Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
People have champagne taste on a beer budget. As you noted, they don't want to settle for a traditional, reasonably priced washer and dryer. They want the $3000 front loaders with fifty-two cycles that they'll never use. At my old job I had a co-worker who complained about money yet managed to afford cigarettes and daily lattes from Starbucks.
Sixteen years ago, I spent $2800 on a front loading washer and gas dryer. I then moved to the center of the country where natural gas is cheap, and water is bloody expensive. The self-adjusting washer uses less than half the water per load of a top-loader. I think I made a wise choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok fine. Then what happens when your car breaks down ? Your water heater goes kaput ?
Then think further into the future when you hit 60 years old and retirement enters your mind.

Seems many live for today and live above their means and it's not just poor people..it's the majority of Americans.
Sigh. I'm not going to deny someone a freakin' dinner at a taco place or a vacation up north. Good god, relax.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Sixteen years ago, I spent $2800 on a front loading washer and gas dryer. I then moved to the center of the country, where natural gas is cheap, and water is bloody expensive. The self-adjusting washer uses less than half the water per load of a top-loader. I think I made a wise choice.

Wise choices cannot be made on insufficient resources. Many people cannot afford to spend $2800 on a washer and dryer and end up paying more in the long run.

Being poor is expensive and financially inefficient.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I got a better idea. All potential "parents" must post a $25K bond that they can afford to actually expand their family without governement assistance. Eliminate tax credits for children and change them to increased taxes due to them using government services.

On paper, it sounds good. And if someone gives birth without posting bond?

What might be the economic impact of a substantially declining population over the long haul?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Wise choices cannot be made on insufficient resources. Many people cannot afford to spend $2800 on a washer and dryer and end up paying more in the long run.

Absolutely true.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That is just beyond stupid. /SMH

I took on considerable credit card debt in order to make student loan payments. Would you prefer that I had lower credit card debt and defaulted earlier on my student loans?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

You are right but if you search you can find that Sears still has the Layaway plan for those people that don't have $2800 in their bank account.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Absolutely true.

Which is why we need regressive taxes right IC?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:53 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Those who don't like the low interest paid by banks on passbook saving should go to their local Credit Union.
In fact, investigate several credit unions, and choose the one which has shown the highest dividend payments over the years.
THAT is where my savings accounts are, and the dividends paid are usually about twice what the banks pay.
ANYBODY can have a savings account! Even the poorest person in the country can manage to put $1 per month in a piggy bank, IF THEY WANT TO! Yes, I HAVE been nearly that poor in the past, and yes, I DID have savings. I KNOW it can be done!
BUT, once that money is put aside, they have to leave it alone! They don't do that, though, as soon as it gets up to ten or twenty dollars, they spend it.
I know, because I used to do the same thing!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Sixteen years ago, I spent $2800 on a front loading washer and gas dryer. I then moved to the center of the country where natural gas is cheap, and water is bloody expensive. The self-adjusting washer uses less than half the water per load of a top-loader. I think I made a wise choice.
We don't have a gas dryer b/c we don't have a hookup and it would cost too much to run one to the laundry room. However, we do have the large capacity washer/dryer with self-adjusting water. It's great; you can also wait until you have a big load instead of doing all those little loads. Great investment; I wish we'd had one when the kids were living with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
On paper, it sounds good. And if someone gives birth without posting bond?

What might be the economic impact of a substantially declining population over the long haul?
I don't think this "posting bond" thing would work. Pregnancy is often rather, well, spontaneous.

Here's an article about what's happening in Japan re: declining birth rate:
Japan's Population Declined In 2014 As Births Fell To A New Low | NCPR News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies