Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we add a "Gun and Second Amendment Issues" sub-forum?
Yes 28 49.12%
No 29 50.88%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,104,761 times

Advertisements

Methinks those who are pro gun yet don't want this forum may know something we haven't yet learned. I would go along with a forum that discusses all of our rights as Americans, starting with the Bill of Rights and all Amendments to The Constitution. In that way we could also discuss why the media became so liberal, hiding behind the First Amendment.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,757,424 times
I am all for more choices! Go for it!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 AM

841 posts, read 2,255,849 times
no the immigration forum got the right-wing loons going But just imagine adding a gun sub-forum, its like hitting a bee hive

Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,484,395 times
It would be fun to have a place to talk about different makes of guns, Ammo and places to go shooting and reloading Ect. It wont be for everyone but people not interested don't need to come in.
Right now I would like to know what people think about the Kel-Tec 380?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,707,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
It would be fun to have a place to talk about different makes of guns, Ammo and places to go shooting and reloading Ect. It wont be for everyone but people not interested don't need to come in.
Right now I would like to know what people think about the Kel-Tec 380?
Kel-Tec is rather underrated, if you ask me. I've known several people with different Kel-Tec models and they have all been great guns. I can't say specifically about .380, but in general, I think they are good guns at a good price.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:54 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,308,465 times
I voted "no." Like several others I feel this sub-forum's scope would be too narrow and wouldn't have a lot of activity. If we were going to create a separate sub-forum for this, then why not one for LGBT issues or one for abortion-related issues? After all these two social issues are just as controversial as gun rights/gun control, are they not?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,865,078 times
I think the idea of a blanket constitution one that keeps coming up is good.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM

384 posts, read 284,761 times
I own a handgun but Im so sick and tired of others that have those that shouldn't.
And I really,really hate the NRA a non-profit organization....
non-profit....gimme a break.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,484,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones View Post
I own a handgun but Im so sick and tired of others that have those that shouldn't.
And I really,really hate the NRA a non-profit organization....
non-profit....gimme a break.
Did you stop and think? maybe its because of the NRA is why you have the right to own that handgun. If the NRA was not fighting for are gun rights who knows if you would own that gun today

Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 991,245 times
Actually, the NRA is precisely why you are allowed to own a handgun.

(Danger- History Lesson Ahead)

In 1932, when the National Firearms Act (NFA) was being drafted, handguns were originally included, to be restricted similarly as machine guns and sound suppressors. In order to prevent people from getting around the regulations on handguns by simply shortening a long gun, they also drafted in "barrel length" and "overall length" provisions in the NFA for long guns as well.

Due to political issues, the NRA petitioned on behalf of their constituents and handguns were removed from the National Firearms Act. So, the only reason you can own a handgun without having to submit fingerprints, photographs, a $200 transfer tax and the necessity to obtain a totally discretionary signature of your local Police Chief- who may or may not sign at his whim- before you can take possession of your handgun is 100% because of the NRA.

(Curiously enough, the "overall length" and "barrel length" provisions were never removed from the National Firearms Act legislation even though handguns- the restriction of which was the very predicate for the barrel length and overall length provisions- remained. A rifle with a barrel length of 12" doesn't posses any more odious a function as one with a barrel length of the legal 16" and even though "sawed off shotgun" has entered the lexicon of "scary pop culture", the reason they were restricted had nothing to do with Master P or Ice Cube.

Thus, you can own a completely concealable handgun, you can own an extremely powerful and accurate long gun without much restriction, but if you want to own a "short long gun", it requires the same process required to own a machinegun, not by philosophical design, but because of legislative carelessness.

Furthermore, the reason "silencers" are restricted has nothing to do with the surly mob hitman carefully screwing one onto the end of his revolver (<-- gun nut joke) before whacking the snitch. It had to do with the NFA being drafted in the middle of the Depression and people were using them to poach game animals to feed their families. In Great Britain, where it is completely illegal to own a handgun, you can purchase a firearms silencer with about as much effort or paperwork as you or I put forth to purchase a candy bar)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies