Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be illegal to criticize / attack the Islamic religion?
Yes 4 2.19%
Yes, including all religions 5 2.73%
No, freedom of speech 174 95.08%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 05:42 PM

963 posts, read 689,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Since Islamic radicalism is on the rise and frequent occurrence, and many times journalists and other people from government level and even civilians getting attacked and murdered because of insulting Islam; should we ban people from insulting Islam to avoid any further attacks? Obviously this would be against freedom of speech, but should Islam be an exception?

According to the Quran, insulting Islam & Prophet Muhammad is capital punishment. Unfortunately some Muslims follow and do this even in the Western world.
If you're an American you should be ashamed to even ask such a stupid question.

Last edited by carlbenator; 01-09-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 05:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W99 View Post
Yes massacre is worse, however, satire kicked it all off, theres no denying it. With terrorist organizations about, it wasnt wise to put anything out in the public.
This I'll say: till the "Muslim" world steps up and nails its Islamists to the wall; they really need to be quiet because prejudice is getting MUCH worse against all of them, even the decent ones who DON'T go around starting trouble. What happened with Charlie Hebdo pretty much turned me against most Islamic sects.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
This I'll say: till the "Muslim" world steps up and nails its Islamists to the wall; they really need to be quiet because prejudice is getting MUCH worse against all of them, even the decent ones who DON'T go around starting trouble. What happened with Charlie Hebdo pretty much turned me against most Islamic sects.
yeah, I am pretty much out of patience with Islam, and I think most civilized people in the world are too. This religion is a problem - either they (moderate Muslims) take care of it..........or the rest of the world will, and that won't be pretty.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:21 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W99 View Post
Yes massacre is worse, however, satire kicked it all off, theres no denying it. With terrorist organizations about, it wasnt wise to put anything out in the public.

So you agree then; "they had it coming."

Old 01-09-2015, 07:06 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No it's a connection between stupidity and violence not necessarily religious connection. I've known some very devout people who are very intelligent who would probably just pray for you. It's not strong religious connection that is the issue here. It's ignorance.
Indeed, it's ignorance and following blindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
We all pay a price for association, don't we?

- A house in the neighborhood is foreclosed, the value of neighboring house diminishes.
- A Sikh, simply because he may appear like a Muslim, gets routinely probed at the airport.
- One gets into an automobile accident, he/she is not at fault but their insurance goes up.
- I hand a homeless person a Fiver, I see him use it for Liquor; I am now hesitant to give money to any homeless person (even though some may really need it).

As I see it, Muslims can either find a Messiah (Ayan Hirshi Ali, Tarek Fateh, Majid Nawaz etc) who will lead the charge to reform Islam or they need to leave the faith (and find moral guidance elsewhere).

There is no way a doctrine (as spelled out in Quran/Hadith) which assigns death as a punishment for Blasphemy/Apostasy/Adultery/Homosexuality is compatible with the western democracy.
Worth repeating! We might be able to add another to those points: In the face of these senseless attacks I could easily find myself distrusting and disliking all muslims who don't denounce them. Silence is assent, ergo you are one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
If you're an American you should be ashamed to even ask such a stupid question.
The question is more than legitimate, as sentiment in high places is tending in that direction. Government documents and manuals are being 'cleaned up' to eliminate what could be 'offensive' language, and some have suggested that criticizing the Muslim religion should be made 'hate speech'.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:10 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Hell to the NO!

Old 01-09-2015, 07:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Since Islamic radicalism is on the rise and frequent occurrence, and many times journalists and other people from government level and even civilians getting attacked and murdered because of insulting Islam; should we ban people from insulting Islam to avoid any further attacks? Obviously this would be against freedom of speech, but should Islam be an exception?

According to the Quran, insulting Islam & Prophet Muhammad is capital punishment. Unfortunately some Muslims follow and do this even in the Western world.
No, I say we go on a nationwide campaign of "blasphemy" and post it everywhere in the world it can be seen... Along with "Bring it on!"

Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
I have read the Quran twice it is immoral murderous licentious hate filled and violent and racist book written by a mentally unstable person. It is a book about how to serve your fellow man but is a cook book
Next question

Old 01-09-2015, 11:26 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,398 times
nothing should be beyond criticism, no religion ,no organization, no not the police or the military either.once groups get protection from criticism they think they can do what ever they want.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,928,915 times
If anything it should be criticized, taunted, made fun of, crapped on, etc even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies