Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 06:33 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The first thing I'd like to see is for them to map out a game plan leading up to the upcoming Supreme Court decision on Obamacare (King v Burwell), coming in June 2015. This is a case where the admin is being challenged for ignoring the clear language of the law, which says that health care subsidies must be routed through state-established exchanges. Since most states have not created an exchange, the admin has allowed subsidies to be routed through the federal exchange, in blatant violation of the law.

If the court rules against the admin, Obamacare will be thrown into chaos. This gives Congress terrific leverage in negotiating some legislative changes to the law. It also could shut up some of the yowling lefty detractors, who charge that Republicans have no agenda except to oppose Obama. Here the Republicans could claim credit for taking the initiative to responsibly deal with the mess that was created by Dems w/ Obamacare. We can completely repeal in 2017, but until then perhaps we can shoot for some harm reduction.

Some other ideas...I'd like to see some action on school choice. While I don't like the idea of a federal Department of Education, as long as it is there, we should make use of it. I'd like to see some action on concealed-carry reciprocity. If my driver's license is good in all 50 states, so should be my gun license.

I have a few other ideas, but let's hear yours!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Ideas for the new congress and the best you can come up with is concealed carry, are there no other issues that might be slightly more important.
May YOU should read what was written BEFORE responding and making a complete fool of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 06:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I stand corrected you did mention defunding Obama Care and school choice but it seemed that concealed carry was the hot topic.

You never responded to the 2nd post, what happens when Obama Care is defeated?
I didn't say anything about defunding Obamacare. Obamacare is not going anywhere until 2017. Again, pending 2017 we can try for harm reduction. Concealed carry was incidental in my post; how do you figure that it was a 'hot topic.'

Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
That would be awesome, if they make dramatic changes after breaking it they will own it.

Now think about that for a moment.....
What you've just done is refer to following the law as "breaking it." I think you're the one who needs to stop and think for a moment.

I would submit to you that if you break Obamacare by following it, then it was broken to begin with.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:22 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What you've just done is refer to following the law as "breaking it." I think you're the one who needs to stop and think for a moment.

I would submit to you that if you break Obamacare by following it, then it was broken to begin with.
Actually lets be honest, any large government program is broken, and normally small fixes are made throughout its life, whether its building a new tank, a bridge, or anything really. In this case obstructionism has hurt what could have been a better bill.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Here is a good place to start;

Reason Magazine - Policy Agenda 2015

Old 01-08-2015, 03:33 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Well, when Rick Perry deployed the Texian national guard, the illegal immigration of all thoise children stopped instantly, didnt it. Yeah right.

California will NEVER do such as thing. Once the illegals are in, and can get their California drivers licences, they are on their way to infiltrating the rest of the nation.
Arizona tried it and Obama shut them down. If the right to border enforcement were given to all the states illegal immigration would be far less. You're right about Calif. but if that is the only state they'd be able to get into and be welcomed in that would bankrupt the state and they'd have to re-think their liberal view on illegal immigration.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:43 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ask the heavily Republican Western Growers Association what they think of cutting the flow of Immigrants, legal and illegal, from Mexico to the US. Ask the heavily Republican Landscaping Companies in most US suburbs the same question. The Republican animosity seems to be directed against the illegal women and children that did not create their poverty but are blamed anyway.

The only part of Obamacare I support is preventing insurance companies from discriminating against people with existing conditions such as cancer. The rest is a simple giveaway to the unneeded private health insurance. We do not need the ACA but we do need a universal health care system that treats everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

So far, with their opening attack on Social Security Disability system, the Republicans are living down to my expectations. I expect they will attempt to starve our National Parks and Monuments out of existence so they can be sold to Disney.

PS: I think ending H1b immigration is a good idea and legalizing marijuana is even better.
Where are you getting the idea that those industries are dominated by Republican owners? Do you have a link to your claims? Where are you getting the idea that Republicans are ok with male illegal aliens but not the women and children here illegally? What has their poverty to do with it? None of them have a right to be here regardless of their economic problems. These women are giving birth on our soil and tapping into our welfare coffers thru them. Shouldn't those tax dollars go to the poor parents who are citizens of this country instead?

Have you even tried to read what these debates about SS and SSDI are really about and why we need to take steps to keep them solvent?

I am for ending the H1-B program also while I disagree on legalizing marijuana.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:34 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Quote:
Lower taxes for everyone, not just for businesses and the wealthy.

Nope, we have debt to pay down. You dont do that by lowering your income.
You forgot the other part of the equation. Spending. It needs to be dramatically lowered. That will pay debt down.
With taxation, you are putting money in the hands of those who are very inefficient with it.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:21 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Yes we have a lot to look forward to with the new Senate leaders ....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/senate...051500505.html

Old 01-09-2015, 11:29 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
If the court rules against the admin, Obamacare will be thrown into chaos. This gives Congress terrific leverage in negotiating some legislative changes to the law.
In violation of the Constitution?

Great.

I'll certainly be looking forward to that.

Healthcare is intra-State commerce and Congress has no authority.

Healthcare consists of two components:

1] medical care, which is intra-State commerce and Congress has no authority
2] health plan coverage, which is intra-State commerce and Congress has no authority.

For those who have economic or financial issues with healthcare, you need to be addressing those issues through your State legislature and not through Congress.

The first thing you can do, is move for Free Market reforms. You can do that by having your State legislature repeal all of the legislation that exempts so-called "non-profit hospitals" (snicker) from anti-trust laws.

Once the exemptions are removed, and the hospital monopolies are gone, then you will be billed $2,800 for an appendectomy instead of being raped for $55,000.

Even better, your insurance company will pay $2,800 instead of settling the $55,000 claim for $11,000.

And the beauty of it all is not only will medical care be affordable, so will health insurance.

Then, you can have your State legislature repeal all of the crippling "enabling laws" or "enabling legislation" enacted at the behest of the American Hospital Association that prevents you from having affordable healthcare.

What Congress needs to do is repeal the IRS Tax Codes that exempt health benefits from taxation and which prevent Americans from profiting off of their healthcare.

Quote:
Some other ideas...I'd like to see some action on school choice. While I don't like the idea of a federal Department of Education, as long as it is there, we should make use of it.
You already have school choice: it's called "voting."

Quote:
I'd like to see some action on concealed-carry reciprocity. If my driver's license is good in all 50 states, so should be my gun license.
That is an incorrect interpretation of the Full Faith & Credit Clause.

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

When you read Morris' committee notes, it's clear this only applies to judgments and all other matters stemming from judicial or legal proceedings.

It effectively equates to res judicata.

Gun licenses, concealed carry permits, driver's licenses, marriages and such do not fall within the purview.

Reciprocity is contrary to federalism.

Having said that, there is nothing that bars any two States from entering into a reciprocity agreement to recognize various licenses such as driver's, guns, marriages, attorneys, doctors, nurses, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers or any other licenses for professions or personal grants.

For example, Indiana did not recognize my license from Ohio as an investigator. Neither did Kentucky, although it was only a matter of registering your business with a county in Kentucky to have permission.

Basically, no State is obligated to recognize anything from any other State, unless it is signed by a judge or the governor.

The second part of the Clause allows Congress to set universal minimum evidentiary requirements.

Constitutionally...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies