Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we all have our conservative and liberal sides, its part of being human.

and oddly enough i also agree that super massive income inequality is not good, but i also believe that its not the governments job to make things equal. better to get the government out of the way and let the free enterprise system work at its best.

i dont mind a progressive tax structure, as long as the system is fair to everyone, and its the tax system that needs to be reformed and simplified.
You don't mind a progressive tax structure as long as it is fair to everyone? How in the world can a progressive tax structure ever be fair to everyone? It's inherently designed to not be fair. If I pay $1,000 in taxes for the exact same benefits that you are paying $2,000 in taxes for, it isn't fair. A progressive tax structure by it's very nature cannot be fair. It's designed to not be fair.
Quote:
again rubbish. what we are saying, if you would bother to actually listen, is that the tax system needs to be reformed and simplified. we dont mind a progressive tax rate structure, but the rules and regulations that go along with the tax system have to be fixed.
Actually, yes, I do mind a progressive tax rate structure. There is no ethical justification for two individuals to be paying different amounts of tax for the same benefits. One person having more money than another person is not a justification for charging that person more tax. "Because you can afford it" is not an ethical reason to treat one person differently than another person. This nation was founded on a principle of respect for private property. That means it isn't up to you or me to decide that someone else should pay more in taxes while we pay less in taxes than they do. That is highly disrespectful of private property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You don't mind a progressive tax structure as long as it is fair to everyone? How in the world can a progressive tax structure ever be fair to everyone? It's inherently designed to not be fair. If I pay $1,000 in taxes for the exact same benefits that you are paying $2,000 in taxes for, it isn't fair. A progressive tax structure by it's very nature cannot be fair. It's designed to not be fair.

Actually, yes, I do mind a progressive tax rate structure. There is no ethical justification for two individuals to paying different amounts of tax for the same benefits.
The ethical justification is to keep the rich from getting richer, and the poor from getting poorer. That's its purpose and design.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The ethical justification is to keep the rich from getting richer, and the poor from getting poorer. That's its purpose and design.
lol. Propaganda. The real justification is to keep the poor out of control and to keep the productive controlled. It's not ethical. It can't be justified. Nice try.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Until US is Greece if they run things. its going to be either reforming taxes or not .First tho entitlements have to be addressed to stop them failing first and creating a crisis worse than what we just had.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,385 times
Quote:

Actually, yes, I do mind a progressive tax rate structure. There is no ethical justification for two individuals to be paying different amounts of tax for the same benefits. One person having more money than another person is not a justification for charging that person more tax. "Because you can afford it" is not an ethical reason to treat one person differently than another person. This nation was founded on a principle of respect for private property. That means it isn't up to you or me to decide that someone else should pay more in taxes while we pay less in taxes than they do. That is highly disrespectful of private property.
Exactly. You can also say that one person has more muscles than the other, and "you can afford with less healthcare " so let's give the more muscled person less healthcare.

You can tell a tall person "you are too tall" and so the shorter person should get whatever first.

See, it's completely subjective. It's set up to reward favored individuals and groups and punish others. The left ideology is always about controlling, coercing, and punishing. They never seem to be able to grasp the concept of equality and fairness.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
lol. Propaganda. The real justification is to keep the poor out of control and to keep the productive controlled. It's not ethical. It can't be justified. Nice try.
What on earth are you talking about? Keep the poor out of control? Progressive taxation is designed to keep the poor out of control... If you say so. I'll take propaganda over unintelligible statements.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
So when most if not all the millionaires in the US leave the country how do you plan on replacing there tax contributions?
From the people who replace them. If every millionaire left they would be replaced

Old 01-18-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
From the people who replace them. If every millionaire left they would be replaced
Which is why no one is leaving. Where do people come up with these ridiculous ideas? Nobody sells his business and home, packs up and leaves the country to make a political statement. And no businessman quits his business because of taxes. Who spreads this nonsense?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:52 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times
Quote:

So people living paycheck to paycheck should have to pay 20%, or whatever, in taxes cause that would be "fair"?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:57 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
The top 1 percent also abuse the most loopholes though so they don't actually end up paying as much as you think they do. The tax code was rigged in their favor to begin with, after all, they're the ones that bought the politicians and the votes for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_more_handouts View Post
The top 10% of earners are already paying about 70% of the tax revenue. How much more is it going to take before you're satisfied? 80%? 90%? You want the top 10% to just pay all of the taxes? Just what amount do you consider to be "their fair share"?
The highest tax bracket is about 40 percent, along with all the loopholes they abuse. Sorry I doubt very many are feeling sorry for them. They pay the most because they are squeezing the most blood out of the turnip. See : CEO pay in relation to the common worker makes.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-19-2015 at 12:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies