Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 06:31 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sooo you work 7 days a week, and dont enjoy life at all. got it. Your tale of hardship seems worse then most....the fact that you appear to be proud of it is fascinating.

I DID not say I do not enjoy life
NOR was I boasting
I stated some facts
that you interpreted what I said I find typical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 06:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, I don't. I know exactly what it's like since I've been there. I learned a lot about self control during those years.

do you know what ut's like to live on a poverty-level income? Could you live today on a poverty-level income?

Old 01-08-2015, 06:43 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
These same people seem to find enough money to go on vacations and buy tattoos and the latest cell phone but don't have any money for what is important.

Some 'poor' people are connected and get freebies, pop out a kid and the freebies flow. On top of whatever they get from government, they get help from parents, grandparents, siblings, boyfriends and baby daddies. The childless poor don't get much freebies beyond perhaps food stamps and Medicaid, and typically don't have personal networks that lavish them with freebies.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:46 AM

13,941 posts, read 5,615,884 times
OK, so I see this thread and the lamenting over the average individual living paycheck to paycheck...AND?

Are we simply commenting on the misery of it all, or do all you "it's not their fault" people have a suggestion on how to wave a pen and make all the people who have no freaking idea nor impulse to delay gratification begin to be savers, investors and long term thinkers?

What's the freaking point, the goal, the motivation behind this entire conversation? Is this just another "eat the rich" mob chant? What exactly should "we" be doing, whether "we" is Leviathan, the evil rich you all wish to gut gore and filet, or even the middle class earner paying the freight for all the ideas?

What do you all suggest, now that we've divided up the statistics in the most lamentable way possible, to change human nature in a nation of hedonists?

Old 01-08-2015, 06:47 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sooo you work 7 days a week, and dont enjoy life at all. got it. Your tale of hardship seems worse then most....the fact that you appear to be proud of it is fascinating.
Almost as fascinating as the folks that make sure to not work a lot, because they need the "me" time, have every luxury available, then have no problem taking my tax dollars to support themselves. A lot of them seem pretty proud of that.

And the fact that you are mocking someone that IS working hard, implying that they are a fool, shows a lot about why this country has an entitlement problem.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:48 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Scary that 60% of Americans don't have savings for minor emergencies such as repairs.
Lots of folks are living paycheck to paycheck with little to no savings.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...expected-bills

Original WSJ article:
Most Americans Don
People live on credit cards these days.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I know people in the 1 % Club who live paycheck to paycheck.

My wife and I earn well over six figures and live "paycheck to paycheck". Every dollar is allocated to either living expenses or our investments/savings. No money is left on the table to be wasted.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
My wife and I earn well over six figures and live "paycheck to paycheck". Every dollar is allocated to either living expenses or our investments/savings. No money is left on the table to be wasted.
Most folks that live paycheck to paycheck don't have anything left over for savings/investment.
You're misinterpreting the term "paycheck to paycheck".

Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yepimonfire View Post
It depends, the majority of people who live paycheck to paycheck that i've come across have nowhere to cut from. Many of these people had higher standards of living and then were laid off only to find employment with a pay cut. When you're paying a mortgage, car, credit, health insurance etc. that you were very easily managing on your 80k salary, and now you're making a 50k salary, or worse even, 40l, those longterm commitments don't go away. I was making 32k, bought a car that was affordable on that salary, and then i lost the job, found min. wage employment only, and have had two major repairs pop up costing over 2 grand, needless to say my car is just a hunk of steel that can't be driven due to the problems i can't afford to fix. Where am i going to cut from? My meager $100 a month food bill?
This.

The commitments one had when making that higher salary don't just go away when a person is laid off and ends up getting a job that pays half as much or less.
If anything, they end up costing more when one is unable to pay on time due to late fees, diminished credit rating and the like.
Many people will never recover financially from this loss of income.
Never.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 AM

13,941 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most folks that live paycheck to paycheck don't have anything left over for savings/investment.
You're misinterpreting the term "paycheck to paycheck".
OK, so again I ask...AND?

If people are living paycheck to paycheck, like the for real kind, and this is "The Problem" then what pray tell is "The Solution?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies