Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 07:57 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Most rich people are rich because they inherited a lot of money.
This is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Most rich people are rich because they serve others well. They offer value, something other people want and are willing to pay for. "As a result" of serving others, they become rich.

Poor are only concerned with serving themselves. Thats why they are called "takers".

Think about it.
Liberals do not understand anything about the notion of capitalism. They only understand monopoly and force - which is why think it is the answer to all problems.

In a free market, capitalist society, people can only get wealthy by providing NEEDS. You have to actually be a benefit to your fellow man in order to make a profit.

Now, liberals assert that the rich buy the government to benefit them. Government interfering in the economy and directing business and production and money flow is what liberals actually promote, and the end result is not noticeably different from fascism - which is state directed, but privately owned, industry and markets.

So, monopolies, "rich people buying government" is a feature of liberalism itself. They are the CAUSE of the problem, not the solution. When the government has no power to direct consumer money, protect markets, or influence spending, then the problems of influence in government vanish.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:05 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Most rich people are rich because they inherited a lot of money.
That is totally false.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It depends on what you call "rich".

But, I do agree.........movie stars.......singers.......sports figures all serve us well.
The money is freely given to their industry.

Unlike the government, that is.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:18 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
Quote:
Most rich people are rich because they serve others well. They offer value, something other people want and are willing to pay for. "As a result" of serving others, they become rich.

Poor are only concerned with serving themselves. Thats why they are called "takers".

Think about it.
Great 30 second sound bite. How long did it take you to "think about it?"

Everyone serves themselves. Think about that.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:22 PM

657 posts, read 695,030 times
Sounds like the OP is definitely not rich, but you got a point...somewhat..

Most people think wealth as something that would immediately change your living status. It's not.. The rich are pretty much synonymous with the poor in the U.S.. Sure, they have nicer looking things, but essentially the same thing. They eat a little healthier as well.

Most people have a home like the rich. They have a car, or cars, like the rich. They are married or single like the rich. They have social gatherings like the rich.

Here is what separates the rich.

- They have a longer insurance policy. They can eat, drive, have a home, etc... for a longer period than the poor.

- their empires normally create a lot of the world's output.

Let's analyze this now. They have an insurance policy which they seldomly use in their lives. And the rich don't drive 1000 cars, they don't eat a million bags of rice, they don't live in a million homes.

Bare with me a bit more. The ones consuming those things are us, the people - not the rich. So I agree that people have the notion that the wealthy are above anyone, they are just like us. But their corporations produce much more than the majority.

Another point I agree with is that if the people could figure this out, they'd realize that they are better off because of the rich and would, hopefully, understand that the level of poverty is the direct result of a lack in productivity. So instead of complaining, get to work for the sake of your and your fellow man's quality of living.

Of course, the government does not help by insentivising laziness. Your choice America...

Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:

Think about it.

Last edited by freemkt; 01-13-2015 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Think about it.

Slumlords serve people well? Landlords serve people better in NYC and SF than in Peoria and Cincinnati? They serve people better in hot markets than in slow markets? I tend to see better service in slow markets than in hot markets, because in hot markets customers aren't as demanding.

Minimum wage workers don't serve people well?

Sometimes I see a business making money hand over fist and think I'd be happy to provide the same thing at a better price.. which means those customers could be served even better than they are being served. So why aren't I rich?

Last edited by freemkt; 01-13-2015 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-13-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Sounds like the OP is definitely not rich, but you got a point...somewhat..

Most people think wealth as something that would immediately change your living status. It's not.. The rich are pretty much synonymous with the poor in the U.S.. Sure, they have nicer looking things, but essentially the same thing. They eat a little healthier as well.

Most people have a home like the rich. They have a car, or cars, like the rich. They are married or single like the rich. They have social gatherings like the rich.

Here is what separates the rich.

- They have a longer insurance policy. They can eat, drive, have a home, etc... for a longer period than the poor.

- their empires normally create a lot of the world's output.

Let's analyze this now. They have an insurance policy which they seldomly use in their lives. And the rich don't drive 1000 cars, they don't eat a million bags of rice, they don't live in a million homes.

Bare with me a bit more. The ones consuming those things are us, the people - not the rich. So I agree that people have the notion that the wealthy are above anyone, they are just like us. But their corporations produce much more than the majority.

Another point I agree with is that if the people could figure this out, they'd realize that they are better off because of the rich and would, hopefully, understand that the level of poverty is the direct result of a lack in productivity. So instead of complaining, get to work for the sake of your and your fellow man's quality of living.

Of course, the government does not help by insentivising laziness. Your choice America...

Yoou're out of touch with reality.. Most poor people have homes - with roommates if they do not have kids in tow. Often drunken, drugged, or violent roommates because poor people can't afford the higher rents that attract better roommates. They often live Hobbesian lives. Vastly different lifestyles. Not even close.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Rich people are always learning, while poor people feel they have learned enough
Rich people adapt and don’t ever feel they know too much and this allows them to learn certain things which make them even more successful.

Poor people feel that they are already quite knowledgeable and therefore miss out on key information which would make them successful and rich.

Rich people believe they have control over their lives
Rich people are successful only because they feel they control over their lives. They feel that only “their” actions will bring results, and therefore they don’t blame external factors. (they don't wait for government)

Poor people always give excuses. When they fail they might blame the economy, their partner, their family, in the most recent times, they blame the rich.

8 Ways the Rich Differ From the Poor | Code of Living

Rich people have control over their lives because they do not have to constantly answer to others. Poor people always have to answer to employers and landlords.

I have zero control over my work environment and my living environment. The resident drunk just blew up at least three times in the last 24 hours and kicked out his girlfriend each time - and those are just the times I know about as I was out of the house almost all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies