Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a free two year education for only students that graduate?
yes 36 33.03%
no 63 57.80%
Tom Brady is getting another ring this year 10 9.17%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Obama to announce free 2 year community college education for all"

Wow, that's super nice. The man never ceases to amaze me. I'd like to thank all the CC employees for donating their time. Not to mention the text book companies and so on. Do we get free housing too? It would be so much easier to study without the kids and the dog. Please tell me we'll get free parking and meal tickets. I think I'll get several degrees - Auto repair, plumbing, electrical and hair dressing.
How about transportation, babysitter while in class not to mention study time. But a liberal said that was a non-issue. Liberals are already setting themselves up for failure if they don't think these are issues.

Then again with such a low bar, C+ to keep our tax dollar coming. Just think about the skills these people will have when you go to the hospital and a nurse is caring for you. This will make lawyers richer.

Last edited by petch751; 01-11-2015 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 11:13 PM

139 posts, read 250,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How about transportation, babysitter while in class not to mention study time.
Isn't the solution obvious? They'll just need more money. That's always the liberal solution. Not enough money? Just take more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Then again with such a low bar, C+ to keep our tax dollar coming. Just think about the skills these people will have when you go to the hospital and a nurse is caring for you. This will make lawyers richer.
Oh, no. I don't think you realize that these people are all highly motivated, hard-working, genius scholars. They just haven't had a fair shot in life because the evil, greedy capitalists are holding them down simply for their own amusement. Fortunately, the Messiah was sent down from the heavens to sign new executive commandments in order to fend of the great evils of business owners.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That doesn't explain the fact that public schools only educate 1/3 of all students to even basic grade-level proficiency, while 2/3 function below grade-level.
Then change the logic and try getting more teachers to divide the 1/3 off from the 2/3s so we can focus on the problems for the 2/3s. But wait, that costs money and most states complain about the costs to do programs like that. Arizona can't do that, one because we have the Tea Party running the (state) congress and a recently governor is somewhere between libertarian and conservative republican that is suing the settlement to give money to public schools that they were denied due to budget cuts and wants to shift schooling from public schools to giving vouchers for charter schools. And what about those that are left in the public schools if we cannot get enough charter schools.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Obama to announce free 2 year community college education for all"

Wow, that's super nice. The man never ceases to amaze me. I'd like to thank all the CC employees for donating their time. Not to mention the text book companies and so on. Do we get free housing too? It would be so much easier to study without the kids and the dog. Please tell me we'll get free parking and meal tickets. I think I'll get several degrees - Auto repair, plumbing, electrical and hair dressing.
We'll know better on February 2 but I don't think you will be able to get several degrees that way and I believe it will only last about two years as the Tennessee plan it is based on lasts two years (for high school graduates.)

Old 01-12-2015, 05:30 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No details yet. But good news..free 2 year college education for all.
Just need to keep "moderate grades" is all he's asking.

Hoo Ya..I'm going back to college
FYI..I love taking classes and would go to the local CC for a 2 year degree..maybe business, maybe accounting.

It's not limited to teens either. Obama said ALL. I wonder if that includes the illegals.

Obama proposes free community college program
The White House on Thursday announced a proposal that President Barack Obama said would make community college "free for everybody who is willing to work for it." But administration officials provided no details about the program's costs or where the money would come to pay for it.

"It's not just for kids," Obama said. "We also have to make sure that everybody has the opportunity to constantly train themselves for better jobs, better wages, better benefits."
Obama planned to formally announce the plan Friday at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, Tennessee. He gave a preview in a videotaped message shot aboard Air Force One and posted on Facebook.
Lets see who will take advantage of this program. I would bet those who could use it will be least likely to sign up, like the welfare class.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 AM

89,015 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then change the logic and try getting more teachers to divide the 1/3 off from the 2/3s so we can focus on the problems for the 2/3s. But wait, that costs money and most states complain about the costs to do programs like that.
If you had read the professor's article, you'd have learned that it costs nothing to have the same amount of classes, but grouped by skill/ability level (instead of mixing students of all levels in each class) which provides schools the ability to more appropriately target instruction to students' educational needs. Schools that do so are much better at educating all their students. Their test scores haven't fallen over the past 5 decades, while mixed-ability class schools' test scores have dramatically fallen, largely due to the significant decline of middle and top students' test scores.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:35 AM

139 posts, read 250,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Lets see who will take advantage of this program. I would bet those who could use it will be least likely to sign up, like the welfare class.
A little glimpse of "America being educated".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfFZ8z2IyU

Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
A little glimpse of "America being educated".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfFZ8z2IyU
That is exactly what I mean, she is probably only there so they don't cut her welfare off. Why even bother, she doesn't want to be there. High schools are full of the same crap.

Here is a link to the article describing the incident. This class of people needs to be eliminated.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Old 01-12-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If you had read the professor's article, you'd have learned that it costs nothing to have the same amount of classes, but grouped by skill/ability level (instead of mixing students of all levels in each class) which provides schools the ability to more appropriately target instruction to students' educational needs. Schools that do so are much better at educating all their students. Their test scores haven't fallen over the past 5 decades, while mixed-ability class schools' test scores have dramatically fallen, largely due to the significant decline of middle and top students' test scores.
I'd read the article, process it, and decide the relevance if the article was posted. I scrolled back and couldn't find it. If you are going to cite a study, at least link it so we can decide to what degree it is correct if not fully correct or incorrect.

NOTE: I've heard the logic before but never heard how successful it is. I know in my school there was honors classes in middle school (I assume high school as well and I am not talking AP or college credit courses for senior year) but never the success of such a system. I wouldn't even say my school really taught the non-honors classes well. We had many teachers who weren't that good and left in a few years for somewhere else.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:28 AM

89,015 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'd read the article, process it, and decide the relevance if the article was posted. I scrolled back and couldn't find it.
Here's the post with the link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/37982542-post517.html

Quote:
NOTE: I've heard the logic before but never heard how successful it is. I know in my school there was honors classes in middle school (I assume high school as well and I am not talking AP or college credit courses for senior year) but never the success of such a system. I wouldn't even say my school really taught the non-honors classes well. We had many teachers who weren't that good and left in a few years for somewhere else.
Sorting students by ability/skill level needs to start at K and continue through 12th. When students are sorted such, it's SIGNIFICANTLY easier for teachers to much more effectively target instruction to the students' needs. EVERY student progresses, instead of just the low end while the top and middle regress.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 01-12-2015 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies