Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,362,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Isn't that what life imprisonment is for, also?

...because clearly that's exactly what you would be doing.

I can't believe I ever wondered about the result of the Milgram experiment.
The Milgram experiment measured the willingness of a person to obey orders by an authority figure that conflicts with their own conscience. The death penalty does not conflict with mine at all.

Quote:
...because clearly that's exactly what you would be doing.
Your tax dollars go to house, feed, and entertain the incarcerated public. So yes, when you go to work all day, you are supporting them. Must be a wonderful feeling for parents of slain children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM

279 posts, read 1,136,652 times
My faith -which sooooo happens to be Roman Catholic .... and? so what? whats your point exactly? does that mean because I am RC that I dont feel that the Death Penalty is justified? LOL.. I am nota good RC cuz I think that death is justified? thats fine with me. Its a religion baised on faith and stories, led by a POPE who wont condemn his own priests for being pedophiles!!! Yet spouts holiness..

I also happen to believe that what a woman does with her body is her own dang business not up to the church, state or gov't, or anyone else but ME!!!thank you very much! You dont see mens bodies up on the auction block every time there is an election do you? In fax=ct seems most of the politic problems men have is NOT Keeping it in thier own pants, but getting it into someone elses! we used to say take a chill pill now its NOOOO.. noo pill.... LOL

Seriously, I dont see Mahoney in his self serving lying child pedophiling ways being admonished by the Pope now do I..nope in fact I see him STILL covering it all up! and Mahoney himself is guilty of such crimes. And the Pope saying forgive forgive.. nah -- its my religion I was brought up in, however I dont necessarily practice it. Fact is we all either Die and become worm food and thats the end of it, or our "soul" goes wherever our million religions (who all scream to be the only true relgion) says it goes. Fact is, no one really knows.. and faith means we all "should" believe in something.. I do believe in the death penalty and I do believe that life without parole is not satisfactory.

If their victims were not allowed to live and shown mercy- and it is inhuman to kill the victims wasnt it? well, then neither should the criminals on death row expect to recieve anything other then death.

Arent you glad I am not running for president.. whole lotta changes would be made in this here country.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I thought it was all about the punishment fitting the crime.. so someone who has raped and killed many children under the age of 10 would recieve the same punishment as someone who shot a store clerk to steal money? Interesting logic.
It's beyond me that you see a difference. Murder is murder. If released they will re-offend. And because there are so many bleeding heart liberals in this country anymore, they will be released in most cases and therefor re-offend. That sets everyone of us up for a potentially lethal situation.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Arent you glad I am not running for president.. whole lotta changes would be made in this here country.
I'd vote for ya!!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,146,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
I thought it was all about the punishment fitting the crime.. so someone who has raped and killed many children under the age of 10 would recieve the same punishment as someone who shot a store clerk to steal money? Interesting logic.
I would say the punishment would fit the crime perfectly. Well actually the murderer of many children should be forced to endure a slow execution. But we have mercy in our hearts so they can receive the quick death. All violent felons deserve the same end. It is after all the life they have chosen. Is it not fitting that theirs should end prematurly as their victims?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,120,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The Milgram experiment measured the willingness of a person to obey orders by an authority figure that conflicts with their own conscience. The death penalty does not conflict with mine at all.
But there's a difference. Many people say that the death penalty does not conflict with their consciences, but they would not be able to flip the switch. You actually said you'd be willing to kill the person yourself. I just find that disturbing and I would think most people would struggle with such a decision.

Quote:
Your tax dollars go to house, feed, and entertain the incarcerated public. So yes, when you go to work all day, you are supporting them. Must be a wonderful feeling for parents of slain children.
I think the "entertain" part is up for debate.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
My faith -which sooooo happens to be Roman Catholic .... and? so what? whats your point exactly? ....
Okay, your point is taken. I brought the Catholicism up because I know some Catholics who believe that you have to be pro-life in every way to truly be Catholic. But I'm not here to argue whether or not that's actually the case.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Murder is murder.
Funny you should say that, since that would be my argument against state-sanctioned murder. Same thing as any murder, really.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
But there's a difference. Many people say that the death penalty does not conflict with their consciences, but they would not be able to flip the switch. You actually said you'd be willing to kill the person yourself. I just find that disturbing and I would think most people would struggle with such a decision.

I think the "entertain" part is up for debate.
I'm sorry you find it disturbing, but to me it's a matter of self preservation of the community as a whole. It's not something every human can do - true. Few could. Just as putting on a specific uniform and driving a specific car at work every day, willing to die for any stranger that comes along takes a certain type of person. They, meaning law enforcement and the military, are willing to step in front of a bullet for you, even if they don't know you. It's a very unique and courageous person that can do that.

I see ensuring that violent criminals are removed permanently from this planet so that no other innocent person is harmed is a very important job too. One that I'd be proud to have.

As for entertainment, when's the last time you visited a jail? I worked for a large sheriff's office in SW FL. They have color cable TV, fitness centers, computers with internet access, a library, an enclosed 'play ground' for lack of a better word, movie night, on and on. I think that consitutes entertainment. And I think it's pathetic. They broke the law, in many cases causing a great deal of undue stress on the public. And for that they get a bed, 3 meals, and entertainment. I just don't think that's fair.

While serving their time, if it's not for a violent crime, they should be wards of the state in my opinion. Bring back chain gangs. Let them clean the side of the road, wash the emergency vehicles that the county owns, do the maintenance on the jails, etc. Put them to work. But don't make them popcorn and show them Dumb and Dumber on Friday night.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Funny you should say that, since that would be my argument against state-sanctioned murder. Same thing as any murder, really.
One is murder. One is punishment / protecting the public.

One is done by a violent thug that if not stopped will continue. One is done by a legal order in a humane way, which I think is nonsense, but at least it's done.

Guess we just have to agree to disagree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies