Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well certainly you can look at where most Whites choose to live. That fact this country is still so racially segregated when it comes to where people choose to live shows that we don't live in some racial harmony. It's easy to say you don't mind black people when you don't have to live anywhere near them.

Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxCKH7f_ywU

By nature humans tend to want to be around others who share similar values. That isn't racist, that is reality. At any rate, the way I see it, I don't want to live in a crime infested s*** hole like the inner city! That has nothing to do with the skin color of the people, it has to do with not wanting to deal with the riff raff! I wouldn't live in a meth infested trailer park either. Should white folks be forced to live in high crime areas just to "prove" that they're not racist? Listen, I've dealt with and have worked with many black folks from not so great parts of town, and many of them are great people. Many of them choose to move out to "white suburbia" to get away from the riff raff as well. Can you blame them for wanting to provide their families with more safety and to get away from crime ridden areas? I sure as hell can't.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Not really. Black people didn't always have a seven times higher violent crime rate than other races. Black people didn't always have a 70% illegitimate birth rate. Black people didn't always have an unemployment rate triple that of other races. Black people didn't always vote in a monolithic voting bloc rather than thinking as individuals.

Black people, as an overall community, absolutely have changed. Soon after Civil Rights the liberals swooped in with their appeals to victimhood and promises of government handouts and destroyed the black family and work ethic.
That's certainly true and a lot issues in the Black community today come from that.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
By nature humans tend to want to be around others who share similar values. That isn't racist, that is reality. At any rate, the way I see it, I don't want to live in a crime infested s*** hole like the inner city! That has nothing to do with the skin color of the people, it has to do with not wanting to deal with the riff raff! I wouldn't live in a meth infested trailer park either. Should white folks be forced to live in high crime areas just to "prove" that they're not racist? Listen, I've dealt with and have worked with many black folks from not so great parts of town, and many of them are great people. Many of them choose to move out to "white suburbia" to get away from the riff raff as well. Can you blame them for wanting to provide their families with more safety and to get away from crime ridden areas? I sure as hell can't.
Yet when middle class Blacks move into a these White neighborhoods, Whites start to leave. It's been proven time and time again that most Whites don't want to live among a large amount of minorities regardless of income(especially Blacks).

Old 01-06-2015, 10:25 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
There are no "race relations."

White people never liked black people. Now most white people can look past that. The few racists still exist as the vocal minority.

Black people are the same they have always been.

I'm going to have to agree with Ayaan Hirsi Ali when she says basically everyone is racist.

Of course, there is already plenty of evidence that shows strong racial biases.

Baby Racists: At Our Sweetest Age, We're Capable of Nasty Impulses

The new threat: 'Racism without racists' - CNN.com

Racist Babies? Nine-Month-Olds Show Bias When Looking At Faces, Study Shows

And it really isn't that we are merely racist. We are also ethnocentric. Some of us even praise that ethnocentrism even when it masquerades as something more noble, such as nationalism.

Racism is caused by a natural human tendency to identify with a particular group, and tending to exclude people of other groups. Or especially to distrust people of other groups.

As for your remark that black people are the same as they have always been. That is simply false, and there is no evidence whatsoever to support such a statement. None, zero, zilch, nada.

Regardless, in my view, racial or gender or ethnic or cultural biases are not only normal, but actually I find them to be a good thing. It means you are human and sane. People who claim to not see differences between people, to me have some form of mental illness.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-06-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Yet when middle class Blacks move into a these White neighborhoods, Whites start to leave. It's been proven time and time again that most Whites don't want to live among a large amount of minorities regardless of income(especially Blacks).

I have black folks in my neighborhood. None of the white folks are leaving en-masse. Our town where I live which is still semi-rural has a sizeable black population, and yet no white folks are leaving en-masse. In fact, the town continues to grow. Our black neighbors across the way have numerous gatherings and BBQs over the summer, and nobody freaks out, nor are the cops rolling through the neighborhood either due to an increased presence of black people. The way I see it, I don't care where you come from, or what color you are, be nice, be neighborly, and don't trash the neighborhood, and you will be received kindly. On a side note, perhaps the white dude in the unit across the street from me cooking meth should have lived by that rule, and maybe things would have worked out better for him. He caused more fits among the neighbors than any black person in our neighborhood ever did.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Well certainly you can look at where most Whites choose to live. That fact this country is still so racially segregated when it comes to where people choose to live shows that we don't live in some racial harmony. It's easy to say you don't mind black people when you don't have to live anywhere near them.

Most Segregated Cities In America - Business Insider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxCKH7f_ywU
LMAO, blacks do not want to live around other blacks and you expect whites to want to live around them? I have lived in the same neighborhood as blacks/Hispanic and you can have it. I moved to the country and it is 98.5 % white and is 100 times better. Sorry that is just the truth.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I have black folks in my neighborhood. None of the white folks are leaving en-masse. Our town where I live which is still semi-rural has a sizeable black population, and yet no white folks are leaving en-masse. In fact, the town continues to grow. Our black neighbors across the way have numerous gatherings and BBQs over the summer, and nobody freaks out, nor are the cops rolling through the neighborhood either due to an increased presence of black people. The way I see it, I don't care where you come from, or what color you are, be nice, be neighborly, and don't trash the neighborhood, and you will be received kindly. On a side note, perhaps the white dude in the unit across the street from me cooking meth should have lived by that rule, and maybe things would have worked out better for him. He caused more fits among the neighbors than any black person in our neighborhood ever did.
Your example are not the norm. I didn't say all White people do it but most do if given the opportunity. Go to any typical White majority suburb and see what happens when a large number Blacks start moving in. Whites will start leaving and before you know it most of them have left the community. The whole " Blacks moving in, there goes the neighborhood" type of syndrome is alive and well.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-06-2015 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Your example are not the norm. I didn't say all White people do it but most do if given the opportunity. Go to any typical White majority suburb and see what happens when a large number Blacks start are moving in. Whites will start leaving and before you know it most of them have left the community. The whole " Blacks moving in, there goes the neighborhood" type of syndrome is alive and well.
I agree. It's like this in older rust belt cities. But if you go to a new suburb in the sun belt, the New South, out West, you will find that any Black family that can move to one of these suburbs will be quite welcome. It's not an issue of their color but how they maintain themselves and property. Anyone with the means, regardless of the color, to move in to a McMansion neighborhood will do fine. Everyone is from some where else anyway, so the old Northern attitude "this is a ______ neighborhood so get out" doesn't exist.

Housing is often emotional. Show me an older suburb with large numbers of Blacks and I will show you a neighborhood of run down property, Section 8 respect for property, garish paint colors if painted at all, junk in yards, land scaping gone to hell, two toned shutters, etc etc etc. It's a stereotype, I know but as I said housing is emotional, and this is what people are running from. They worry about their lifetime investment, not the fact they are living next to a Black family.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,179 times
At one time I was quite concerned about racial equality and justice. My whole family was involved in promoting change for the better. Now, I'm completely fed up with people that won't take responsibility for their own actions and outcomes and insist on permanent victimhood status, with people that demand special treatment because of stuff that happened over 100 years ago, with people that think working hard and obeying the rules is a fools game. I'm also fed up with minorities that don't act that way but refuse to condemn those who do. I don't give a hoot about race relations now and have nothing but disdain for these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies