Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,686,910 times

Advertisements

Ok this may kinda dumb but:

When the person we support for President doesn't win why don't folks in the US carry on like they do in other countries? Kenya for example... I mean people were really upset that Gore lost the way he did but they sure didn't take to the streets to defend him????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,133,198 times
Well, we, as a nation, do carry on about the loss of our presidential candidate. However, since we have lives to tend to, we usually gripe about it online.

Hence the thread:
Ever wonder what this country would look like now if Gore had been president?

We have many extremes and those are the ones in the street. Most of us just point fingers at these people and laugh.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:13 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,786,618 times
Most Americans don't think they can make a change in a corrupted system. They're too busy with just trying to work for a living to get involved in protests.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 AM

13,628 posts, read 20,692,745 times
Well, as I understand it, the situation in Kenya is based on a tribal dispute. That is pretty much a nonfactor over here.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,739,278 times
I think we here in America have way too much to lose and nothing to gain by taking it to the streets when things don't go our way. While we may do a lot of complaining on places like this about how some things here just don't seem right, we have some damn good systems in place to prevent tyrants from coming into power. It was such a huge concern of our founding fathers that they made a system that really works well. If we happen to elect an idiot, we only have to wait 2 years before we can somewhat counteract that by putting the other side in control of the Legislative branch. Plus, the fact that our President cannot create any laws helps mitigate any damage said idiot can do. Without a sympathetic Congress, our Pres is barely more than a talking head whose only power is to say "no" to Congress, which is precisely how it should be. The worst that can happen is nothing happens as everything grinds to a halt because the Pres and Congress bicker. So, we really have little to take to streets over when and if something goes awry.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,136,888 times
Thankfully, we have a greater degree of civility. It may not seem like it in online discussions and multiple media outlets, but we are actually pretty good about accepting outcomes and moving on.

I think folks just want to gear up to "fix" the problem in the next election, which NEVER gets cancelled.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,317,459 times
There were mass protests in Palm Beach County after the 2000 election.

I was "en route" to participate when I got into a car accident donwtown..... kind of dampened my protestin' spirit, so I never actually made it to the rally!

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,786,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There were mass protests in Palm Beach County after the 2000 election.

I was "en route" to participate when I got into a car accident donwtown..... kind of dampened my protestin' spirit, so I never actually made it to the rally!
The national news media seems to fail too often when reporting local events like that of importance, thus the rest of the country just goes on without any knowledge of whats happening elsewhere. Filtered news

Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,972,913 times
While we may do a lot of complaining on places like this about how some things here just don't seem right, we have some damn good systems in place to prevent tyrants from coming into power.

We do? Bush isn't a tyrant......he stole the vote in the first election.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,317,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Ok this may kinda dumb but:

When the person we support for President doesn't win why don't folks in the US carry on like they do in other countries? Kenya for example... I mean people were really upset that Gore lost the way he did but they sure didn't take to the streets to defend him????
lets see

Kenya:

extreme poverty
there isnt a plasma or lcd tv in every house
people dont have new fancy cars or access to get new ones.
They don't get paid as much as we do

USA:
LCD tvs
PS3 or XBOX 360 in every house
We believe we can make it big if we just "pull ourselves up by the boot straps"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies