Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,121,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Personally I dont want to live in a country where the convicted criminal is treated like a victim.
I don't want to live in a country like that, either. I never said anything about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 12:52 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,571,055 times
I'm all for the victim's family deciding what the lethal concoction should be.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Uh-huh- no way... I do not forgive. that type of behavior there is no reward so great to me that I will forgive someone for hurting my child or loved one. SOrry but that criminal better be thankful they are even in court and safe until sentensing for there is no greater motivation to see justice done then to have death presented to the person that caused you the greatest grief your body has ever known that there is nothing that can every make right!! hte pain stop or the tears dry. everyday your loved one is gone, you miss them.

But with that said.... the fact that --that criminal is no longer contributing to our Global Warming problems by breathing and leaving a carbon footprint-- I do believe that makes something right with the world! Consider it my little way of recycling.
I feel no obligation to forgive anyone for anything if I don't want to, but that's me. I don't think forgiveness has much to do with it, but your post doesn't sound all that Roman Catholic to me. Just saying.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,153,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
And who's going to be the one who cleans up the ooey-gooey mess? You?

This is why people have life sentences---because the cost of cleaning up a body and the execution process now costs more than housing an inmate for life. And how would you know what the crime was with just one sweeping statement? The decision to send someone to death row or a mental hospital is a matter of one jury vote. Who would qualify for being shot in the back of the head vs lethal injection/another method? Rapists? murderers? Manslaughters? Armed Robbery? Who's to judge how savage we can be?

As a society, we should be moving forward in progress rather than moving back. I've said this many times now.
Not so messy at all, amd yeah I would clean it up especially if the thugs victim had been one of my family. As for who qualifies? All of them.. They judged themselves when they committed their crimes.
True story and it applies.
I was just made team leader and struggled with who to write up for performance issues. I felt guilty about damaging someones career. My mentor a wise and all knowing senior tech made it easy for me.
He asked " Did you provide feedback and coaching?" Yes
" Did you inform him of the consequences?" Yes
" Then he made the decision to be written up not you"
Criminals know it is against the law to rob, murder, rape, and molest children. They have made the decision that death is an acceptable outcome for them when caught.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,866,616 times
I'm oppose to the death penalty, but it has to exist why death by carbon monoxide poisoning. That supposedly the most peaceful way to go, thats what Dr. Kavorkian used.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,367,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I agree with everything in your post.
So we will show that killing is wrong by killing?
So killing is only right if the government says so?
Who decides?

It's hard to hold people to standards that we as a society don't adhere to.
It's not to show it's wrong. It's to make sure the sorry SOB doesn't get released and hurt or kill my kids next. Because statistically, nearly 100% of people convicted of violent crimes when released will re-offend. I'm also not willing to work my @ss off for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week just to make sure they have a bed to sleep in and 3 squares a day.

I'm very highly in favor of the death penalty and if they are having a hard time finding someone with the intestinal fortitude to flip the switch, I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
It's not to show it's wrong. It's to make sure the sorry SOB doesn't get released and hurt or kill my kids next.
Isn't that what life imprisonment is for, also?

Quote:
I'm also not willing to work my @ss off for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week just to make sure they have a bed to sleep in and 3 squares a day.
...because clearly that's exactly what you would be doing.

Quote:
I'm very highly in favor of the death penalty and if they are having a hard time finding someone with the intestinal fortitude to flip the switch, I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time.
I can't believe I ever wondered about the result of the Milgram experiment.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,644,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
It's not to show it's wrong. It's to make sure the sorry SOB doesn't get released and hurt or kill my kids next. Because statistically, nearly 100% of people convicted of violent crimes when released will re-offend.
Uh, so give them life without parole.

Quote:
I'm also not willing to work my @ss off for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week just to make sure they have a bed to sleep in and 3 squares a day.
Your tax dollars go toward funding much worse things, believe me.

Quote:
Wow, some of the bloodthirsty anger I've read in this thread is downright scary. I wonder how many of these people consider themselves pro-life ...

It is possible to abhor violent crime and not want to coddle the people who committed the crime. It's amazing to think that most modern, civilized nations have gotten beyond this eye-for-an-eye revenge mentality, but we seem stuck in it. Does killing someone bring the victims back? Does it teach that killing is wrong?

Put these people in prison for life without parole, without whatever luxuries and accoutrements people imagine that prisoners get these days. That's punishment enough. We have to get over our frontier mentality that death and violence are the answer to every problem. I don't want to live in a society that thinks it's acceptable to stoop to the level of a murderer to prove a point or exact some kind of revenge.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:04 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,367,818 times
YoAdrian Uh, so give them life without parole.

I'm not working my butt off to support them after they've committed violent crimes - have you lost your mind??

Your tax dollars go toward funding much worse things, believe me.

I have no doubt. Yet one more of the many things that needs to be fixed in this country.

Wow, some of the bloodthirsty anger I've read in this thread is downright scary. I wonder how many of these people consider themselves pro-life ...

Pro-choice - sorry.

It is possible to abhor violent crime and not want to coddle the people who committed the crime. It's amazing to think that most modern, civilized nations have gotten beyond this eye-for-an-eye revenge mentality, but we seem stuck in it. Does killing someone bring the victims back? Does it teach that killing is wrong?

I never said it would bring back a victim, simply keep more people from becoming victims. That's the point of the death penalty.

Put these people in prison for life without parole, without whatever luxuries and accoutrements people imagine that prisoners get these days. That's punishment enough. We have to get over our frontier mentality that death and violence are the answer to every problem. I don't want to live in a society that thinks it's acceptable to stoop to the level of a murderer to prove a point or exact some kind of revenge.

The problem is there is always the possibility of them being released. That's not a chance I'm willing to take. Sorry. I grew up in a law enforcement family, went into it myself, and later married into it. I've seen first hand the heinous things that humans can do to one another. If taking out a single violent offender will keep 5 innocent people from being hurt or killed, I say it's worth it.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,716,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not so messy at all, amd yeah I would clean it up especially if the thugs victim had been one of my family. As for who qualifies? All of them.. They judged themselves when they committed their crimes.
I thought it was all about the punishment fitting the crime.. so someone who has raped and killed many children under the age of 10 would recieve the same punishment as someone who shot a store clerk to steal money? Interesting logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies