Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 08:03 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

The police officer that killed the 12 year old kid had been previously deemed unsuitable to be a police officer but was hired by the Cleveland Police force anyway. He was obviously not fit for police duty. The complaint is far bigger than that though. As I've noted many times, we should be questioning the training we are giving the police and 911. Why wasn't the important information that the gun was likely fake relayed to the officers?

Video: Boy with air gun was shot 2 seconds after Cleveland police arrived - CNN.com

Well it seems the Cleveland Police force is incapable of learning from their past mistakes. They had planned on hiring another officer that had been terminated for excessive force.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Mayor Frank Jackson will not swear-in a former East Cleveland police officer who lost his job for using excessive force.

The city is scheduled to swear in dozens of new officers at 1 p.m. today at City Hall.

The recruit in question is Brandon Smith, who in 2012 was a rookie on East Cleveland's police force when he riddled a car with bullets during a traffic stop. Smith and his partner said the woman behind the wheel tried to hit them with her car.

No one was injured, but East Cleveland officials deemed the use of force excessive.

"The situation warranted termination," East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton said Monday.

Mayor Frank Jackson will not swear-in former East Cleveland cop who lost job for excessive force | cleveland.com

Old 01-06-2015, 01:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
That is crazy. To me, I am happy that they actually ARE learning from their mistakes while they are under intense media scrutiny since they didn't hire the officer in question in this article.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That is crazy. To me, I am happy that they actually ARE learning from their mistakes while they are under intense media scrutiny since they didn't hire the officer in question in this article.
They did. The mayor wouldn't swear him in......yet. He is still collecting a pay check from the Cleveland Police dept.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:22 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
There is no incentive for the Cleveland PD to learn from its mistakes as there is no penalty to be exacted upon it when one is made. This rule of course applies to most all government agencies, bureaus, depts., etc.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is no incentive for the Cleveland PD to learn from its mistakes as there is no penalty to be exacted upon it when one is made. This rule of course applies to most all government agencies, bureaus, depts., etc.
This is true, until cops personal assets are subject to judgements they will never learn.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 PM

191 posts, read 275,853 times
Agree 100%. I grew up in the Cleveland area in the 60's/early 70's and the CPD were widely respected for their training and professionalism. Crime in those days was also much worse by virtually every measure... yet today we seem to see case after nauseating case of CPD ineptitude and (appearances and allegations of) corruption and brutality.

We're actually considering relocating to NE OH after a 40+ year sojourn around the US (and world actually)... but now I'm having second doubts. Cleveland's plenty dangerous without the police inciting even more (perhaps eventually devastating) violence. There seems to be a systematic lack of discipline, leadership, accountability and professionalism in the CPD today, and given the data and evidence, think its time to make heads roll and reform it before it kills any prospect of a Cleveland come back. Maybe we'll just relo to Pittsburgh (OMG!)!

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
Agree 100%. I grew up in the Cleveland area in the 60's/early 70's and the CPD were widely respected for their training and professionalism. Crime in those days was also much worse by virtually every measure... yet today we seem to see case after nauseating case of CPD ineptitude and (appearances and allegations of) corruption and brutality.

We're actually considering relocating to NE OH after a 40+ year sojourn around the US (and world actually)... but now I'm having second doubts. Cleveland's plenty dangerous without the police inciting even more (perhaps eventually devastating) violence. There seems to be a systematic lack of discipline, leadership, accountability and professionalism in the CPD today, and given the data and evidence, think its time to make heads roll and reform it before it kills any prospect of a Cleveland come back. Maybe we'll just relo to Pittsburgh (OMG!)!
Cleveland is a nicer place than in the 70's IMO as long as you stay away from law enforcement and don't have any school aged children.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Cleveland is a nicer place than in the 70's IMO as long as you stay away from law enforcement and don't have any school aged children.

True. And no way in hell I'd send my kid to Cleveland City Schools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies