Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
People don't care about "over there" if they did those 133ish children would be at the top of every news source and still there...not the oh look...children were killed and now look at what rush limbaugh said...blah blah blah....from the leftist news....

Of course they are great, you know what is even greater, showing they just don't give a damn, cutting people heads off....hell, did you miss the Pairs events of the last few weeks? Talk about a damn good recruiting plan...
Like it or not other countries and terror groups develop an opinion based on our actions and it does impact us, preaching that we are the world leader in democracy while we hold people for 10 years without trial is hypocritical, not to mention we spend $3M a year per detainee .

Kelly Ayotte says we need 2 more years, 10 wasn't enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:02 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Like it or not other countries and terror groups develop an opinion based on our actions and it does impact us, preaching that we are the world leader in democracy while we hold people for 10 years without trial is hypocritical, not to mention we spend $3M a year per detainee .

Why did we start GITMO, do you honestly think that all these terror cells have come about because of GITMO....you have a LOT of reading to do....and maybe even brush up on your history....

Old 01-20-2015, 06:21 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why did we start GITMO, do you honestly think that all these terror cells have come about because of GITMO....you have a LOT of reading to do....and maybe even brush up on your history....
We started GITMO because these terror "suspects" were far too dangerous to house in stateside prisons, that is laughable in itself but it did provide the opportunity to torture suspects in a remote island with little oversight, that's the American way.

GITMO most certainly impacts our standing as a democracy and it does help recruit future terrorists, maybe you should brush up on reality. Statements from various generals and leaders, what do they know.

Quote:

Thirteen years ago this month, I arrived in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as the
commander, Joint Task Force 160, charged with constructing and operating a
detention facility to hold Taliban and al Qaeda detainees. Today the detention
facility at Guantanamo is a blight on our history, and it should be closed.

I say this as one who helped to create it. I am not alone in my
opinion. More than 50 retired generals and admirals have come forward saying
Guantanamo should be closed. Statesmen, top national security officials,
and public servants from across the political spectrum such as Henry Kissinger,
Colin Powell, Hillary Clinton and Robert Gates, have said Guantanamo should be
closed. President George W. Bush wanted to close the facility, and on his
second day in office President Barack Obama signed an executive order committing
his administration to closing Guantanamo

Read more: Guantanamo Closing: I Helped Create Gitmo. Now I Want It Shut Down. - POLITICO Magazine

Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Steady progress being made on closing that blemish on America.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/us...=tw-share&_r=0
LOL... I hovered my cursor over the thread topic in the index to see your comment, followed by the link URL where it said NYTimes. I agreed.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:49 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Wonder if David Hicks will be compensated. Nearly 6 years of his life.

David Hicks terrorism charges: US admits he is innocent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies