Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:24 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Education starts in the home. If you neglect your child's education, you neglect the child. Fixing the source means fixing the culture of the homes in which these kids live.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
I think some of you need to calm down. A few more Blacks in a sea of employees that are 99% non-Black isn't going to hurt the non-Black employee workforce at those companies. What I find a little odd is that people don't have a problem with other groups having representation and foreigners making up their representation at these companies but when it comes to improving Black employment, people want to upset and angry. It's been proven on many occasions that Blacks face disadvantages when trying to apply for employment.

Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Black unemployment rate twice that of whites

Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
We should hire people because he/she is qualified to do the job well and correctly. We should not be hiring someone simply because that person may be a woman, a black person, a ******, a trannie, a Muslim, a bull dyke, or someone suffering from a mental retardation. Of course, if among the following people are qualified to do the job, then hire them, but don't hire in the name of "diversity". It's stupid.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:58 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think some of you need to calm down. A few more Blacks in a sea of employees that are 99% non-Black isn't going to hurt the non-Black employee workforce at those companies.
Who said it would hurt them?

The people arguing against FORCING COMPANIES to hire more black people are arguing the forced versus voluntary hiring policy. Everyone is in agreement that the problem isn't that qualified black applicants are being turned away from STEM jobs in SV based on racism, but rather that there simply are not that many qualified black people applying for those jobs, and that is not the fault of the SV companies who are all just trying to make a buck.

If Google posts an ad for 10 new intern spots, and they get 10,000 Asian, 5,000 white and 0 black applicants...it's not exactly their fault they didn't hire a qualified black person. You cannot hire people who do not apply.

In 16 years of IT work, in 3 different markets and 5 different industries...I've worked with three total black people. I've never interviewed a black person for an IT position, and I don't recall attending even one of my CS classes in undergrad with one black classmate. In high school, where anyone could take anything for free if they met the prereqs...I had not one black person in my AP Calc, Chem or Physics classes, we had no black people in the Chess, Physics or Math clubs, no black people on our debate team, etc. In all my college math courses, I remember seeing one black person in my Calc I class, and that was it....and I have an undergrad and two masters degrees, so it isn't like I didn't take my share of these classes. My classmates were the occasional white guy/girl, and a lot of Asians. My university did not care who took math and science courses, just that they met the prereqs. Ask anyone with a STEM degree their experience, and the story is very similar. Ask any dork like me who was in the Math and Physics clubs...and their story will be like mine. Not saying black people are not capable of being geeks, just saying I have encountered very few in my almost 50 years of living.

It is not Google, IBM nor Intel's fault that they do not have more black employees. YOU CANNOT HIRE PEOPLE WHO DO NOT APPLY.

That's what people are arguing. Black lawmakers want these companies to not just hire black people, they want them to invent the actual applicants too.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Young women also know that the STEM professions are very, very sexist. My wife is an engineer and one of an infinitesimal number of minority women in IT, and she has almost 30 years of horrific experiences to relate, beginning in college and continuing through the present day. She says there would be more women in these fields, but most quit in disgust early on.
Back when........reminds me of a long , long row of cubicles occupied by men. We referred to it as gas alley.
Eventually hired a qualified woman. She fit in well and could out toot the best of them. They adored her.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

The people arguing against FORCING COMPANIES to hire more black people are arguing the forced versus voluntary hiring policy. Everyone is in agreement that the problem isn't that qualified black applicants are being turned away from STEM jobs in SV based on racism, but rather that there simply are not that many qualified black people applying for those jobs, and that is not the fault of the SV companies who are all just trying to make a buck.

If Google posts an ad for 10 new intern spots, and they get 10,000 Asian, 5,000 white and 0 black applicants...it's not exactly their fault they didn't hire a qualified black person. You cannot hire people who do not apply.

In 16 years of IT work, in 3 different markets and 5 different industries...I've worked with three total black people. I've never interviewed a black person for an IT position, and I don't recall attending even one of my CS classes in undergrad with one black classmate. In high school, where anyone could take anything for free if they met the prereqs...I had not one black person in my AP Calc, Chem or Physics classes, we had no black people in the Chess, Physics or Math clubs, no black people on our debate team, etc. In all my college math courses, I remember seeing one black person in my Calc I class, and that was it....and I have an undergrad and two masters degrees, so it isn't like I didn't take my share of these classes. My classmates were the occasional white guy/girl, and a lot of Asians. My university did not care who took math and science courses, just that they met the prereqs. Ask anyone with a STEM degree their experience, and the story is very similar. Ask any dork like me who was in the Math and Physics clubs...and their story will be like mine. Not saying black people are not capable of being geeks, just saying I have encountered very few in my almost 50 years of living.

It is not Google, IBM nor Intel's fault that they do not have more black employees. YOU CANNOT HIRE PEOPLE WHO DO NOT APPLY.

That's what people are arguing. Black lawmakers want these companies to not just hire black people, they want them to invent the actual applicants too.
You're taking this way out of proportion. I'm speaking to a more bigger problem that goes beyond just the stem jobs but I will say that regardless if there is a large number of Black applicants or not, they still face discrimination in the hiring process. It's doesn't matter what type of industry it is or the number of Black applicants. You can't just focus on a small part without looking at the larger issue.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
We should hire people because he/she is qualified to do the job well and correctly. We should not be hiring someone simply because that person may be a woman, a black person, a ******, a trannie, a Muslim, a bull dyke, or someone suffering from a mental retardation. Of course, if among the following people are qualified to do the job, then hire them, but don't hire in the name of "diversity". It's stupid.
People usually just associate affirmative action with Blacks but in reality Women, homosexuals, etc have benefited greatly from affirmative action while it hasn't done much to improve Black employment as they are less likely to get hired for a job. When you really think about it, the only area in American society were Blacks tend to get a fair opportunity is the entertainment industry. Usually it's sports as you are largely judge by how talented you are as an athlete.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:45 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
Blacks have always lagged behind in Science and Math. I guess the obvious solution to that problem is to hand them jobs they're not qualified for...

Old 01-07-2015, 03:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

In 23 years I've worked with a total of 2 Black people. One was a manager (female) and other other a peer software engineer (male).

Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
What's next? Should the Miss America pageant be required to hold open X number of spots for males just to make everything equal?

The private sector is competitive, we're not talking about mail-it-in government jobs where you can be an incompetent moron and not get fired. Diversity for the sake of diversity is pure idiocy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies