Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 PM

9 posts, read 18,914 times

Advertisements

Widening bad influence of football

Football fans and players don't seem to understand that human life and life in general is precious. What do we mean when we say life is precious? Is it really considered so? I'd assume most people consider life as precious. Many things go against the principle of holding life precious, football being just one of them. Most of these things are not advertised as being life affirming though (and so are usually held privately). Those activities that are creating heavy losses should not be idolized by such a large audience, but rather kept in a smaller arena. Football was more gentlemanly in the past. I know that sounds strange, but kept in a smaller arena and not advertising the men playing the game so greatly made the game at least seem more gentlemanly. These men were at risk but not subjecting such a wide audience to the effects of the game as they do in today's playing of football. The game has grown in audience, and now it's hard to find any place to not to be subject to it's effects. I'd say football is an unbalanced part of the culture and has had an ill effect that does not hold human life as precious in general.

Now it seems only natural to catagorize these men as celebrities. Interviewers and other well known people would seem foolish in not admiring these men for their efforts in their sport. Are the full effect on society of the widening influence of the game being considered? I personally have hardly noticed football for nearly 30 years, but when younger saw great damage resulting from this game. Now however I live in a community where fireworks are being thrown at all winning games many miles from any stadium. I'm very disgusted by my neighbor's enthusiasm. When younger I'd known of fights breaking out over the game. Young men emulating their heroes had suffered disabling spinal injuries. Even what little I've described seemed like heavy enough losses to me for one to consider that this game does not really consider life and human life as precious. Personally I distance myself as much as I'm able . Unfortunately,my community prides itself on loud flag waving support of it's team ( even though it's a suburban community miles from the stadium). It used to be a quiet and peaceful community. For the last few years though, it has turned into a noise polluted uncomfortable place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Gentlemanly in the past? Head hunting and clothesline tackles were common until the 60's or 70's. Now one gets penalized for that. Many more rules in place to insure the players safety now.

Who says "fans and players don't seem to understand that human life and life in general is precious"? I'd like to see some proof that the NFL is about that. Maybe it's all the charities they support?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies