Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

In 2012, 18% of Engineering degrees went to women, 12% went to Asians, 9% went to Hispanics and 4% went to Blacks and 66% went to Whites.

ENGINEERING BY THE NUMBERS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I disagree. IT is the perfect place for tech startups especially if you are a minority.
The local/state/fed governments prioritize minority owned business for IT contracts.

There's a reason that I'm listed first in an LLC that 4 of us formed and it's not because I'm the most skilled. It's because I'm a woman and the other 3 are men.
I was not disagreeing with you but I think you misread my quoted post.

There are almost NO start up tech companies that are black owned. It is also a fact. This particular group of people need to get more involved in their own communities and create their own tech start-ups that focuses on their local demographics and culture. In other words, stop knocking on Silicon Valley’s door. They do not need Silicon Valley in order to be successful elsewhere.

That is my point.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I was not disagreeing with you but I think you misread my quoted post.

There are almost NO start up tech companies that are black owned. It is also a fact.
How do you know that ? Only the government requires that info if you are submitting a bid and checking off that you are a minority owned business.

With only 4% of Blacks earning a BS degree in Engineering you're definitely going to be hard pressed to find some.
Hispanics are forging ahead with 9% which is a steady increase over the years.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:35 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
How many of them applied for those jobs or showed any interest?
Probably a similar amount that usually show any interest in becoming cops, which is why there are so many white cops. But don't forget, it is estimated 1 in 3 black men are either in jail, or have a criminal record, so they won't be eligible either.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How do you know that ? Only the government requires that info if you are submitting a bid and checking off that you are a minority owned business.
STARTUP CULTURE'S LACK OF DIVERSITY STIFLES INNOVATION

Startup Culture's Lack Of Diversity Stifles Innovation | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

I don't have a dog in that fight. I am not an engineer, and never will be. I am a business owner and a freelance artist. I have trust fund to rely on and I am not complaining in any way.

Just reporting to folks what I have read, and heard. There is hidden bias against black people in tech field. There is hidden bias against combat veterans in workforce. I have no solutions, but facts and facts.

I am not trying to argue with you.

Someone (a black start up tech owner once said)"

The bias in Silicon Valley is about creating great companies, solving big problems, making a lot of money, and impacting the world"

"It's clear that there is always a bias," Watson tells Business Insider. "And it’s annoying and it’s frustrating, but you can get around that. There’s also an argument that because there’s a bias, in a weird way, the bias can also lead to some opportunities."

i just hope qualified black engineers get equal chance to get hired, no more no less.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Startup Culture's Lack Of Diversity Stifles Innovation | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

I don't have a dog in that fight. I am not an engineer, and never will be. I am a business owner and a freelance artist. I have trust fund to rely on and I am not complaining in any way.

Just reporting to folks what I have read, and heard. There is hidden bias against black people in tech field. There is hidden bias against combat veterans in combat field. I have no solutions, but facts and facts.

Your article is about funding tech startups.

The thing with tech though is that you do not need a lot of money and can get in with NO funding.

Mobile apps can be written by individuals. Heck, I've written 2 for iPhones without any legal or startup money. It's a start though for those looking to get into the field. Apple handles all of the business side of it and I get my cut.

I'm in a minority owned startup and we never sought any outside startup money.
Very little is needed in the area of tech and that's a big plus to folks wanting to get into the industry.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 AM

137 posts, read 144,350 times
As someone who made his living in a tech start-up, with most of my friends in the field, here is my honest take...

You can throw low/average IQ people into high-level government institutions and they will hurt the institution, but you can hide it.

You can throw low/average IQ people into law school/med school with mediocre grades, and the professors will make sure they pass.

But tech, particularly innovative tech start-ups, along with the market to some degree, is an even playing field. You either get it or you don't, you either have innovative ideas or you don't.

You can't hide and go along for the ride.

Thus, the "problem" of Silicon Valley being mostly white.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:51 AM

137 posts, read 144,350 times
Quote:

Just reporting to folks what I have read, and heard. There is hidden bias against black people in tech field. There is hidden bias against combat veterans in workforce. I have no solutions, but facts and facts.

Someone (a black start up tech owner once said)"

The bias in Silicon Valley is about creating great companies, solving big problems, making a lot of money, and impacting the world"

"It's clear that there is always a bias," Watson tells Business Insider. "And it’s annoying and it’s frustrating, but you can get around that. There’s also an argument that because there’s a bias, in a weird way, the bias can also lead to some opportunities."

i just hope qualified black engineers get equal chance to get hired, no more no less.
They get preferential treatment on a scale that makes affirmative action in academia seem like peanuts. Every owners of a small tech firm I know- and I know a lot, run one myself- gets in a bidding war when a talented black person comes along. They want to put their face "by accident" on every PR photo every media outlet takes of their company.

The ugly truth is, talented black engineers are unicorns.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM

True diversity to me is recruiting people have various knowledge. I am an artist, the most talented artists I've known have not received any formal training. I've received eight years of training from well known art institute, but I can never be as good as them. Those are true talents to me.

There are elite computer science departments that graduate larger numbers of African-American and Hispanic students, but they are not the ones where leading companies recruit employees. Stanford, UC-Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA and MIT are among the most popular for recruiting by tech companies, according to research by Wired magazine.

That is the major disconnect.

My ex got hired because he graduated from Cornell, the other one got hired because he graduated from MIT, none of them had computer science as a major in college, But they are hard working, self taught, talented engineers.

If you go to the same prestigious universities every single time and every single year to recruit people ... then you are going to get the same people over and over again.

The premise that if you want diversity, you have to sacrifice quality, is false.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
True diversity to me is recruiting people have various knowledge. I am an artist, the most talented artists I've known have not received any formal training. I've received eight years of training from well known art institute, but I can never be as good as them. Those are true talents to me.

There are elite computer science departments that graduate larger numbers of African-American and Hispanic students, but they are not the ones where leading companies recruit employees. Stanford, UC-Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA and MIT are among the most popular for recruiting by tech companies, according to research by Wired magazine.

That is the major disconnect.

My ex got hired because he graduated from Cornell, the other one got hired because he graduated from MIT, none of them had computer science as a major in college, But they are hard working, self taught, talented engineers.

If you go to the same prestigious universities every single time and every single year to recruit people ... then you are going to get the same people over and over again.

The premise that if you want diversity, you have to sacrifice quality, is false.
4% Blacks and 9% Hispanics are not large numbers.

And the tech companies recruit from all over the US.
I went to Florida Atlantic University..MS, HP, Compaq, IBM, Motorola all flew in to recruit.

I've done recruitment at UT in Austin for my company and all the big players had a presence there as well.

The qualified candidates just aren't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies