Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:40 PM

6,367 posts, read 6,244,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
GOP relaunches push to ban late-term abortions | TheHill

That's awesome. I think the next one should be gay marriage.
Stuff like the economy, the availability of good jobs, the way the federal government is working, the situation with militants in Iraq and Syria, equal pay for women and the federal budget deficit are BORING.
Way to get nothing accomplished. .. AGAIN!

I wonder if we added up all of the salaries from the Senate and the House, how they would compare to the total pay out of SSI each year?

(And NOT including SSDI because those people actually paid into the system unlike congress! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Can someone explain the pay gap for women to me. I think this is bogus nowdays. Salaries are either a) set out by HR in pay bands where all employees selected for the job make similar salary, and there's no hanky panky as it's all monitored by the black female HR Sr. Vice President........or b) it's a small business and the salary is negotiable or c) it's commission, where the more sales, the more pay

Someone convince me it exists versus just giving me average women's pay versus mens which means absolutely zilch.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Can someone explain the pay gap for women to me. I think this is bogus nowdays. Salaries are either a) set out by HR in pay bands where all employees selected for the job make similar salary, and there's no hanky panky as it's all monitored by the black female HR Sr. Vice President........or b) it's a small business and the salary is negotiable or c) it's commission, where the more sales, the more pay

Someone convince me it exists versus just giving me average women's pay versus mens which means absolutely zilch.
I've argued this a few times. There IS a pay gap for some thats unjust. But more and more today I think its more about learned skills, and time lost due to pregnancy. So the answer is.....its complicated

Yes there is a pay gap, sometimes it is due to male vs female discrimination, but other times its about skills, and 3-6 months hole poked in your employment history.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 PM

62,727 posts, read 28,935,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
The reality is the Christian Right does hate women. They look at women as child bearers, maids and cooks and nothing more. I am very religious myself and somewhat conservative and even they scare me. I have met many people from these groups and they have told me their agenda is to put women back into the kitchen and they start by chipping away little by little. The left scares me too btw with their views.
I am a Christian conservative and I don't feel that way. The circles I run in are like minded also. What you are referring to is a minority of extremists. Not a good example of most of the Christian right at all. As for the abortion issue I am pro-life but it has nothing to do with hating women at all.

I also find it hard to believe that any man would make the statements that you claim they have unless it was said in jest just to get a rise out of you.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,559,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I've argued this a few times. There IS a pay gap for some thats unjust. But more and more today I think its more about learned skills, and time lost due to pregnancy. So the answer is.....its complicated

Yes there is a pay gap, sometimes it is due to male vs female discrimination, but other times its about skills, and 3-6 months hole poked in your employment history.
Don't get me wrong, I know there's a pay gap, but what I am asking is for someone to prove to me that it's due to discrimination versus skills/experience differences. In larger companies, there is no discrimination - HR totally prevents it - in fact, there is probably a small degree of reverse discrimination in favor of women in terms of selection/salary. And HR departments are run by women and minotiries from the top down. I also know some women where I work that turn down promotions to management because they don't want the out of town trips for business meetings, and other demands of management, to interfere with their family life. This is their personal choice - not discrimination. I also know women that took years away from the workforce raising their children, then return to work. No, they don't get paid equal to male (or female) counterparts who continued working and moved up the pay scale due to increased skills and experience. If you want to argue that Bubba at Bubba's Lunch pay's men a little more than women because he discriminates - I guess that could happen, but this is almost a red herring and no one will have any data to prove such.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:31 PM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Quote:

Stuff like the economy, the availability of good jobs, the way the federal government is working, the situation with militants in Iraq and Syria, equal pay for women and the federal budget deficit are BORING.
I like how two representatives who present a bill can be titled the "GOP" in the headlines.

The way the news is being fanned, one might take it that all the Republicans in the house brought it to floor and they are ready to vote on it now.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what else the Congress did on the first day?

If this was the only thing that came up, then it reminds me of Doonesbury and UN Ambassador Phred.

http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/db/1979/db790610.gif

While it might not be what I want, if no one else came to Congress on the first day with something to present, then one ought to at least appreciate those who did come to the job on the first day, ready to work.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:54 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,657,929 times
Well, the Republican party has made their bed over the issues that should be a tad down the line of priorities for most of America. The Dems have done their own brand of stalling on the real issues facing America but that''s how they roll and most knew it. This is simply hope and change stood on it's head. We'll never be free from the stupid, nor the overly political ambitious, at least we can look forward to a warm spring if we're lucky..

Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I am a Christian conservative and I don't feel that way. The circles I run in are like minded also. What you are referring to is a minority of extremists. Not a good example of most of the Christian right at all. As for the abortion issue I am pro-life but it has nothing to do with hating women at all.

I also find it hard to believe that any man would make the statements that you claim they have unless it was said in jest just to get a rise out of you.
I wish I was kidding but sadly am not. My one exboyfriend belonged to a fundie church that felt a woman's role was to be a housewife and mother and nothing more. At this church women had no rights, they couldn't even run the women group. Nothing wrong if a woman (or a man)chooses that, but telling someone that is their purpose hit me the wrong way. I don't see it with most conservative Christians but these extremists bothered me. I see nothing wrong with being prolife but many of these politicians really aren't prolife at all.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Don't get me wrong, I know there's a pay gap, but what I am asking is for someone to prove to me that it's due to discrimination versus skills/experience differences. In larger companies, there is no discrimination - HR totally prevents it - in fact, there is probably a small degree of reverse discrimination in favor of women in terms of selection/salary. And HR departments are run by women and minotiries from the top down. I also know some women where I work that turn down promotions to management because they don't want the out of town trips for business meetings, and other demands of management, to interfere with their family life. This is their personal choice - not discrimination. I also know women that took years away from the workforce raising their children, then return to work. No, they don't get paid equal to male (or female) counterparts who continued working and moved up the pay scale due to increased skills and experience. If you want to argue that Bubba at Bubba's Lunch pay's men a little more than women because he discriminates - I guess that could happen, but this is almost a red herring and no one will have any data to prove such.
I worked for a government run railroad and was paid less than male coworkers. Some of them had more experience and it makes sense they would be paid more. The rest didn't. Most of them were entry level recent college grads, while I had a masters degree and 10+ years work experience. When I questioned why this was happening they got nasty. The HR was mostly political cronies and black women so you'd think they would get it but they didn't.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
Quote:

I'm pro-choice but frankly the idea of a late-abortion of a fetus that is healthy and could possibly survive outside the womb troubles me. I don't believe in a free-for-all for anything - reasonable limits are acceptable. I don't think it the first thing the GOP should be focusing on, but I think the focus is justified.

I think that if you wait until the fifth month to terminate the pregnancy, and all else about the pregnancy is normal, then you're a moron.

[that's right...I said it]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies