Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:24 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You are reiterating that in a first-world country its working citizens should just keep their noses to the grindstone without pause, even when they are sick.

That's not my idea of a civilized, first-world country. Sounds more like a banana republic.

Value?

What a way to demean people.

SMH
Value? The doctor provides value. The bricklayer provides value. The farmer provides value. I'd tell you about the value that I provide, but that would be bragging.

Personally, I am a huge believer in work-life balance. And time off.

Yes, my belief system requires us to be of service to one another as a pre-requisite to success, or to a comfortable life. Yours evidently gives everything to anyone with a pulse. I'll admit one thing: your system only demeans those who make the effort and sacrifice to be of value to others. Your system takes and takes from them, and gives out prizes for merely breathing.

My system honors the doctor and bricklayer and the farmer. What you perceive as some sort of a flaw or moral defect is only the refusal to pretend that value exists where it does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh wow...7 sick days a year will destroy our country. I mean sure, the vast majority of developed nations provide for it, heck most have almost a month of mandatory vacation! And people coming in sick because they have no choice spreads disease to others, but it helps weed out the weak! Right?

The horror of it all, a healthy educated populace is to our detriment. Because by god until we have our people giving 110% and dying at the job (all hail the job creators) we aren't a real country right?

now get back to work, If you have Ebola the least you can do is finish your shift.....
I foresee more full time employees going to be part time employees.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:41 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
What! No free cheese!!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:03 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Why try to mandate 7 sick days a year? Why not instead make the employer pay if the employee is legitimately sick and brings in a doctor's note and proof of being too sick to work?

Having a headache, or some sniffles or coughing isn't really a reason to stay home from work. We have over the counter medications for that. There are also face masks for people with bad coughs.

As to not infecting their co-workers, by the time it gets that bad, it's already too late and they've already passes the germs around.
Bwahahah. When was the last time you saw someone wearing a mask?

Will that employer pay for you to see the Dr too?

And no, The flu? You are contagious for 5-7 days after symptoms appear. You really don't understand this sort of thing do you? Its not instantly BAM you have the flu, the more exposure the higher the risk. In your world you'd expose people all week, whereas if that person went home others would only risk 1 day of exposure. I know which one I would prefer.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I foresee more full time employees going to be part time employees.
Shrug. so another reason to not do the right thing? This is getting old. How about some estimates, or facts to back that up? Or is this just more fear mongering?

Old 01-15-2015, 04:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Shrug. so another reason to not do the right thing? This is getting old. How about some estimates, or facts to back that up? Or is this just more fear mongering?
Coercing businesses is just a bad idea.

Expect a lot of kickback.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Coercing businesses is just a bad idea.

Expect a lot of kickback.
Hmmm thats a fair enough response. I might disagree in some ways-coercing businesses can be a good idea. Is this one of them? I think so. I wont claim I am 100% sure of it, but in all honesty reducing transmission of illnesses is a good plan. A lot of people are focused on the idea that its a giveaway, but the reality is a lot more complex. The United states is incredibly backwards compared to the rest of the world on time off. The fact that giving people 7 days of sick time is such a controversy shows how much the anti-people pro business attitude goes.

a lot of kickback...over giving people 7 sick days a year. Think about how insane that is.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:47 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
.............. The United states is incredibly backwards compared to the rest of the world on time off..............
The rest of the world is incredibly backwards compared to the US in terms of their massive, chronic, high levels of unemployment, and the development of massive unemployed underclasses. See France, Spain, and other wonderlands of worker protections and mandated time off.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:56 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
And is there some valid medical study out there that states that adults in the US are sick on the average of 7 days a year? Where does this 7 days figure come from? Just because it sounds good to Obama?

And actually, if you are sick for a week, you only need 5 sick days to cover it.

I'd support two sick days a year based on my own experience with my health and also my co-workers abuse of the sick days we get at work. If there is some sort of serious hospital stay involved, more sick days could be negotiated.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The rest of the world is incredibly backwards compared to the US in terms of their massive, chronic, high levels of unemployment, and the development of massive unemployed underclasses. See France, Spain, and other wonderlands of worker protections and mandated time off.
Soo...theres massive unemployment everywhere else like Germany, China, Canada, Denmark, UK, Hong Kong, Japan, etc etc etc......because they give people time off? Are you insane?

Seriously? Name ONE developed country that has less time off then the united states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies