Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:53 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Excellent, and I agree with 100% of what you said.

But do you realize that your party would take away your rights if they could? Dianne Feinstein, Charles Schumer, and Dick Durbin, all high-ranking Senate Democrats, are all anti-gun. Dianne Feinstein said that if she had the votes, she would mandate "Mr. and Mrs. America" to "turn them [guns] all in." Pres. Barack Obama is on record as supporting a ban on all handguns, and on all semi-auto firearms.

Why do you support a party that is inimical to you?
Well, gun rights isn't the only issue that matters to me. I grew up in a blue collar working class family. I joined the military (HHC Recon 2/325 AIR, 82nd ABN), went to war, went to college, grad school and then started my own business. The opportunities that I had to move up economically were a direct result of the GI Bill, Pell Grants and student loans. The Dems championed those initiatives while the Republicans fought them. Generally speaking, the Republicans represent Wall Street and the super wealthy. Just can't bring myself to vote that way.

That being said, the Dems are definitely wrong about gun rights. Guns are used every year to stop many thousands of crimes by both civilians and police. They are used to stop crime far more often than they are used to commit it. Guns aren't bad, but sometimes people are. Even in those countries where guns are practically banned, like France, they are still used to commit crimes. I really don't understand why some people don't get that.

I'll take my chances with my Glock 27 and thousands of hours on the range over the "I hope the cops get here soon" approach any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 03:58 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
My point is that you sound exactly like the "hands up, don't shoot" crowd. New friends?
My point is government is not going to protect you and is the predator most Americans should realistically be concerned with. Right now it is thinking of ways to fool you into make believe safety based on events abroad.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Those Paris shooters had all been in jail. None of them got guns the legal way especially a rocket powered granade launcher.

Criminals don't care one wit about gun laws. In fact gun laws work in their favor.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
A friend of mines asked me why this kind of thing hasn't happened in the U.S. yet, since guns are so easy to come by in this country. I don't know the answer to his question, but I do know that if more people trained with and carried guns we could prevent/stop these kinds of attacks quickly.

The U.S. should expand concealed carry laws to all 50 states. Of course having a firearm to protect yourself when you need it should be allowed.

I go to the range several times a month to practice and I know the people that I shoot alongside of also carry. I feel much safer knowing that responsible, trained, licensed people are carrying guns in my community. I wouldn't live in a state that didn't allow it.

It's just naive to think that law enforcement is always going to be there to save you. And the anti-gun crowd needs to wake up to the realities of our World and take a little more responsibility for their own safety and the safety of their communities.

Oh, and I'm a Democrat.
That's one hell of a stretch. What's worse...what happened in France or 9/11? What did our gun laws do to stop that from happening.

Ad you being a Democrat does't give your argument any added preponderance.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those Paris shooters had all been in jail. None of them got guns the legal way especially a rocket powered granade launcher.

Criminals don't care one wit about gun laws. In fact gun laws work in their favor.
This is all quite irrational. Civilian weapons are simply not going to work. These guys had enough fire power to take out at least one armed LEO perhaps 2. They would have full control of the tactical situation until at least the arrival of secondary units and maybe until a SWAT unit. That is a lot of minutes...maybe hours.

It is not that civilian weapons are bad...they are simply irrelevant in this sort of military level attack. Just get the concealed carrier killed..

Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Keep your head buried in the sand and ignore the hundreds of thousands of times guns are used EVERY YEAR to stop crime. 400,000,000 guns in the US and anti gun nuts refuse to accept that they're used to STOP crime as often as they're used in the commission of it.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/ Nope, 2nd amendment does nothing to stop crime.
MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime - Washington Times
Guns and Self Defense | Cato Institute Nope, not one of those thousands of points was a crime stopped.

Ignore the statistics, ignore the data, ignore the anecdotes just keep repeating to yourself "guns are evil and kill people".
Thanks, when did I say guns aren't used to stop crime? They are also used to create crime, as well as other forms of uses. Guns are a tool, a gun is not a crime fighting superhero that gun nuts make them out to be.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
This is all quite irrational. Civilian weapons are simply not going to work. These guys had enough fire power to take out at least one armed LEO perhaps 2. They would have full control of the tactical situation until at least the arrival of secondary units and maybe until a SWAT unit. That is a lot of minutes...maybe hours.

It is not that civilian weapons are bad...they are simply irrelevant in this sort of military level attack. Just get the concealed carrier killed..
And many anti gun people want everyone to believe that our civilian "assault weapons" are the same as military assault weapons. Therefore should be banned.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
And many anti gun people want everyone to believe that our civilian "assault weapons" are the same as military assault weapons. Therefore should be banned.
Assault weapons are just silly weapons to begin with.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
A friend of mines asked me why this kind of thing hasn't happened in the U.S. yet, since guns are so easy to come by in this country. I don't know the answer to his question, but I do know that if more people trained with and carried guns we could prevent/stop these kinds of attacks quickly.

The U.S. should expand concealed carry laws to all 50 states. Of course having a firearm to protect yourself when you need it should be allowed.

I go to the range several times a month to practice and I know the people that I shoot alongside of also carry. I feel much safer knowing that responsible, trained, licensed people are carrying guns in my community. I wouldn't live in a state that didn't allow it.

It's just naive to think that law enforcement is always going to be there to save you. And the anti-gun crowd needs to wake up to the realities of our World and take a little more responsibility for their own safety and the safety of their communities. We are back o the defensive and Patton war that doesn't win wars.

Oh, and I'm a Democrat.
Wait until they get going before you think they are not in same position to do what they did on 9-11. they now have home base to train again. The action has move from their home field like pre-obama and democrats to ours.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
Is your friend deaf and blind?

"Since 2006, there have been more than 200 mass killings in the United States.

Well-known images from Newtown, Aurora and Virginia Tech capture the nation’s attention, but similar bloody scenes happen with alarming frequency and much less scrutiny.

USA TODAY examined FBI data -- which defines a mass killing as four or more victims -- as well as local police records and media reports to understand mass killings in America. They happen far more often than the government reports, and the circumstances of those killings -- the people who commit them, the weapons they use and the forces that motivate them -- are far more predictable than many might think."

USA TODAY | BEHIND THE BLOODSHED: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AMERICA?S MASS KILLINGS
Do you know what those places had in common? Want to make a guess?

ALL WERE PLACES WHERE HONEST PEOPLE WERE BARRED FROM CARRYING FIREARMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies