Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Indeed. And religion, which is often a tool of guilt and control, is all too frequently the lit fuse that causes an already imbalanced person to go completely overboard, then justify it by saying "I did it because my god commands it!"

I really like this quote from Steven Weinberg:

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
Hopefully france will learn from this and take the burka ban one step further to the islam ban. 🇷🇺

Old 01-07-2015, 02:27 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
That's a load of crap. Western Civilization is made up of a multitude people following many and no religions . These terrorists have nothing whatsoever to do with any religion.
Questioning their radical islamic sincerity is a cover up, you are defending them.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Religion--any religion--can really incite certain people to heinous acts of cruelty and/or stupidity. I wish we could grow up and out of the need for imaginary gods finally.
Yes, cults and religion can incite people. The Obama cult comes to mind.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
How many journalists or other people had Phelps or his followers murdered, whether by shooting, beheading, or other means ?

You and other anti-Christian and anti-religion fanatics continue with these false, theoretical hocus-pocus excuses for Islamic terrorism in the year 2015.
Good try on your part to push emotional buttons so people stop THINKING.

The point being that deeply religious people may find justification for defending their faith, even violently defending their faith, regardless of what religion they may be.

The pollster's question was could violence against civilians be justified if it were in defense of Islam. And one of our posters says that Pew said that 13% answered "often, sometimes or rarely". My point was that that was a vast option. And that there are indeed Christian fundamentalists living in the United States who would answer affirmatively to "often, sometimes or rarely".

I'm not anti-Christian nor anti-religion. There was no hocus-pocus excuse for Islamic terrorism. Indeed, I've said several times on this thread that there is no excuse for terrorism, that terrorism is evil, that terrorism cannot be justified.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:33 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wait, how can this be. France has extremely strict gun laws.

Overview of gun laws by nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually according to your link, it's not that strict at all, only a little more than the US:
Quote:
In France, to buy a firearm, a hunting license or a shooting sport license is necessary. All semi-automatic rifles with a capacity greater than 3 rounds, all handguns and all rifles chambered in 'military' calibers, including bolt action, require permits. These are known as B1, B2 and B4 type permits. Firearms are divided into eight categories that determine the regulations that apply to their possession and use. France also sets limits on the number of cartridges that can be kept at home (1000 rounds per gun).
The total number of firearms owned by an individual is also subject to limits (not possible to have more than 12 authorizations/permits on B1, B2 and B4 type firearms).[27] As of September, 2013, France has a capacity limit of 20 rounds for handguns;[28] one needs a permit for category one[clarification needed] semi-automatics that have a capacity greater than 3 rounds. Fully automatic firearms are illegal for civilian ownership.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:34 PM

410 posts, read 398,395 times
Quote:
Indeed. And religion, which is often a tool of guilt and control, is all too frequently the lit fuse that causes an already imbalanced person to go completely overboard, then justify it by saying "I did it because my god commands it!"

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
Your suggestion, as much as we would like it to be true, ignores the reality on the ground as it exists today.
If all religions were equally vile then surely Christians, Buddhists and Hindus would be committing atrocities on the same scale as Islam.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:35 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:

If people weren't able to use religion as an excuse, do you think they wouldn't find another excuse?

How many millions were killed by the likes of Stalin and Pol Pot?

Eating cheesecake three times a day will make you fat, regardless of it's chocolate, turtle or strawberry.

People are cruel and murderous because they are people. Religion is one excuse that would simply be replaced by another if it weren't available.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:37 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes, cults and religion can incite people. The Obama cult comes to mind.
Right-wingers form a dangerous cult themselves. How many of them right now have genocide against muslims dancing through their empty heads?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:44 PM

410 posts, read 398,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Right-wingers form a dangerous cult themselves. How many of them right now have genocide against muslims dancing through their empty heads?
In comparison with the Islamists who are committing genocide right now is Syria and Iraq?

Old 01-07-2015, 02:49 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Unlimited immigration with no way to tell who's the bad guy. Europe didn't learn from the US.
Apparently we never learned. We have welcomed in 10s of thousands of Somallians (Some who are back home fighting with Jihadist), along with other war torn Muslim countries, all with varying levels of PTSD that we welcomed to the US with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies