Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 02:41 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I just find it odd that a pickup costs $46k. A friend of mine told me he was at the Ford dealership and a brand new fully loaded F-150 Platinum is stickered around $65k. I just find the price of new cars is quite absurd. For the foreseeable future, I'll be purchasing used.

Edit: I just went to the website and "built" a loaded out F150 Platinum and it totaled $ 62,620.

Yikes.
Seriously. Think about home prices too. My parents bought their first home in 1961 for $5000. This was a little less than one third of my father's yearly income at the time.

Nowadays it is impossible for most people (those earning under pretty decent 6 figures) to purchase even a modest home without paying three times an annual salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
It does in Illinois. Free housing, free food (including Link Card AND WIC), free college, free utilities (including cell phone), free medical, free cash even a $20 gift certificate every month. Oh and free childcare too. Now they want to include free cable in the deal too. Why work?
If working is such a poor deal, how about you quit? Collect welfare.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Because generally single moms are the ones who get the most in welfare. Besides, I have morals.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The welfare gap is the disincentive of those receiving welfare to actually get off welfare because as you make more money the amount of benefit you receive is decreased leaving you with less total money than you would have if you did not earn more money.

Every state is different because the amount of benefits received is different, needless to say, blue states generally have better welfare benefits than red states exaggerating this issue. Illinios welfare system was recently reviewed.

A quick overview of the findings
There's a Big Poverty Trap in Illinois' Welfare System

For single-parent families, benefits could reach $47,894. For two-parent families, benefits reached up to $41,237 in value.

Combined income and welfare benefits peak at a $12 hourly wage -- after that, benefits begin to drop. Single parents would have to make between $35 and $38 hourly to make up for the benefits that they lose earning at a $12 hourly rate.

If a single mother working for $8.25 to $12 per hour receives a pay raise, bumping her earnings up to $18 per hour, she will end up with one-third fewer resources due to a loss of welfare benefits.

This is further proof that welfare reform is needed. A mix of tapering off benefits over time to encourage people to earn more money and changing the rate at which benefits are reduced as income is increased to reduce the incentives to not earn.
Here's a good illustration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNAtfgW79BM

Old 01-14-2015, 05:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Welfare does not pay for everything. It sure as hell isn't permanent either.

But continue with your ridiculous fantasy.
Well I've never been on the dole so it's never paid for ANYTHING, NADA, for me. If I wanted food, I had to work for a paycheck to buy food, if I want to live inside I had to WORK to pay rent. If I wanted heat, I had to WORK for that too.

NOTHING, NADA, NOT A DAMN PENNY

Old 01-14-2015, 05:20 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
pft... I'm better than that.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:58 PM

200 posts, read 278,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With all the programs to cover other expenses they end up with disposable cash.
But it's not like they are millionaire though; they live week to week on a cash basis.

And it's quite easy for people with less than stellar credit to get nice cars via those "no cash, no credit, no problem" car lots. Those cars have been repo'd more times than they have been owned

Thank you for saying this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies