Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 07:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Since the world is changing and those changes don't favor white supremacy anymore, the inner skinhead is coming out of a lot of people. But no, race relations in the US isn't really on my mind. Honestly I can care less about improving relations with these white supremacist that love to use words like, "hood rat", "thug", "unqualified" etc. in place of their favorite word that isn't socially acceptable anymore in most circles...

Since when did hood rat or thug become racist terms? I reference white folks that act like gangbangers the same way. Or anyone for that manner who acts like a gangbanger or criminal! Don't want to be called that, then don't act like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I have no idea. But white flight is as American as apple pie.
That's so 20th Century: Now it's many of the Blacks where are doing the "white flight" thing when the Hispanics start moving in even tho some of those Latinos ARE "white".

Old 01-07-2015, 07:35 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That's so 20th Century: Now it's many of the Blacks where are doing the "white flight" thing when the Hispanics start moving in even tho some of those Latinos ARE "white".
White flight is rampant in the 21st century as well.

Read through the location sections.

"I would like to move to a Christian community where people are the same as me."

LOL!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just reading between the lines here for a minute. You know what a lot of this sounds like to me?

Black (Hurt and angry): You don't like us!

White(Trying to reassure): That's not true. There are some of you who are lawless or messy and that we don't like.

Black: No! We know all of you don't like any of us. It's because of the color of our skin.

White: Please believe us when we say it isn't your skin color. There are White people who are lawless and messy we don't care for either. And there are a few outright racists but most of us don't care for them either.

Black: No! You still like them better because they are White. We can tell.

White: Really, we don't think about you that much one way or the other.

Black: See? You don't like us.

Many times in my discussions about race with black people over the years, no matter how much I try to indicate willingness to be honest and friendly and show good will I've felt double-binded. It's as though no matter how honestly I answer from my perspective I'm told I don't really know. It often feels like something is wanted from me but I don't know what it is or how to make it happen. It all feels like a huge gap of yearning and misunderstanding filled up with outrage to cover up hurt.

I wonder if black people who always feel discriminated against ever think about how sad some of us feel about this. It's like that friend who is forever nagging you to provide some kind of reassurance that you just can't give because the emptiness isn't yours to fill.

Ain't it the truth!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Do you really care about race relations in the US?
No. I don't. I am color blind.

I call things as I see it and I don't care what they look like.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No. I don't. I am color blind.

I call things as I see it and I don't care what they look like.
Colorblindness (in your context) is a form of racism.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I assume many/most of us have friends/coworkers/acquaintances who are black/white (the opposite of whatever you are). I'm also going to guess that many of us here feel (you may or may not) that race relations have taken a backward step in the last few years.

Have your feelings on the macro state of race relations in the US impacted your more personal dealings with people of another race?

Do you care?

On the micro level, mine have not, but on the macro level, I've definitely become more cynical and negative towards hood rats, protesters and race baiters.

If a tree falls in the forest and you are not there….does it make any sound? The thing is this. Most of us cannot see the forest for the trees directly in front of us, so we do not know all the sounds that the forest is making. However, the media is our window to the forest. The media provides us the view and sounds of other parts of the forest. Thus, are perceptions our macro perceptions of the forest are programmed by the media and thus if the media trend is to show trees falling then our perception is that the forest is declining. If they show us pictures of growth we will believe that the forest is healthy and strong.

As an example, let’s take the life of an individual named Al Sharpton. This individual exist 24/7 365 days a year. The only way that the general public knows what this individual is doing is when the media focuses attention on a day or moment in his life. In fairness, the media has probably exposed the public to, at most, 1% of the activities of this person, yet, the general public, based upon that 1% will say “All he does is……yadda yadda yadda”. Well…..no……it’s more correct to say “All that the media shows the public is Al doing…..yadda yadda yadda”.

In light of that, if the media just shows us incidents of racial disharmony, does that mean that racial disharmony is increasing? Stories trend in the media. Once an incident happens and it generates lots of viewers or readers, the media will then look for other such incidents to report in order to get the same viewer and profit bump, when at other times they would have just ignored the other story. Hence, the media keeps certain issues alive and trending to profit from it. The public then gets the impression that the problem is out of control. An example of that is the constant update on the number of people shot in a Chicago weekend. I mean, Chicago is not anywhere near to being the murder capital of America, in regards to the murder rate, but again it’s a popular story line because Chicago is the home of the President of the United States.

In conclusion, I do not know that race relations are declining in America the last few years. I certainly would not depend on what is in the media to draw a macro conclusion. I do not think that is “smart”. Unless some polling or studies are done to measure people sentiments in regards to race…..all we can do, if we are smart enough not to be influenced by the media, is PROJECT. In other words, if you are a person who thinks race relations are getting worse, its likely because your view of one or more different races is getting worse and to comfort and prevent moral injury.....you project that everybody is doing it.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
The only race I care about is my own race. Since every other race is only doing what is beneficial for their race(s), I feel if I can I will do what I can to help my race.

Black pride
Brown pride
Native pride
Asian pride

All okay. So I feel it's only right I have white pride.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I assume many/most of us have friends/coworkers/acquaintances who are black/white (the opposite of whatever you are). I'm also going to guess that many of us here feel (you may or may not) that race relations have taken a backward step in the last few years.

Have your feelings on the macro state of race relations in the US impacted your more personal dealings with people of another race?

Do you care?

On the micro level, mine have not, but on the macro level, I've definitely become more cynical and negative towards hood rats, protesters and race baiters.
i dont base my opinions about people, either at the micro or macro level, on race. in fact while i know about the stereotypes, i ignore them. i take people on an individual basis.

as for the rest, haters are going to hate, baiters are going to bait, and protesters are going to protest no matter what i think. my opinion is that most of them are very stupid, but there is little i can do about them.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
In general race relations have continued to improve. Like most big social issues things go in fits and stars but on whole we are making progress.

On the personal level I'd say things are about the same for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies