Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a free two year education for only students that graduate?
yes 36 33.03%
no 63 57.80%
Tom Brady is getting another ring this year 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:40 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
But it's free. The man said so.

The only good thing is that those with bad grades won't cut it anyway so their 13th grade won't last long.
Nothing is free, especially from the government. Especially THIS administration.

You think that the government will pay for it? Where, exactly does the government get its money? Oh yeah, from taxes! Who pays those taxes? Every citizen. The only exceptions would be the illegals who don't pay taxes anyway.

Keep up your grades? By whose standards, the government? Some of us who can think without their guidance realize that those standards would only apply to Obama sanctioned courses (far left liberal indoctrination) or suddenly the students will receive a bill.

More typical political BS from Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:41 AM

998 posts, read 665,172 times
Oh, I'm sure this will help lower tuition rates. More free government money!

Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
This "president" is doing this at the expense of what the IRS is doing to a number of folks, and that's stealing people's tax refunds because they're not complying with the new (Un-)ACA compliance regulations. So Barry wants to make college free for those his party punishes.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Nothing is free, especially from the government. Especially THIS administration.

You think that the government will pay for it? Where, exactly does the government get its money? Oh yeah, from taxes! Who pays those taxes? Every citizen. The only exceptions would be the illegals who don't pay taxes anyway.

Keep up your grades? By whose standards, the government? Some of us who can think without their guidance realize that those standards would only apply to Obama sanctioned courses (far left liberal indoctrination) or suddenly the students will receive a bill.

More typical political BS from Obama.
Yes, it would be an extension of the 12 year federally funded indoctrination. It would also give illegals the chance to compete for skilled labor by giving them a free college education. Like I said, nothing noble and I hope Americans see through this.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 AM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. you still have a high drop out rate of high schoolers...infact Nevada has over a 50% drop out rate

2. community college is already cheap.... why make it free devaluing the education

3. many if not most also qualify for pell grants making CC already nearly free

this will not make more people better educated.... it will make the fact of having and associates degree to become meaningless
I live in Nevada (Las Vegas) and the public school system is a joke. I can be out at 11:00 am on a weekday and I'll see kids of all ages not in school, it's crazy. The sad thing is people move out here because there's no state tax, not realizing they're essentially paying it anyways in private school tuition.

I agree that this move will render the 2-year degree meaningless. They're just going to push everyone through, the same way they do with high school, and we'll have another generation of people with a fancy certificate and no qualifications to do anything.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Yes, it would be an extension of the 12 year federally funded indoctrination. It would also give illegals the chance to compete for skilled labor by giving them a free college education. Like I said, nothing noble and I hope Americans see through this.
Yep, federally funded (read tax payer funded) indoctrination. Are people this naive or are people as we say, always looking for yet another handout.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Or we may have lost appreciation for the government because they always use the poor to siphon more money from the people. The poor, with promises of deliverance all too gladly believe and did you notice, nothing changes except the government got more of the peoples money. The government is made up of human beings who are by nature greedy. No government official cares about the poor more than themselves and people need to grow up and realize that. Besides, if someone doesn't care about themselves how can they expect others to care more?

Where there is a will there is a way, people would rather cry hoping someone would drop a boatload of money in their lap instead of mustering up will. The fact they don't care who government robs makes me care all the less.
Well....to be fair.....in 1960 the poverty rate for African Americans was 60%....and much of that poverty was abject in the rural south. By 2000 the black poverty rate had fallen to 24%. Such empirical evidence makes it hard to follow your reasoning. Not that the great society programs are are cause for the total drop.....but if big government is so bad then one should see things having gotten worse.....not better.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Trades training classes used to be offered in public high schools when I was growing up, along with local business internships, until the 'everyone must go to college' mantra shut them down.
They are back in my areas high schools due to a lack of qualified workers now in various trades. My son (7th grader) goes to a high school that offers certifications in welding, tool and die, electrical, and CAD amongst others in fields and trades that are in high demand in this area but there are shortages of workers. When they graduate high school, they are highly sought after. His school allows students to take courses at our local university and trade schools as well. Hopefully more districts will start to put these career avenues back in high schools. And FWIW, my son's school is a magnet STEM high school and all the kids can go to the university for college credit if they want to pursue a higher education degree, most of those are pre-engineering students. All the kids in our district can get a free college education at our local university as long as they have decent grades, this was a huge consideration for me and the reason why I sent my kids to public schools here as the scholarship is only for public school students.

My son also wants to be an engineer but he is only 12 soon to be 13 and may change his mind like kids do. I wanted him to have a certification in something by the time he graduates high school so he can be self sufficient and have some entreprenurial avenues available to him if he decides college is not for him.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I feel my wallet getting lighter.

People seems to forget how expensive free really is.

I actually like the idea of making CC free. It's paid for by the local counties, and is certainly far cheaper to spend two years there, and then transfer to a university to finish up a degree.

It will create competition for tuitions, and competition always translates into cheaper pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
They are back in my areas high schools due to a lack of qualified workers now in various trades. My son (7th grader) goes to a high school that offers certifications in welding, tool and die, electrical, and CAD amongst others in fields and trades that are in high demand in this area but there are shortages of workers. When they graduate high school, they are highly sought after.
We've had this in SoCal for decades. It's called SCROC here. That's where I learned to weld when I was 17, where my duaghter learned IT/CD when she was 17, and my youngest son learned something (still not sure ) when he was 16.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:14 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....to be fair.....in 1960 the poverty rate for African Americans was 60%....and much of that poverty was abject in the rural south. By 2000 the black poverty rate had fallen to 24%. Such empirical evidence makes it hard to follow your reasoning. Not that the great society programs are are cause for the total drop.....but if big government is so bad then one should see things having gotten worse.....not better.
The problem with your numbers is that poverty has been rising for the last decade. Poverty was already in decline before Johnson's Great Society, and in typical fashion took full credit for something that was already happening.

With the President, the AG, and most heads of agencies being African Americans now... why has black unemployment remained in the double digits, and well above the national average?

If you want something to be inefficient and full of corruption, let the government control it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies