Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
60% of Americans what? Have smart phones and iPods? None of the over-25 minimum wage drones with whom I work have either of those.
LOL..the title and content of this thread.

60% of Americans don't even have $500 in their bank accounts to pay for car repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
My husband owns a BMW repair shop. Now, because it is an independent shop, he gets cars that are a little older and out of warranty--otherwise the owners would go to the dealer. But still, it is well known that BMWs are expensive to maintain, and these are cars that were very expensive when they were new. So you would think that only the well-heeled would buy them and hang on to them. Wrong. Often people come in for repairs and/or maintenance and when they get the bill, they ask if they can postdate the check until after their next payday. Or they pull out four credit cards and ask my husband to split the bill in four parts and put a portion on each card. It's really quite pathetic.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But they have plenty of money for a smart phone and Starbucks coffee every day.
42% of americans do not own a smart phone. You seem to have an odd idea of what its like for poor people. Keep in mind, of the 58% who DO own a smart phone, many of them are getting hand me downs.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
42% of americans do not own a smart phone. You seem to have an odd idea of what its like for poor people. Keep in mind, of the 58% who DO own a smart phone, many of them are getting hand me downs.
You should hear what some of them pay in phone bills each month.
I was shocked to hear $300-$400 bills for family plan.

And these are people poor enough to have their kids qualified for free lunch.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bankrate is a very reputable source.

All that money flying around driving Wall Street to new highs is coming from the Fed's printing press which has done an excellent job of convincing people that America is booming again.
And you think America isn't booming?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My husband owns a BMW repair shop. Now, because it is an independent shop, he gets cars that are a little older and out of warranty--otherwise the owners would go to the dealer. But still, it is well known that BMWs are expensive to maintain, and these are cars that were very expensive when they were new. So you would think that only the well-heeled would buy them and hang on to them. Wrong. Often people come in for repairs and/or maintenance and when they get the bill, they ask if they can postdate the check until after their next payday. Or they pull out four credit cards and ask my husband to split the bill in four parts and put a portion on each card. It's really quite pathetic.
This is EXACTLY why I only own American cars. Cheaper to maintain/repair and just as dependable.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You should hear what some of them pay in phone bills each month.
I was shocked to hear $300-$400 bills for family plan.

And these are people poor enough to have their kids qualified for free lunch.
Please, I have a at&t plan with 4 phones on it, and im not paying that much. In fact, the MOST expensive carrier (at&t) with 5 lines, on a 2 year contract for the phones to be subsidized is only $330.

Best Family Plan: Sprint vs. AT&T vs. Verizon vs. T-Mobile | Page 7 | Digital Trends

I do not find your statement credible.

Actually I have 6 lines, 2 of them being smart watches with phone capabilities and I don't pay that much-and both the watches and 2 of the phones are insured. lol.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Please, I have a at&t plan with 4 phones on it, and im not paying that much. In fact, the MOST expensive carrier (at&t) with 5 lines, on a 2 year contract for the phones to be subsidized is only $330.

Best Family Plan: Sprint vs. AT&T vs. Verizon vs. T-Mobile | Page 7 | Digital Trends

I do not find your statement credible.
Leave it to the Texans to use scare tactics and fear mongering.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:07 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
ANYBODY who has an income can build savings!
ANYBODY can afford to put $5 per payday in savings.
Or even $1
IF they WANT to!
If they don't WANT to, they won't.
That means it is nobody's fault but their own that they have no savings.

I remember when I was a kid, going to the Post Office and buying "Savings Stamps" and sticking them in a book sort of like S&H Green Stamps. When the book was full, we could trade it for a $25 Savings Bond.
There were times when it was terribly tough to decide whether that dime was going for a Savings Stamp or an ice cream cone and a candy bar. More often than not, the ice cream and candy won out. I don't remember ever getting a savings bond, since the stamps could be sold back for face value!
It was nobody's fault but MINE that I didn't have any savings!
Even when I was active military, making almost nothing per month, there was a bond a month plan. Had I signed up for it, I would have had nearly 48 $25 bonds when I was released from active duty. Whose fault was it that I did not have them? MINE!
Those who have no savings have only one person to blame: THEMSELVES!

Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Leave it to the Texans to use scare tactics and fear mongering.

I can't prove it. I don't have the bill. Just relaying what I was told by them.
As I said, I was shocked that people are paying that kind of money for smart phone plans.

I pay $45/month (Verizon) and I have a smart phone.

Scare tactics and fear mongering ? What am I trying to invoke fear in ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies