Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 08:00 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sounds like you found a word-track to explain your lack of accomplishment. Possibly an excuse for you're lack of talent.
My wife and I both are descendant of coal country families that had nothing, and often died in their forties.
We played by the rules and busted our tails for 30-years and will retire soon, after reaching "critical mass"* last Spring.
The lazy-Left thinks they are entitled to a comfortable life without any effort. Only their vote, as is evidenced by the clown we have in the White House.
BTW you people lost.

*Bob Brinker's Land of Critical Mass : bobbrinker.com Marketimer © Moneytalk Bob Brinker
^^^ See Rebel, these people are people to be proud of. Congratulations on retiring soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:09 AM

21 posts, read 22,302 times
Default The difference between the rich and the poor

That is the most ridiculous post ever. Such generalizations. Not all rich have altruistic motives. Many do the "giving" because it is a tax write off. Many give savings (such as Walmart) because they know that good prices mean more people in to spend money. The poor are not all takers either. Currently we have what is known as the working poor. They work their asses off for $10.00 and get no where. The regular poor are predominantly, women with children, who's boyfriend or husband left them high and dry. Not every one is on the "take". Such a narrow view of the current problem doesn't help anyone, it just perpetuates the myth.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Sounds like you found a word-track to explain your lack of accomplishment. Possibly an excuse for you're lack of talent.
My wife and I both are descendant of coal country families that had nothing, and often died in their forties.
We played by the rules and busted our tails for 30-years and will retire soon, after reaching "critical mass"* last Spring.
The lazy-Left thinks they are entitled to a comfortable life without any effort. Only their vote, as is evidenced by the clown we have in the White House.
BTW you people lost.

*Bob Brinker's Land of Critical Mass : bobbrinker.com Marketimer © Moneytalk Bob Brinker
So...you're descendants of coal country families who worked their butts off, died in their 40's...while mine owners took no risks, and died in their 90's wealthy as heck from your families work. Wow....that sounds sooo awesome.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:16 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I think it is more productive that we can share some great ideas, so we can help each other achieving goals of financial independence. Instead of shaming somebody, offering advice is more productive in my opinion.

I think these are great articles, share with cd posters.

Financial Planning Franklin MI | Seven Simple Secrets of Financial Independence

https://www.mint.com/blog/investing/...-money-052012/

Try it and see how you like it.

Good luck everybody.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So...you're descendants of coal country families who worked their butts off, died in their 40's...while mine owners took no risks, and died in their 90's wealthy as heck from your families work. Wow....that sounds sooo awesome.
OMG.
See, this is what our education system turns out today!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 AM

21 posts, read 22,302 times
I don't know any wealthy but unsuccessful people personally either, but I know of them. Movie Stars, a lot of them, so many of them, seriously wealthy, but drug and alcohol addicted. With all their money, it doesn't make them happy, not if they need drugs and alcohol to keep going. To me that means unsuccessful.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
OMG.
See, this is what our education system turns out today!
LOL. Look, you're descended from people who in my mind deserved a lot more then they got. They worked themselves to death for very little. If you think thats reflective of a poor education thats hilarious.

Look at the history of coal mining, and how they fought against this sort of thing....that you now work so hard to defend. Maybe you should educate yourself.

Also...Im probably older then you suspect.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is why Obama's followers will never be rich. They would rather fight instead of learn. Hey that's your choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That's your problem. you're waiting for someone (Obama) to waive a magic wand and legislate your prosperity. It won't happen.

From the way you think yes, I would make an educated guess that I have more assets, wealth than you, no doubt higher cash flow. But I also know and unlike you I don't begrudge that others have more than me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I retired early because the entitlement to the fruits of someone else's labor mentality I saw daily from liberals on this forum literally made me want to puke. So, f*ck it. I'm no longer their tax slave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. My friend's daughter did a 3+2 BS in Engineering plus MBA in 5 years total at Purdue. Her starting salary right after graduation was nearly $100k. She's moved up quickly since then. Won't be long before she hits $250k while working for someone else.
Quote:
BTW you people lost.

I swear man...even when you guys know your comments sound ridiculous, you just keep doubling down with them.

It's astonishing...really.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:14 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
BTW you people lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What's "sooo awesome" is that finalmove didn't choose the "I'm a victim of the Evil Rich" mentality and spent the effort to reach that "critical mass" to a comfortable life.

We did the same thing - a big part of that is not just working hard, but having a plan/goal/vision for the future and always Spending Less than you make and staying out of debt. We did that also - worked our way through school, started with nothing, inherited nothing and never expected anything from anybody.

This isn't Rocket Science.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
Anyway, I think the main difference is the ability/willingness to save money. Do you blow away your entire paycheck, or make a few sacrifices and save some of it? Once you have enough saved you can invest the money. If you are smart and a bit lucky, your investments should give you another source of income. At the very least, your savings give you some leeway when the rainy day comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies