Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,120,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
And then there are those who might be expresso.
...or, perhaps, Sambuca Romano (annisette) . Nice way to lighten the load, ontheroad, which is probably why so many in here respect you and your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM

473 posts, read 700,948 times
Default labeling

well, thanks, b.frank, that was the kind of answer I was hoping for. See, even using the term 'Negro' (and isn't this still the terminology for the race itself, or am I wrong here?) could be construed as 'offensive.'

I'd hoped that there might be some answers from those in this 'racial category' themselves, if you know what I mean.

I love coffee -- and I'll drink it black, or espresso, or with lots of milk or cream -- as long as it has a lot of SUGAR, if you get my double meaning!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:41 PM

932 posts, read 1,676,953 times
Nope Nims, Nergo is an offensive term that coincides with colored and the other "n" word.

Personally I do not see myself as African American because I was not born in Africa so I just consider myself American. My great-grandmother was a white Irish woman who happened to have one mixed child out of 12(long story)...anyway I consider myself a "black" woman even though my complexion is light brown or caramel as I would like to call it. lol. I do not think that others would object to being called black either.

To me being called black acknowledges the fact that I am as American as a white person is.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

130 posts, read 147,017 times
I'm Black and all my Black friends and family go by "Black". If that helps

Old 01-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Thanks, LoveMii, I was hoping for such a response. I guess I'm backward or something, but I used 'Negro' because I honestly thought it was the most neutral word. Personally, I prefer 'Black' if there has to be a label.

Keep educating me, please!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 PM

Default thanks SeaTown,

this is the kind of answer I'd hoped for.

We need to remember, as Mikey_NC posted, that we are all brothers and sisters and HUMANS. Regardless of the subject, the purpose of courtesy in responding to others is so that the honest meaning in the words isn't obscured by a knee-jerk reaction to emotionally-loaded content. It is important to be aware of others' reactions, and to take care not to offend.

iI'm reading 'Blood Done Wrote My Name' by Timothy Tyson at the moment -- it is the non-fiction accounting of racial tensions in the 1960s in North Carolina (specifically the town of Oxford) and it is raising my consciousness a LOT. We have come so far since that time, but there is still so much farther we have to go.

I want to do my part.

Thanks for helping -- please keep up!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
There is some great literature that might inform you; one comes to mind that clearly distinguish the differences among blacks by one of the Harlem Renaissance Writers, The Wedding, Dorothy West.

Lots of folks, no one answer, except to be respectful and sometimes that requires asking our neighbours and/or friends directly how they want to be called.

I've had this very discussion regarding those who identify as of Spanish heritage. Do you want to be called Latino/a or Hispanic. No two answers are the same, and the reasons differ widely.

I'm looking forward to answers with reasons, myself.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:59 PM

Default If...

If anyone has any comments to make that you feel are too inflammatory for the Forum, please feel free to DM me. I am really passionate about this subject and have very little chance for dialogue with non-whites on this.

Thank you for educating me. I hope you have an idea of how valuable all the responses have been!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Nims, my first reaction to your question was to assume that you were being sarcastic and making your best effort at racial humor. But I'm operating in faith that your questions are legitimate.

Although I don't speak for all Black folk, I will say that people who actually take the time to ask about Black people and Black perspective, always gain respect our respect.

Thank you for taking the time to start a legitimate dialogue.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM

932 posts, read 1,676,953 times
Yea I know what you are trying to get across...i wish there were more people out there that tried to understand what the "label" really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies