming innocent people and destroying private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies