Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you a Liberal?
Yes, I'm a Liberal 76 53.52%
No, I'm not a Liberal 66 46.48%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,449,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The whole "liberal is a mental disorder" is dumb.

Why not make the case for why they are wrong (which is usually pretty easy to do), instead of using tired, meaningless phrases.
I think because liberalism goes beyond being wrong and into the realm of being truly irrational. When it comes to supply versus demand side economics, for example, you can make a case why liberal thinking is wrong. But when it comes to something like their continued insistence on addressing the wage gap between men and women when the very same BLS reports that show the gap also conclude that the gap is not due to gender, you can't reason with that. That's just flat out irrational. When they insist that the rise in crime and breakdown in family in the black community can be traced to racism when these problems only became societal issues *after* civil rights, that's just flat out irrational. When they insist that our reaction to firearm crimes should be have gun control laws when by definition criminals do not follow laws is just flat out irrational. You can't make a case for why something's wrong when it is at that fundamental of a level of reasoning. You can try to show someone they have an incorrect solution to a quadratic equation, but when someone insists that 2+2 equals 5, you simply have no alternative to concluding that they are incapable of rational thought. Thus, mental disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:45 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,646,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Not really, though I do tend to consider it to be the political party I would most identify with should I choose to consider myself a part of the party.

Libertarians can be pretty diverse though, at least from the one's I've encountered. Some are much more against any form of government spending, while others are a bit more lenient. I'm more lenient. That's to say, I'm not 100% against welfare, but I do think it's generally better if we spend less on it. Because ideally, no one should even need it.

Public spending for me means that it will be more than worth the cost. I don't necessarily have a problem with government being in the philanthropy business, so long as whatever they accomplish has lasting power and will be more cost effective in the long run. If the long term expenses end up being more or the same as what they were before, then it's a huge waste of tax payer funding.

And this is why I don't identify as libertarian. As I said, I don't much care for the party mentality. I think being able to look at everything from numerous stand points is important in making a decision.
I see. I have similar views as yours and I mostly identify with the libertarian party compared to republicans or Democrats.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:42 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,543,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
With poll numbers like these, it's imperative society tosses aside the political correctness and finally comes to terms that Liberalism is not just a personal view of the world but a true mental disorder, that causes total detachment from reality among many other symptoms. This disorder needs to be recognized with an official name and a foundation created to search for treatments and a cure. Nancy Pelosi would be a perfect candidate as a poster child for the research foundation, as she apparently suffers from one of the most severe forms of this horrible disorder. Affected individuals can easily be determined by just a brief conversation. A word of warning, These individuals can turn very rude and hostile if confronted with truth, logic or anything contrary to their views, if this occurs, just smile and walk away knowing in your heart you have just met a poor soul who suffers from this very common disability and find comfort in the fact you can't debate a fool...
You understand that there is no such a thing as a liberal American politician. An American "Liberal" is more a fascist than anything resembling a "True liberal"

Canada is full of true liberals and in fact even our conservative federal government is quite liberal. You mistake American politics in general which truly are a type of mental illness to a movement that at it's core only desires greater freedom and justice for the people. The liberal basis of my country is preserving my freedom from tyranny while in the USA the lack of such is quickly turning your country into a police state!!!!~

Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,067,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I would love to engage in intelligent discussions on here without resorting to name calling. Is this even possible in this political climate?
Not on the days the storm front is blowing through. The barometer plunges to basement-level lows.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,223,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I think because liberalism goes beyond being wrong and into the realm of being truly irrational. When it comes to supply versus demand side economics, for example, you can make a case why liberal thinking is wrong. But when it comes to something like their continued insistence on addressing the wage gap between men and women when the very same BLS reports that show the gap also conclude that the gap is not due to gender, you can't reason with that. That's just flat out irrational. When they insist that the rise in crime and breakdown in family in the black community can be traced to racism when these problems only became societal issues *after* civil rights, that's just flat out irrational. When they insist that our reaction to firearm crimes should be have gun control laws when by definition criminals do not follow laws is just flat out irrational. You can't make a case for why something's wrong when it is at that fundamental of a level of reasoning. You can try to show someone they have an incorrect solution to a quadratic equation, but when someone insists that 2+2 equals 5, you simply have no alternative to concluding that they are incapable of rational thought. Thus, mental disorder.
Great post!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:15 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,622,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You understand that there is no such a thing as a liberal American politician. An American "Liberal" is more a fascist than anything resembling a "True liberal"

Canada is full of true liberals and in fact even our conservative federal government is quite liberal. You mistake American politics in general which truly are a type of mental illness to a movement that at it's core only desires greater freedom and justice for the people. The liberal basis of my country is preserving my freedom from tyranny while in the USA the lack of such is quickly turning your country into a police state!!!!~
Very true. Americans claim to support individual freedom, yet support invasive policies and organizations like Homeland Security and the NSA that are daily invading the privacy of individuals and eroding human rights! Not to mention the ascending police state, which again, most Americans don't seem to have a problem with.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 PM

31,927 posts, read 14,919,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
People have a right to believe what they want whether you agree or not. Just as you have a right to to believe what you want. You seem to throw the term "mental disorder" around lightly. You have no idea what this term really means and it's really sad.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,947,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The whole "liberal is a mental disorder" is dumb.

Why not make the case for why they are wrong (which is usually pretty easy to do), instead of using tired, meaningless phrases.
I'd love to. And, I'll demonstrate it is either a mental disorder, or those who are liberals are sociopaths.

Here is the definitive description of a modern liberal:

"Modern liberalism is act of commanding other people's behavior and fortunes for the purpose of claiming virtue for yourself."

Either people who do that have cognitive malfunction, or they are sociopaths. Not too much else can be said.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:50 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,947,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
Of course your definition of modern liberalism must be true because it is.... yours. Of course
No, it's true because it's true.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:03 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,543,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'd love to. And, I'll demonstrate it is either a mental disorder, or those who are liberals are sociopaths.

Here is the definitive description of a modern liberal:

"Modern liberalism is act of commanding other people's behavior and fortunes for the purpose of claiming virtue for yourself."

Either people who do that have cognitive malfunction, or they are sociopaths. Not too much else can be said.
Your definition of "A liberal" is so far off it's pathetic. The exact same thing could be said of the "Capitalist" although I would not be so ignorant to define "Capitalism" in such puerile terms.

Politically liberal - definition of Politically liberal by The Free Dictionary

Maybe you should do do some reading on politics and basic terms would not be so challenging to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies