Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:33 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
The author of that article is obviously a liberal political hack, even though I never heard of him. The info he spews is not accurate. He says that only 13% get benefits on appeal. This is NOT Correct. 13% get approved on what's called reconsideration which is only the FIRST level of appeal, and the decision is made by the State DDS. The REAL appeal is the hearing in front of the ALJ - this is where you have an attorney on contingency. The TRUTH is that HALF of all appealed denials are APPROVED at the ALJ level, and MORE than half are approved if the claimant has a lawyer. So there you go, roughly 70% of the people that apply, and then appeal if denied, are ultimately awarded SSDI. The ONLY reason the % is below 50% is because of the fairly large number of applicants that never file an appeal of their decision.
Have you ever went through the process? I have with my wife. When you apply for SSDI you can not work at all. You can not draw unemployment insurance because that means you are actively seeking work. Those who are approved the first round are in very dire straights. Those who win on appeal have not worked in several years because they are very sick and are not employable, nobody wants them. Are there scammers, sure but not many who can gather doctors on their behalf over a long period of time, not work at all for a few years. I'm positive those scammers are few in number. Again I've been through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is a note there that it does not include children and widows.
That may fall under Social Security not SSDI if the recipient passes away? When a person who is on SSDI reaches retirement age their SSDI is changed to SS. Keep in mind it is insurance paid for by the worker and employer.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That may fall under Social Security not SSDI if the recipient passes away? When a person who is on SSDI reaches retirement age their SSDI is changed to SS. Keep in mind it is insurance paid for by the worker and employer.
No, it is SSDI and your chart only reflect worker numbers, not children and not widows.
SSDI does pay dependent and spouse benefits.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
No, it is SSDI and your chart only reflect worker numbers, not children and not widows.
SSDI does pay dependent and spouse benefits.
Really, why am I not receiving anything? And why would I receive any benefit from SSDI, unless my wife passed away?

Last edited by jmking; 01-09-2015 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Really, why am I not receiving anything? And why would I receive any benefit from SSDI, unless my wife passed away?
Children and surviving spouses.

Go read the .gov website.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Children and surviving spouses.

Go read the .gov website.
As I said, surviving spouses, that means someone died. I believe the surviving spouse receives $200.

Last edited by jmking; 01-09-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 11:51 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Yes.

SSI= SUPPLEMENTAL Security Income. You can still qualify even if you have never worked a day in your life.

SSDI= Social Security Disability Insurance. Every dollar we make (up to 75k i think) is taxed to be able to (theoretically) have this insurance if we ever need it.

Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The maximum amount one can get for SSI is $700 A MONTH only if there are no other assets or income (besides one car and a house.)

The maximum for SSDI is approximately $2,500 a month (average is $1,000 a month) even if you were making $10,000 a month for the last 20 years.

These programs aint making anyone rich folks! Most would rather have a job paying 25k to 80k a year rather than ending up on SSDI disability with an average of 12k per year!
Here we go again.

I asked how is Social Security welfare (as you claimed) and you come back with the SAME junk.

You go into great lengths to describe SSI and SSDI.Great job but, where is SS?

You DO understand they they are 3 SEPARATE programs, administered by the Social Security Administration. don't you?

Old 01-09-2015, 07:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Republicans have been trying to bring down Social Security for decades.

Big business hates Social Security. The elderly aren't cheap labor and take up tax money. Big business wants the elderly to hurry up and die.

Big Business = Republican Party.

The convergence of money and politics.

And everything else you wrote is also correct.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Big Business = Republican Party.

The convergence of money and politics.

And everything else you wrote is also correct.
It is laughable you think republicans are the party of big business.

All the biggest business political donors give to democrats
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php

Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Have you ever went through the process? I have with my wife. When you apply for SSDI you can not work at all. You can not draw unemployment insurance because that means you are actively seeking work. Those who are approved the first round are in very dire straights. Those who win on appeal have not worked in several years because they are very sick and are not employable, nobody wants them. Are there scammers, sure but not many who can gather doctors on their behalf over a long period of time, not work at all for a few years. I'm positive those scammers are few in number. Again I've been through it.
Yes, I have been through it, furthermore I worked for DDS for six years, and my daughter has worked for DDS for the past 6 years, plus my wife is on SSDI and we went through the appeal process - with an attorney. So yes, I know much more than you about how it works. Are there legitimately disabled people whose claims are denied? yes indeed. Are there scammers out there? Absolutely, and many, many of them, and yes, their docs will support them - why not? it's $$. My point, however, was that this hack blogger is throwing out BS statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies