Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well I can't force people to eat local. I try to buy only what is in season where I live and meat from local farms that I know are humane.
I'm not interested in forcing anyone to do anything either. I just find it a bit inconsistent for those who would never buy Foie because of mistreatment of the ducks will choose to buy prepared foods or beef, chicken and/or pork from grocery stores when it is fairly well known that factory farm animals are abused to quite an extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:32 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Good for you! I try not to eat too much meat myself. And when I can I buy local. You're one person though. And I am willing to bet that most people who express outrage about Foie Gras don't maintain the same outrage towards animal abuse across the board (not that I believe the ducks are being abused in the United States) and choose to still eat animals that are truly tortured and live in horrifying conditions. Just for the record (not that I think this matters much) I have personally eaten Foie Gras once and it was lightly shaved over lightly grilled asparagus with lemon and pine nuts. Delicious! Also don't call me kiddo.
I didn't see much outrage. Just mentions that those that would do this to an animal are pretty scummy.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Young ducks and geese have tubes shoved down their throats and force fed corn meal until their liver becomes inflamed and enlarged. Then they are killed for the liver.
It's an acquired taste only for the super rich.
Generally served by conservative republicans with a substantial tax break or a healthy corporate subsidy and a fine wine.

It's so exclusive that you never even hear from the righties that the welfare queens in their Cadillac Escalades are leaving costco with a load of Foie Gras on their SNAP card.

Yes. A little bit of Freedom for the people has been restored to California.

Who knew that FDR and Oprah Winfrey were "conservative Republicans?" The things you learn on these boards!

Old 01-12-2015, 08:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
You don't live in California, so unless it is illegal in Texas, no one is telling you not to eat foie gras....Speaking of which, when was the last time you enjoyed a nice dish of foie gras?
Two weeks ago.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't see much outrage. Just mentions that those that would do this to an animal are pretty scummy.
What ever you want to call it, doesn't matter. If people choose not to purchase Foie Gras because they think the way the ducks are raised is "pretty scummy" but then choose to buy foods made with conventionally produced meats, or those conventional meats themselves I believe that makes someone a hypocrite.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Outrage about animal abuse is not 'faux' outrage. Educate yourself; I can assure you that others are.
It's not abuse. Educate yourself.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Two weeks ago.
Guess the treatment of your food doesn't bother you. Oh well, just don't think I will eat that crap.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Guess the treatment of your food doesn't bother you. Oh well, just don't think I will eat that crap.
It's not crap. Educate yourself. It's also not abuse. And I have no problem with you choosing what to eat.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not crap. Educate yourself. It's also not abuse. And I have no problem with you choosing what to eat.
What ever lie you need to tell yourself to make your food go down is totally your problem, not mine.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM

Urbanlife78 you seem to make pretty good choices when it comes to the meat you choice to eat. Kudos to you on that. While our views differ on Foie Gras I'm curious, do you, or would you ever eat veal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies