Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 05:46 PM

259 posts, read 178,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Having children when you can barely afford them is a good way to guarantee you'll never be wealthy.

One thing I think you'll find that is very common with wealthy people is that they put off having children until their career/business was well established and they had the sufficient income to continue building wealth while raise children at the same time.
With over population, environmental degradation, and over consumption rampant, I'm not sure anyone really should be having a baby. While poor people having lots of babies is problematic because of the scarcity of resources and potential decrease in quality of life for everyone, the wealthy and middle class also need to limit their procreation since they are by far the largest consumers of resources. Perhaps a bit off topic but such an important issue for me that I had to get it off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:51 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Funny, the Horatio Alger routine is doing the exact opposite of killing me. Swimming laps in the sunshine at my winter home, soaking up the vitamin D and getting exercise, eating well, without the stress of money worries....I think I'll live a long time, which is good, because I want to work until I'm 92--having that much fun in my Horatio Alger business and life.

I've been poor, I've been broke, I've been buried in debt. This is better. One would think more people would try it.
Sure buddy...whatever you say.

Why people come on websites to declare how well off they are is something I'll never understand. They actually think folks believe them.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:01 PM

259 posts, read 178,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Why people come on websites to declare how well off they are is something I'll never understand. They actually think folks believe them.
Give him a break. The guy probably lacks the self awareness to realize how he's coming off as.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:25 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,629,449 times
Its the difference between people and start long before they ever need to get a job or start a company to earn a living by.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyu86 View Post
Give him a break. The guy probably lacks the self awareness to realize how he's coming off as.
Lol...Yeah, that's some serious lack of self awareness he's got going.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:14 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,089,392 times
Quote:
Does the guy that owns the convenience store you work at know how much time you spend online here?
Wait, the lady out on pump four needs assistance. Keep up the good work and someday you'll get a nice trailer in Quartzsite!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 AM

88,714 posts, read 44,496,734 times
Quote:
Having children when you can barely afford them is a good way to guarantee you'll never be wealthy.

One thing I think you'll find that is very common with wealthy people is that they put off having children until their career/business was well established and they had the sufficient income to continue building wealth while raise children at the same time.
Exactly. That's how I did it. It works. Imagine that.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,586,218 times
Quote:

ahhh, the internet, where you can be whatever you want.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,389,992 times
Quote:
Hey, here's some news you can use: when you stick to the truth, you always have the same story for everyone. Life is simple, and zero attention or effort needs to be devoted to how others perceive you. I use my awareness to try to see the world as it is, not fuss about appearances.

But thanks for the laugh. I'm relaxing after the morning swim, and you all helped.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,361,845 times
Quote:

If you expect to never have a career - just crappy jobs - there's not uch to wait for is there in the context of the welfare state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies