Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 12:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The rich invest while the poor spend.
The rich spend their profits while the poor wait until the next check.

And all the media around us just keep telling us to spend some more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Quite a contradiction you got there.

Brilliant! C'mom HT, we're all capable of simple arithmetic.

That's their job. My job is to think for myself. Do you do what the media tells you?
I understood what he was saying. and he is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 12:59 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I understood what he was saying. and he is right.
Did I say he wasn't right? No. Did I say I didn't understand? No. But thanks anyway, petch.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You let a little thing like that get in the way of success? I take back my compliment. You're not the best. You sound like a typical whining loser. "I don't like to write, so the government owes me a living!" Get off your butt and make something of yourself.
LOL wow. Did you have to put your head between your legs and up your backside to spin it like that. Obviously a fly by that didn't make any sense.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
You could get a 2nd job. Oh, that's right, if you do you'll have to pay a chunk of it to the government. As you work your butt off, as your income goes higher the government wants a bigger percentage. Going after the rich doesn't help YOU. Government taking LESS... YOU keeping more of what YOU make will help you.

I have SHIFT constraints because of frequent daytime medical appointments. It means I have limited 8-hour blocks of time to work a full shift. That is one reason I'm trying to get as much online work as I can, as that is work I can do at any time and does not require a full 8 consecutive hours of availabaility. I'm in the 10% tax bracket so I'm not facing a high marginal tax rate.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
LOL wow. Did you have to put your head between your legs and up your backside to spin it like that. Obviously a fly by that didn't make any sense.
My thoughts exactly! Keep 'em comin'.

Here, let me recap. You posted (in so many words), "I, petch, am the best."

I asked why you didn't own the website. You responded that you don't like to read. Therefore, you're not as good as you think you are. Capiche?

Old 01-17-2015, 01:12 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Most rich people are rich because they serve others well. They offer value, something other people want and are willing to pay for. "As a result" of serving others, they become rich.

Poor are only concerned with serving themselves. Thats why they are called "takers".

Think about it.
I was right. I looked at the subject line and thought, this should be good for a laugh.

It was.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I agree but the story contradicts those that explain all success as coming from being white and lucky
The eddy Murphy fantasy dies hard in the hood

Old 01-17-2015, 01:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - You are wrong. There are many "takers" in our economy. Very few of them are poor. These takers are far too connected and efficient to be poor.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:32 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The average person dreams of becoming rich, but with no idea how to get there.

I'd say it's more like "the average person dreams of being rich, but doesn't want to do the things it takes to become rich."

My godfather was a guy with a middle- to upper-middle-class income who lived for 40 years like a lower-middle-class guy and put the rest away in investments. He lived in a house well below his means, drove used Buicks, eschewed extravagant vacations, and was generally frugal in every way, even as his portfolio value grew beyond seven figures. When he finally retired, he bought a near-mansion home and his-n-hers Jaguars. People look at him now and say "I'd like to be like that when I retire." But few have the discipline to do what he did to get there.

Most people don't recognize the value of compounding, and of those who do many don't realize it soon enough in life. $500 a month invested at 7% for 40 years would yield a nest-egg of over $1.3 million dollars. If you wait until you're 45 and do the same for only 20 years, you'll only have a little over $250,000.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
The poor are waiting for politicians to legislate their prosperity. The middle class is waiting to be rescued from financial mediocrity.

The wealthy know no one is coming to the rescue.

Why would they need to be rescued since they are the ones who control the politicians who make the rules in the first place. When was the last time a middle-class citizen became president without the backing of some wealthy people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies