Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 12:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You can't, because you cannot. You can claim greater literacy, or that a greater number of children could identify India and Peru on the map compared to now, but they can never be more than claims.

When did you go to school?
I entered school in 1960.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 12:28 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Why are you dubious regarding the poster's claim? There are many people graduating from community colleges who have no grasp of history, spelling, grammar and have less than stellar math skills. Geography? Don't make me laugh.
And doing mathematics without calculators. Parsing sentences in grammar. Looking things up in books instead of Google. And they learned penmanship also.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I entered school in 1960.
Was it in the decline then? Was it deliberately lacking in technology so you learn more? What was different about it then that made literacy higher than it is now?

And I'm assuming you were in Sweden then?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
The photo of the kids climbing the ropes is pretty cool. Ahh the 50's when no one worried about helmets or safety. Just kids on a rope. My school had two 20 foot jungle gyms and a swing set that wasn't secured to the ground. Which meant we were 7-year old's launching ourselves into sub-orbit every day at recess. Awesome.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
And doing mathematics without calculators. Parsing sentences in grammar. Looking things up in books instead of Google. And the learned penmanship also.
Why would looking things up in books or learning penmanship = having a better education ?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The photo of the kids climbing the ropes is pretty cool. Ahh the 50's when no one worried about helmets or safety. Just kids on a rope. My school had two 20 foot jungle gyms and a swing set that wasn't secured to the ground. Which meant we were 7-year old's launching ourselves into sub-orbit every day at recess. Awesome.
Now DewDrop just sits around shaking her fist at the sky, while talking about "The good ole days".

Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Was it in the decline then? Was it deliberately lacking in technology so you learn more? What was different about it then that made literacy higher than it is now?

It wasn't, the literacy rate then was slightly lower than it is now.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,895 times
Quote:

No, I attended school here. Was education in decline at that point? Probably, although I went to school in California so I would be a poor judge of that. Was education lacking in technology? It didn't seem to be. This is the educational system at that time that inspired some wonderful innovators whose work we are benefiting from now. What was different then? In large part, if you did not reach a certain level of accomplishment you could not advance to the next grade. Some children were pushed through but it wasn't as common as it is today. I remember having to study the Constitution and having to pass a complicated test or we could not advance to the 9th grade. Parental involvement seemed to be much higher. Not graduating from high school was unheard of in my neighborhood and not going on to college was frowned upon.

When did you attend school?

Old 01-15-2015, 12:49 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Why would looking things up in books or learning penmanship = having a better education ?
The Babylonians must have had the best education. Talk about penmanship...chisel...hammer...strike...chisel...

Old 01-15-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The Babylonians must have had the best education. Talk about penmanship...chisel...hammer...strike...chisel...
They used a reed and clay you goof .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies