Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
And nobody cares what an atheist thinks about God. Wherever Christianity leaves a vacuum (atheism is a vacuum), Islam fills that vacuum.
That seems to be false notion because here we are with a thread whining about how others see their god, we have an attack on a newspaper on how they made fun of their god. It seems some religious are thin skinned when it comes to their imaginary god.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Art is not truth, but art is NOT subjective either. The argument is that as long as somebody like it then it is art is not necessarily true. To be considered art, the work needs to be something much greater.
Sorry. You have it wrong. Art is whatever somebody wants it to be.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What's the point in caring about what others think about an imaginary being?
What's the point in caring what others think about anything?

Old 01-11-2015, 01:40 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
What's the point in calling out that the emperor has no clothes? It just rocks the boat, doesn't it?

Once the right is challenged to this degree, exercising it can become a point in itself. When the Danish cartoons were first published in one newspaper (Jyllands-Posten), most other Danish newspaper felt it was an unnecessary slight and criticized it roundly. But when Jyllands-Posten was met with attacks, they all printed the drawings, because some things are more important.

And before we get too self-congratulatory about Christianity humbly accepting mockery, it's worth noting that Charlie Hebdo had to defend themselves against attempts to muzzle them in court over 20 times - and those cases were Christians suing. Different means, but most certainly the same desired outcome.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:41 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Sure you have the right to do it but what's the point?
You can criticize the religion all you want and I do that
all the time because I think religion is generally crap.

But I just don't see the point in mocking it in such an
inflammatory manner. I'm not a believer in any religion
but I can see how an image of Allah or Jesus being beheaded
in a cartoon would be very offensive to some people and
just plain hurtful. There doesn't seem to be any point to it
other than to inflame and hurt people.

You have the right to do it but why would you?
I remember a joke a comedian made about a muslim
beauty pageant where all the contestants were wearing
hijabs and I thought that was hilarious. But beyond that
the joke made a point about the ridiculousness of that kind
of dress and there's nothing wrong with that. But to draw
an image of someone's god being beheaded or having gay sex
and publishing in a mainstream paper that is taking it a step too far.

You have the right to do it but that kind of thing just shows lack of good judgment
and poor taste.
What is the point of slaughtering people for mocking their God?

Old 01-11-2015, 01:43 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Sorry. You have it wrong. Art is whatever somebody wants it to be.
okay. That is your opinion. Not mine. I am not saying you are wrong. But to me, Good form and good content make good art.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
And nobody cares what an atheist thinks about God. Wherever Christianity leaves a vacuum (atheism is a vacuum), Islam fills that vacuum.
It is a common misconception that atheists and atheist communities must somehow have a god-shaped void that has to be filled.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:44 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What's the point in calling out that the emperor has no clothes? It just rocks the boat, doesn't it?

Once the right is challenged to this degree, exercising it can become a point in itself. When the Danish cartoons were first published in one newspaper (Jyllands-Posten), most other Danish newspaper felt it was an unnecessary slight and criticized it roundly. But when Jyllands-Posten was met with attacks, they all printed the drawings, because some things are more important.

And before we get too self-congratulatory about Christianity humbly accepting mockery, it's worth noting that Charlie Hebdo had to defend themselves against attempts to muzzle them in court over 20 times - and those cases were Christians suing. Different means, but most certainly the same desired outcome.
Still a big difference between using a nation's courts to fight and using guns to permanently silence.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:46 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't know many 4yr old children who pee in jars and sculpt their feces. Though I don't find that form of art insulting....not my taste in art, but definitely not insulting.

I don't mean just insulting to christians (which I'm sure it is) but just insulting to good taste.

A few months ago an American "artist" put up a giant inflatable phallic looking object in Paris that he himself described as a butt plug and called it art. The next day it was found vandalized and deflated by the locals who called it tasteless and insulting - which was how people in Paris generally felt about it. But at the same time they don't seem to realize that cartoons of allah having gay sex or being beheaded is tasteless and insulting to muslims, many who live in Paris. Tasteless and insulting might be subjective but I think most people can agree those kind of images are highly inflammatory.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:53 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
It is human nature to mock some institutions, like religion. There is a lot of humor in it and hypocrisy....
Tim Minchin is a comedian who makes fun of the pope and religion in general. Very foul, but I see his point. I don't think people should die because they poke fun at serious people. At least the Catholics are not bombing buildings.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies