Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Generation Do You Think Had the Least Racism?
Generation born 1925-42 0 0%
Baby Boomers (born 1943-60) 2 4.35%
Generation X (born early 60's to early 80's) 9 19.57%
Millenial Generation (Generation Y) (born mid 80's to 2000) 10 21.74%
Generation Z (born late 1990 to today) 10 21.74%
Stayed the Same During the Last 100 years 1 2.17%
Never Thought About It 3 6.52%
I Dont Really Care 11 23.91%
I Don't Think this Country is Racist 6 13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:30 AM

214 posts, read 281,538 times

Advertisements

Socially when it comes to racism? It seems like generation X didn't have as many problems with racism like all the other generations had or have now, even the millenial generation. This was the generation where the first black presdient was elected. I dont know... maybe it was the influence of the music during that generation that brought a lot of people, white, black, hispanic and asian together. Black people started hip hop and all races loved it, joined in and copied. I think it also might have been the one time where interracial couples first started being accepted more. It just seems like you're starting to hear more problems with racism all of a sudden again, in the media, with the millenial generation being in the spotlight now. And the millenial generation is known for being anti-social (with other personal problems like depression and growing up being medicated). The only other generation I can think of, shown in history, with races intermingling with little to no problems, are those who were in their 20-30's back in the 70's. The hippes right after the civil rights movement. I could be wrong since I wasn't around back then. Just going by events that I've seen. Watching events from the Baby Boomers and Generation X it looks like those generations had the most fun socially and sexually when it comes to groups of friendships and relationships. It seems like we're relapsing and turning back to primitive instead of continuing to progress.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:32 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
why past tense? are they all gone now?

Old 01-07-2015, 10:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Nope. Gen Xer here. I loved the 80s as to me it was a simpler time. But then again I'm 41 so I suppose that I'm looking at it through kid's eyes, because I was a kid back then. It does seem like my parents were better off than many in my generation are now. At any rate I am a mix of old school values and some modern. Especially when it comes to music. I love a lot of the stuff my parents listened to, as well as the stuff I grew up listening to, and to a degree but not as much anymore some modern music. I embrace technology, such as the internet, and the fact that I can stream videos on my video game system, whereas growing up we had Atari. What I do hate about technology is the fact that it seems that social skills have suffered. While I do text here and there, I'd much rather hear a voice, and have a REAL conversation be it over the phone or in person. Today too many people bury their faces in their I-phones and act annoyed if you try to interact with them. I never was the type to judge an individual regarding the skin color, or gender, and rather always lived by "treat others how you want to be treated."

Just a few things.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 AM

214 posts, read 281,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Generation X is not in the spotlight as much anymore no. The next generation "takes over" and the media concentrates on the generation who will be in charge in the future. Usually in the present those who are in their 20s - mid 30's .

Old 01-07-2015, 11:31 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
I voted millennial, but I may be biased. I think it depends how you look at it though. I personally think that exaggeration of racial issues is it's own form of racism. There are people in my generation who genuinely believe that white people are inherently racist; most of those people are white. I find the notion of white guilt to be rather pointless. I also find people who makes excuses for historical crimes to be equally pointless. So saying something like 'white people unjustly killed the native Americans' is a fact no matter how you look at it. But most white people alive today had nothing to do with it, so there's no one to punish.

The issue with something like Ferguson is that people in my generation are focusing only on the race aspect, when there's so much more to it. My biggest concern is why a police force has military grade weapons, but everyone else is more worried about avenging Mike Brown. Rather or not what happened to Brown was justified, it's not the only problem; it's not even the real problem.

Race is a difficult issue. If it were up to me, I'd just tell everyone not to recognize race at all. Don't ask for it on documents and such and don't be so quick to self identify. Not everything needs a label. Be an individual; don't force yourself into a group mentality. But it's not that simple, sadly.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:35 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,376 times
We Gen-X'ers are failing the millenials. Not as bad as the outright crime and grift from the Boomers but we aint doing anybody no favors either. Racism? Good grief, again?

#HispanicLivesMatter
#AsianLivesMatter
#NativeLivesMatter

Old 01-07-2015, 11:50 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
^ So in other words, "we suck too, but just not as bad as the Boomers"? Hey, give it time, y'all are just 'behind the curve' (as usual)!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Which generation invented the word "racism"?

Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ So in other words, "we suck too, but just not as bad as the Boomers"? Hey, give it time, y'all are just 'behind the curve' (as usual)!
Possibly. It's still a possibilty. I shudder at the thought though, god help those little retarded millenials.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,450,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Which generation invented the word "racism"?
The Ugly, Fascinating History Of The Word 'Racism'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies