Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:47 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
....explores a lot of common fupaws whites tend to assume....
Is this supposed to be faux pas? I don't know what fupaw means and it's killing me...

Honestly, I think it likely that there would be no universally accepted term, even in one specific area. Some folks will prefer one term and others will prefer another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:54 AM

746 posts, read 846,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Is this supposed to be faux pas? I don't know what fupaw means and it's killing me...

Honestly, I think it likely that there would be no universally accepted term, even in one specific area. Some folks will prefer one term and others will prefer another.

haha yes deerislesmile faux pas is correct lol ....

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM

7 posts, read 17,020 times
Wink It's OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
If you really want to do it right I think you should stop using the word "negroes" as I believe this is found to be highly offensive. Most want to be referred to as "Black" not "African American".
I know that, in general, many of us "Blacks", "African-Americans", "People of Color", "non-white" persons all have our own aversion to some race descriptive word or another. Speaking as a Black woman, I don't have a problem with any of the more current, politically correct, adjectives that are used today, and I believe that most other ethnic groups would feel the same provided the context of its usage is well intentioned and not maliced or evil-spirited. So, don't fret over the verbiage of it all. Keep in mind that the same descriptive phrases that don't threaten or offend you, would, in-kind, be similarly unthreating and inoffensive to us.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
After taking Anthropolgy for a few years I learned there are three groups, Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid. I suppose if it's scientific it can't be offensive.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM

222 posts, read 691,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
After taking Anthropolgy for a few years I learned there are three groups, Caucasoid, Negroid, Mongoloid. I suppose if it's scientific it can't be offensive.
Just because it's scientific doesn't mean that it can't be offensive. America has in part made a lot of false racial claims based on science (and the bible).

Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
Just because it's scientific doesn't mean that it can't be offensive. America has in part made a lot of false racial claims based on science (and the bible).
Well then, we should all keep our mouths shut so we don't offend anyone, ever.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Well then, we should all keep our mouths shut so we don't offend anyone, ever.
Never said that. Just making the point that just because it's science doesn't make it PC. You will never be able not to offend someone even your own children. Point is using Negro can be considered offensive nothing else. Back to the topic of the OP.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 PM

473 posts, read 701,141 times
Smile using 'Negro'

Hi -- I'm the OP.

This was exactly what I was hoping I'd read when I asked my original questions. Suppose (not knowing any better before this thread was started) I'd asked a Black person (as part of a conversation we were having) something that included the word 'Negro.' I would have been offending that person, completely unaware.

I know that history has made a lot of us very sensitive. I'd like to avoid any problems before I might step right into them without even realizing it!

I come from the Northeast (surprised?) I was raised in a well-off area. But -- I went to an city high school with plenty of black kids. There wasn't a lot of mixing, but the potential was always there and I did have black friends. There also weren't any problems with race (that I ever knew about) and that was pre-MLKing's 'I Have A Dream' speech.

Now I live in Florida, but we will be moving to a small community in NE NC. So I want to start off right!

I am VERY GRATEFUL for all the straightforward answers I've gotten here. Anything you want to say to me but not on this Forum, please feel free to DM me, and I will reply.

I realize there are many issues that I am ignorant of -- educate me, then!
I know I may be reflecting stereotypes and attitudes without realizing it -- correct me, then!

This is for you as much as it is for me. It is IMPORTANT -- very important -- that we try until we GET IT RIGHT.

I'd really like to hear YOUR OPINION. (But don't forget -- look into my eyes; see, I'm still S M I L I N G at you!

Sincerely,
Nims

Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 PM

I forgot to add. I was born and raised in upstate NY now living in NC.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Nope Nims, Nergo is an offensive term that coincides with colored and the other "n" word.
Hmmm. Interesting.
40 years ago, the term "Negro," often pronounced "Nigra" here in Alabama, was considered the most inoffensive and respectful term, with "colored" almost as respectful. Then the term "Black" was introduced.
Shows how things change.
Personally, I hate the term "cracker." This originally meant a rural white person from Georgia, and nowhere else. I was very offended to be called a "cracker," not because I'm white, but because I'm NOT from Georgia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies